Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photo Thread.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

Deutz G611 at Dunsandle on a mixed Loughrea/Attymon branch train. The age difference between loco and the passenger carriage must have been considerable! Not sure of the date. A digital print is available on eBay - sorry can't find the listing tonight.

G611%2BWHERE.JPG

Beautiful. I can understand why Ireland's railways were considered so romantic looking at this photo. I know it was a hard life for folks back then, but we really have lost something special and magical.

Looks like there are pallets of bagged cement or something in goods shed too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

picture.php?albumid=2276&pictureid=14213

A CIE poster with a 141 (B163) and an odd Clockwork Orange bowler hat thing going on in the background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

From the days when trains were really useful. The last time I traveled from Dun Laoghaire Pier was on an RPSI special with 184 or 186 - forget the details. Print below is for sale on eBay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IRISH-Loco-260-at-Docks-Station-/190755229878?pt=UK_Collectables_Railwayana_RL&hash=item2c69e5d0b6

260%2Bat%2BDun%2BLaoghaire%2BPier.PNG

260 at Dun Laogahire

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

From the days when trains were really useful.

yeah, CIE management will make sure their no more use then a blade of grass and the government won't do anything to make them make the trains useful, to CIE management their just there so they can live out their days until the pension, and the government a nightmare that they couldn't just get rid of over night because of the fallout, better to play the long game of slowly running the lot into the ground.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

From the days when trains were really useful. The last time I traveled from Dun Laoghaire Pier was on an RPSI special with 184 or 186 - forget the details. ..........

I was on it for real back in the good old days !!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

DSCF2384.jpg

A B+W shot of passengers awaiting the RPSI Santa Special to arrive into Westland Row last Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It is a rather bleak place, even in colour.

It is a rather bleak place, even in colour.

It's not the most bright place though the refurbishment has helped somewhat.

One of Downpatrick from the ITG diesel day; it could well be a scene from the mid 70's.

DSCF2345.jpg

It's not the most bright place though the refurbishment has helped somewhat.

One of Downpatrick from the ITG diesel day; it could well be a scene from the mid 70's.
    I was there too, can't say I'd have recognised you though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Just posted to the Letterkenny town FB page. Barnesmore Gap. No date.
    barnesmoregap.jpg

dregin wrote: »
    Just posted to the Letterkenny town FB page. Barnesmore Gap. No date.
    barnesmoregap.jpg

I'd guess that train as being early 50's, based on the miss mash of rolling stock on hand. The CDRJC rarely ran steam passenger trains as they had a fleet of capable rail buses to call upon. When they did run steam passenger trains it was for a special event or occasion locally so it's possible that the photo is of a train for the 12th July or a GAA match, both of which provided a lot of traffic on railways in and around Ulster.

Incidentally, there would have been a second steam engine on the rear of that train; the Barnesmore gap was one of the most notorious climbs on any line :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Another interesting view of Ardnacrusha (slide currently on eBay) which should be viewed with my previous pic here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80421090&postcount=469

Ardnacrusha.JPG

Those Ardnacrusha pictures are the first I've ever seen of the spur. I remember the track was there in the 1980's but when was it last used?

And what was it used for - given it was a hydro electric plant so nothing comes in and out by way of raw materials and finished goods?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dowlingm

What a different railway we might have today if that spur had been electrified and expanded on!

dowlingm wrote: »
    What a different railway we might have today if that spur had been electrified and expanded on!

The Up a Dam Railway? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

What line was/is this a spur off of?

What line was/is this a spur off of?

Limerick-Ennis.

Those Ardnacrusha pictures are the first I've ever seen of the spur. I remember the track was there in the 1980's but when was it last used?

And what was it used for - given it was a hydro electric plant so nothing comes in and out by way of raw materials and finished goods?

Electrical equipment? Anyway, it branched off the main Limerick/Ennis line at Longpavement and latterly a portion remained in use into the dump at Longpavement. I believe the rails (they were still there in the early 1990s) eventually found their way to Moyasta but I doubt that they were reused.

Electrical equipment? Anyway, it branched off the main Limerick/Ennis line at Longpavement and latterly a portion remained in use into the dump at Longpavement. I believe the rails (they were still there in the early 1990s) eventually found their way to Moyasta but I doubt that they were reused.

Maybe they're the rails that the ITG locos are sitting on. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

Something a bit different taken from NASAs page on Facebook of a Soyuz rocket been rolled out by an engine in Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan on Monday past

The_Soyuz_rocket_is_rolled_out_to_the_launch_pad_by_train_on_Monday_Dec_17_2012_at_the_Baikonur_Cosmodrome_in_Kazakhstan_Launch_of_th.jpg

• Advertisement

Yesterday saw the last day of the DCDR Lapland Express trains. A more sedate alternative to the mainline RPSI Santa Specials, the services serve the Loop line platform include a propelling maneuver; a rarity on today's railway. All trains bar one ran full with over 400 passengers being carried on the Sunday alone. Here we see O+K 1 coming home to Downpatrick with her third service of the day; an apt post for the season that we are in.

DSCF2470_zps4185aa63.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LivelineDipso

dowlingm wrote: »

Just read today that the DUTC powered their trams and electric freight locomotives using power from Ardnacrusha when the generating plant came on stream. The EBS made a deal with the DUTC and the tram company were delighted to take up the offer as they could reduce costs by closing their Ringsend generation station.

Apparently it was a happy arrangement while it lasted. So in a sense Ardnacrusha did power and eletric railway system until 1949.

Another intersting fact that between 1916 and the end of the civil war not only did the DUTC manage to maintain the same level of services as in peacetime, they made a profit year after year. Amazing really.

They actually introduce a parcels service that was a huge success during these terrible times.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Taken from here.

tunnel.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭ThreeLineWhip

france.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭ThreeLineWhip

Where is that location ThreeLineWhip brilliant photo - lovely Victorian brickwork - those arches etc. :D
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemin_de_fer_de_Petite_Ceinture

It is part of that line.

Looks very well for a line that's been abandoned for 80 years! :eek: If that were in Ireland then the whole thing would be covered in trees and shrubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,372 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think there are similar walls in Leicester.

Apparently work is underway on the New Ross branch at last.

New%2BRoss.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Temp101

Good heavens, look at that lot! How much in danger they all are!

They've no high-viz vests on!

• Advertisement

Apparently work is underway on the New Ross branch at last.

New%2BRoss.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that I've seen that photo dug before, JD, and I'm scoobydubious of it's authentic yellowbelliness :)

Advertisement