Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Cliffony photowalk of furious thunder, September 10-11

• 29-07-2011 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

Update 10/08: Bump!

Update #2 30/07: Payment information.

Update #1 30/07: Food information.

1.jpg

When: Saturday 10 and Sunday 11 September, 2011.

Where: Cliffony, Co. Sligo, Ireland. We are situated beside the N15 road right on the outskirts of Cliffony as you approach the village from Sligo town. (54.428231,-8.458785)

Cost: €10, payable by Monday September 5 2011.

How do I reserve my place? Pay the deposit fee or let me know either here or via email

What should I bring? A sleeping bag, a tent, weather-appropriate clothing and your camera gear.

Tell me more...

This grand adventure began as a humble one-day photowalk, but the extreme location (travel across Ireland until you run out of Ireland to travel across. That's where I am) and the promise of nighttime photography prompted me to extend it overnight. So there you go, a two-day event.

And there you have it, another photowalk organized by myself. This one is being held in celebration of my family and I moving home from Galway to Sligo and starting school.

But wait, there's more! You do not need to be a photographer to attend, no sir, no ma'am. Any geek is welcome to come up to our house over the weekend. You are welcome to sit on our couch, welcome to use our Internet and welcome to eat our food. This wonderful caveat comes courtesy of the hackers at Galway's 091 Labs who jumped at the idea of food and couches, but were put off by the lack of a camera.

Final details of the actual walk route will have to wait until I actually move to the area and get a feel for good routes, but I want you all to to mark your calendars and book time away from work and spouses now!

Dinner

The €10 is to cover food and other expenses that might be incurred during the camp out. My wife is an excellent cook and promises a three-course dinner, full lunch and breakfast on the Sunday morning:
    I will probably do a pulled pork or a rolled roast and some roasted chicken with roasted potatoes, vegetable salad and bread for dinner. Brownies and ice cream for dessert. Lunch will be green salad cheeses, cold cuts, fresh bread and pasta salad. Breakfast on Sunday will be cheese omelet with sides of crumbled bacon ham, sautéed mushrooms, bell peppers, spring onions and sour cream. They can build their own with whatever toppings and we will have waffles with syrup, sausages, bacon, toast, jam, coffee, tea, juice, water and soda.

Please alert me in advance if you have food or animal allergies, or require a special diet.

The schedule

The draft schedule for the weekend is as follows:
    • Saturday lunchtime: Everyone arrives, sets up their tents, has a light lunch and then departs toward Mullaghmore/Cliffony beach for a photowalk.
    • Saturday evening time: We return to the house, unload our photographs, have dinner and chill out for a few hours.
    • Saturday night: If the weather permits, I want to return to Cliffony beach for night time shooting. I plan to give an impromptu class on long-exposure, star trails and interesting bits and bobs in the sky.
    • Sunday morning: Breakfast, tidying up and departure.

Fine details of the route and any workshops will be made available as we get closer to the weekend It's safe to say that we will be spending a fair bit of time on the Saturday down on the beach.

Email mark@bhalash.com for more information or with your own suggestions for activities over the weekend.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Count myself and MissusP&B in. Think this will be our tent photowalk this year ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Ah ****sticks! I just realised i have a feckin wedding that weekend! Any chance you could do the weekend after? I miss sligo :(

Bats eyelids, etc. Etc...
    Fenster wrote: »
    When: Saturday 3 and Sunday 4 September.

Where: Cliffony, Co. Sligo, Ireland. (54.428231,-8.458785)

What do I need...? A tent, a sleeping bag, a camera and a toothbrush.

Cost: €10 (see below)

Hmm, okay. Another photowalk organized by myself. This one is being held in celebration of my family and I moving home from Galway to Sligo and starting school.

The €10 is to cover food and other expenses that might be incurred during the camp out. My wife is an excellent cook and promises a three-course dinner, full lunch and breakfast on the Sunday morning. (And we take requests. :) We will also have parking for five cars, a charging station, toilet and shower, camping space (and a patio floor if you lack a tent) and Internet access for comers.

Final details of the actual walk route will have to wait until I actually move to the area and get a feel for good routes, but I want you all to start marking your calendars and booking time off now. The rough schedule for the day and night is this:

Saturday 1pm: Everyone arrives, sets up their tents, has a light lunch and then departs toward the beach for a photowalk.
    Saturday later-than-1pm: We return to the house, unload photos, have dinner and take a break.
    Saturday much-later-than-1pm-and-in-fact-after-sunset: We leave the house once again to hit the beach for long-exposure photography. Star trails, star-spotting and ISS-spotting, if the weather permits it..

Email mark@bhalash.com for more information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Changed. Again.

No more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Changed. Again.

Many thanks. In like Flynn!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

And I am in there like swimwear. Will paypal you the money as soon as I've paid for today's workshop..
    Changed. Again.

No more!

• Advertisement

Received, cheers Sinead!

Paid! Just found out that if I pay with paypal as a "Living Expense" rather than a gift, then there are no charges for me or the recipient! #WIN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Is the date fixed now? I would like to attend, but will be enjoying the lovely night drive back home. After dinner, of course ;)

It's fixed!

The link opens blank event for me, so it looks I am not going anywhere...

• Advertisement

I'm working on that. If all else fails I'll just put out an uploadable .ical event.

The event only displays correctly if an account from within my organization (I'm an apps customer).

I will edit the event: If you wish to reserve your place, specify here and then try to have your ten euro to me before September 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭ShaneM

Update #2 30/07: If you are serious about attending then we would like you to pay for your place no later than Monday September 5. You can Paypal the money to mark@bhalash.com. Please include a short note explaining who you are so we have names. :)

Update 30/07:
    The Wife wrote:
    Inquire about food restrictions to see if there are any allergies or vegetarians.

I will probably do a pulled pork or a rolled roast and some roasted chicken with roasted potatoes, vegetable salad and bread for dinner. Brownies and ice cream for dessert. Lunch will be green salad cheeses, cold cuts, fresh bread and pasta salad. Breakfast on Sunday will be cheese omelet with sides of crumbled bacon ham, sautéed mushrooms, bell peppers, spring onions and sour cream. They can build their own with whatever toppings and we will have sausages, bacon, toast, jam, coffee, tea, juice, water and soda.

When: Saturday 10 and Sunday 11 September, 2011.

Where: Cliffony, Co. Sligo, Ireland. (54.428231,-8.458785)

How do I reserve my place? Follow this link to the Google Calendar event.

What should I bring? A sleeping bag, a tent, weather-appropriate clothing and your camera gear.

Cost: €10 (see below)

Hmm, okay. Another photowalk organized by myself. This one is being held in celebration of my family and I moving home from Galway to Sligo and starting school.

The €10 is to cover food and other expenses that might be incurred during the camp out. My wife is an excellent cook and promises a three-course dinner, full lunch and breakfast on the Sunday morning. (And we take requests. :) We will also have parking for five cars, a charging station, toilet and shower, camping space (and a patio floor if you lack a tent) and Internet access for comers.

Final details of the actual walk route will have to wait until I actually move to the area and get a feel for good routes, but I want you all to start marking your calendars and booking time off now. The rough schedule for the day and night is this:

Saturday 1pm: Everyone arrives, sets up their tents, has a light lunch and then departs toward the beach for a photowalk.
    Saturday later-than-1pm: We return to the house, unload photos, have dinner and take a break.
    Saturday much-later-than-1pm-and-in-fact-after-sunset: We leave the house once again to hit the beach for long-exposure photography. Star trails, star-spotting and ISS-spotting, if the weather permits it..

Email mark@bhalash.com for more information.
    Count me in. This should be fun.

Bump. There's a big update coming into the original post up above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Updated.

Thanks for the update, Sarah! I have been adding on, adding on and adding on to the main post, so I felt the moment was ripe for an update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

I had confirmed on Facebook my attendance but that has changed. I won't be making it. Enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

:(@darren

Having said that I still don't know if I can join. Bought a bigger tent than for Charleville nonetheless and should know before 5th.

Damn, Darren. :(

Details, details, details!

We have room in our front and back (it's all gravel) for at most five cars and ten-fifteen tents if you don't mine cramming in. If you do not have a tent, don't worry: We have a spare bunk bed, futon bed and couch, as well as ample floor space in our living room for any takers who don't mind children or cats.

Our day and night route will probably take us down and along the beach and back to the house. I'm going with the same route on both occasions for the sake of familiarization.

Please pack warm clothes if you intend to come for the night walk. We will be on the beach or sand dunes for some time and it is important that you remain comfortably warm through this. Hats, gloves, boots and a jacket are recommended.

The weather has been very changeable and will probably remain so by the time of the walk. Short of the sky pouring down buckets of water on us we will be going ahead as dramatic cloudy skies are equally good on a walk.

• Advertisement

Twoooooooooooooooo weeks!

I've been pondering routes for the photowalk, and rather than hit the beach twice (day and night), we might instead bundle into cars and drive up into the Grange mountains near my home. There are a few great spots and viewpoints in the locale.

How many people will have cars (consider this a poll for parking spots needed)? We'll have some coming by bus who will need carrying.

One car here (as far as I can trust the future) coming from Dublin in the morning. No passengers acquired yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭picaaf

my+1 wants to go camping and i can come along. now...how to find that paypal thingy. you can count on the rusty trusty laro plus us. oh, and a tent :D

Received, thank you! :D

1.jpg

This comes to us mere food mortals from the statuesque Olympian that is my wife:
    If there are any food allergies or requests please let me know in advance - I can easily prepare vegetarian, dairy or gluten free if needed.

Accompanying this is a request for me to poll those of you who are coming for the photowalk: Do you want the chicken or pork main dish? This is important. Please let me know before Wednesday.

Saturday Lunch
    Green salad and bread rolls.
    Assorted cheeses and deli meats.
    Creamy pasta salad with feta, peppers, red onion and garlic.

Saturday Dinner
    Slow roasted pulled pork with American BBQ, Mexican salsa or apple onion gravy.
    Honey herb roasted chicken.
    Roasted mixed vegetable with potatoes, parsnip, carrot, red onion.
    Green salad and assorted bread.

Saturday Dessert
    Fudge brownies.
    Vanilla ice cream.
    Chocolate chip cookies.

Sunday Breakfast
    Omelet bar with cheese or plain omelet, and sides of crumbled bacon, diced ham, sautéed mushrooms, diced bell peppers, spring onions and sour cream.
    Belgian waffles.
    Oatmeal.
    Sausages and bacon.
    Toast.

Beverages
    Coffee, tea, juice, water all provided.
    Please bring your own soda or adult beverages.

the +1 one and me are waiting for ideas for own tonights dinner,
    for saturday we both go for the pulled pork, alsjeblieft
    (oh and we'll bring koekjes)

Noted.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭ShaneM

Chicken or pork is fine by me. At a push, I'd go for chicken. But seriously, you guys are doing too much. Honestly.

Pork sounds good to me.... getting hungry now reading that menu!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Oink! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

the pork sounds good. and i'll bring my own soya milk to save ye buying it for one.

All menu choices so far have been noted.

If the current bad weather persists, then this whole event may be remembered as the "phototalk of furious thunder". We have room aplenty for everyone to sleep inside the house if the ground is too wet or the weather on the night is too windy.

I still plan to visit Truskmore on the day if possible, but I have fallback plans in place that bring us to locations much closer to home.

Please bring your own cutlery!! This is a last-minute oh siht realization on our part, sorry guys. :o

Please bring your own cutlery!! This is a last-minute oh siht realization on our part, sorry guys. :o

plates, cups, mugs etc. too methinks.

anything else?

Potatoes and veg for me. If I pay, of course :-)

ThOnda wrote: »
    Potatoes and veg for me. If I pay, of course :-)

You need a good blue steak along with those potatoes and veg!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

Thought potatoes are vegs??
    #hidesincorner

Potatoes are carbs, I don't count them among vegetable.
    So, cutlery, tripod and knife. And ducktape. Shovel and black bin liners. Anything else?

ThOnda wrote: »
    So, cutlery, tripod and knife. And ducktape. Shovel and black bin liners. Anything else?

Camera?

Why camera? I am going there to eat :) I don't want to get any dust or rain on my precious (camera) gear :D

The best photowalk ever!!!!

98F200CF51E24D25BC7816A85DF20537-0000318206-0002536531-00800L-DAD2771088884F118D8FFA0B917CC26C.jpg

• Advertisement

Clinking on the picture of the main culprit, you will get to the Flickr set from the walk.

6137232661_5cba27d19a_o.jpg

My epic ~1600 word blog post is online:

http://www.bhalash.com/archives/1466602642

Trespass.......

FA55A507A3C445ED94BF593DDF3D95F0-0000320339-0002539046-00750L-8AD0C29AB73348AB850236802947ADAD.jpg

Click through for more......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Lots of fun images so far. I will have a post up later collating links to galleries. :D

Advertisement