Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photo Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Evening all,

As the sun was out today I had a quick lunchtime visit to Rosskelton for the 1300 Heuston - Cork and 1220 Cork - Heuston.
    http://smu.gs/Nof5te

DSC_3275-M.jpg

The Wanderer.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

angelIRL wrote: »
    2819/20 operating Cork/Cobh services
    F.
    are 28 and 2600s swapped between cork and limerick or was their a failure?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Evening folks,

Managed to slip out to a few locations around Laois today.
    - Rosskelton
    - Carn
    - Deerpark
    - Portarlington.

Photos start at http://smu.gs/1chm8Pv

DSC_3316-M.jpg

The Wanderer.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/wandererphotos
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thewandererphotos

are 28 and 2600s swapped between cork and limerick or was their a failure?

The 2600 class are allocated to Limerick Depot, they are outbased at Cork for Cork Suburban services. They return to Limerick every two weeks for the "B Exam". They get the "A Exam" at Cork Slab.

Cork Drivers are trained on the 2800 Class, so if there is a shortage of 2600's, for whatever reason, Limerick can send Cork a 2800 Class to cover the shortage. This is what happened earlier in the week.

The Wanderer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Aren't the 26s and 28s basically the same unit? They used to run in mixed formations on the Northern commuter line in the early 2000s with 26s and 28s mixed together and later mixed livers and units in the same train with the Arrow and Commuter livers clashing.

• Advertisement

Aren't the 26s and 28s basically the same unit? They used to run in mixed formations on the Northern commuter line in the early 2000s with 26s and 28s mixed together and later mixed livers and units in the same train with the Arrow and Commuter livers clashing.
    their definitely made by the same company, they have the same engines, generators, and i believe gear boxes also, i'm sure if their are any other differences, i think 1 has plastic panneling below the windows and the other timber panneling below the windows but i could be imagining that

The interiors are different for sure, but as you say, mechanically they're very similar.

The are only minor interior differences, the main one being the seating used (inferior in my view) and a different seating layout. There are some underfloor differences but to all intents and purposes they are very similar.

don't the 2600s have thin seats compared to the 2800s? think they have less tables also?

Afternoon all,

Saturday morning was looking promising with the 0800 Heuston - Cork rumoured to be 2x4ICR, the first passenger operation of a 8 car service and the 0700 Tralee - Heuston to be 5+4ICR from Mallow to Heuston. Only the first happened as the 9ICR wouldn't couple at Mallow. Also, 077 was stabled at Portarlington with the Autoballasters.

Pictures from today are at:
    - Carn
    - Monastervin
    - Cherryville Jct.
    - Killinure
    - Portarlington

The pictures start at http://smu.gs/PcGmA6

DSC_3342-M.jpg

The Wanderer.

• Advertisement

the 0700 Tralee - Heuston to be 5+4ICR from Mallow to Heuston. Only the first happened as the 9ICR wouldn't couple at Mallow.
    The Wanderer.
    1 set was coming from cork and the other tralee i take it? as they didn't couple both sets of passengers were merged onto one of the sets?

1 set was coming from cork and the other tralee i take it? as they didn't couple both sets of passengers were merged onto one of the sets?

Both operated to Heuston as seperate trains, as you can see in the pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

The_Wanderer

Has the Up signal before Cherryville being moved closer to the junction. I recall it being back closer to the bridge. It could just be the angle of the pic though.

Both operated to Heuston as seperate trains, as you can see in the pictures.
    sure, but was one of those trains from cork or did it stable in mallow or dit both come from tralee?

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    The_Wanderer

Has the Up signal before Cherryville being moved closer to the junction. I recall it being back closer to the bridge. It could just be the angle of the pic though.

It is a new LED signal, but in the same location as the old one. See http://thewandererphotos.smugmug.com/2013Photos/November-2013/i-QGpKRT7 and you can see the old signal.
    sure, but was one of those trains from cork or did it stable in mallow or dit both come from tralee?

The 5ICR came ex Tralee (as booked). The 4ICR came 0745 empty ex Cork, while 4 x 2600 worked the 0800 Cork - Mallow. The 4ICR stabled in Mallow Yard, the 0700 Tralee - Heuston arrived into platform 3 (level and straight for coupling), 4ICR ran from yard onto running lines towards Cork, changed ends and then came up to the rear of the 5ICR. Then it went pear shaped. :mad:

It is a new LED signal, but in the same location as the old one. See http://thewandererphotos.smugmug.com/2013Photos/November-2013/i-QGpKRT7 and you can see the old signal.

Did think something looked different. Any plans to replace the 2 up and 1 down on the Waterford side (I think its just 3), they must be the only older ones left in the area now.

Always wondered why when they did re signalling on Waterford line they didn't do the 3 around the junction area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Another rare incursion and question for all photographers out there - why? I gave up photographing CIE trains as far back as when the toothpaste strip was added to the livery. Can't remember when but it was decades ago and the reason was the livery was so awful as to make the end result horrible. Now, while the liveries are, at last, quite attractive there aren't any trains left - just 22000s here and 22000s there, the occasional pw train, the very occasional Ballina liner and that's it. Not looking for a confrontation, just wondering and is it the lack of trains that has seen contributions to IRN virtually dry up with a few refugees from there turning up on Boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Think some people just enjoy photography as a hobby, the technical details of it, exposure, ISO etc. The rail network is a good subject for it I guess if you have an interest in trains too.

Another rare incursion and question for all photographers out there - why? I gave up photographing CIE trains as far back as when the toothpaste strip was added to the livery. Can't remember when but it was decades ago and the reason was the livery was so awful as to make the end result horrible. Now, while the liveries are, at last, quite attractive there aren't any trains left - just 22000s here and 22000s there, the occasional pw train, the very occasional Ballina liner and that's it. Not looking for a confrontation, just wondering and is it the lack of trains that has seen contributions to IRN virtually dry up with a few refugees from there turning up on Boards.
    while the trains aren't interesting, i suppose its that unexpected happening their after

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭angelIRL

Morning all,

Some photos taken yesterday: http://www.flickr.com/photos/finnyus/

Includes:
    - 8ICR operating 0800 HN-CK
    - Kilmallock Station
    - Ballyhea manual level crossing

13010999915_50b471ba04_m.jpg
    Ballyhea by finnyus, on Flickr

Fin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭davidlacey

Did anyone get any pics of the NIR 4000 class in operation on the rugby specials to connolly yesterday? Not an everyday occurance...

davidlacey wrote: »
    Did anyone get any pics of the NIR 4000 class in operation on the rugby specials to connolly yesterday? Not an everyday occurance...

Do the 4000s even have CAWS?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

Some photos from the past three months or so - here

e7326d51ac0190fe1bbbfe144eda9e69a8a7e562.jpg

Karsini wrote: »
    Do the 4000s even have CAWS?

Nope just the first 6 sets of the 3000 class.

4000 Class aren't permitted over the IE network. It would have been 3000 Class, usually sets 3001-3006.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭jhnn

Just one shot of the Translink 3000 class passing Howth Junction Davidlacey.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhn8882/13015930914/

Regards John.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭davidlacey

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Nope just the first 6 sets of the 3000 class.

cheers! there were 2 x 6car sets in connolly yesterday around 6pm, is there much difference between 3000/4000 other than CAWS

cheers! there were 2 x 6car sets in connolly yesterday around 6pm, is there much difference between 3000/4000 other than CAWS

Have not travelled on the 4000 class however both types look very identical and unless you have clear view on the set number you probably couldn't identify. One small difference is the yellow ends. On the 4000 class they are just below the cab window however on the 3000 it's all around and above the window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭GBOA

Externally, the C3k and C4k are very similar. The obvious differences are the warning panel and light clusters.

The C4k has a higher seating capacity, more space for prams and bikes, and only 1 toilet (C3k has 2). They have LED interior lighting and are also more economical due to being lighter than the C3k (4 or 5 tonnes if I recall) and having fuel efficient assisted driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭jhnn

Monday 10 03 2014.

072 with the morning laden tara mines at Clontarf Rd
    074 passing Howth Jnct Donaghmede with the afternoon tara mines see at,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhn8882/13062687265/

Regards John..

Advertisement