Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photo Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭angelIRL

Some photos taken of the highly successful IRRS railtour this weekend http

https://flic.kr/s/aHskxicBgJ

26327749246_257bf9ebb8_z.jpg
    Lissard

F.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Evening all,

Pictures from day 1 of the IRRS 071 Class 40th Anniversary Tour from Dublin to Killarney via Nenagh, Limerick and Cork.
    Click http://smu.gs/1qEGg6D to view.

Pictures from day 2 will follow on Tuesday night. One of the downsides of a two day tour. Your knackered and have double the amount of images to process! But it was still a great weekend.

Full Credit must go to the IRRS Program Officer Shane Roberts for organising another successful tour and if the past several years are anything to go by, the 2017 tour will just be as interesting.
    Also we cannot forget the RPSI and IE staff involved in the operation of the tour and to making it such a great weekend.

_MG_5663-M.jpg

_MG_6019-S.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Bizarre that they are leaving out the red and purple strips on 231 so it can be used on Cork given 209 has spend months running to Cork I can;t really see the logic behind it and I bet the rest will be on Cork just as often as 231.

Are they just saving on the paint! :)

Does BB not have the loop platform to run round or have some new rules been adopted?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Bizarre that they are leaving out the red and purple strips on 231 so it can be used on Cork given 209 has spend months running to Cork I can;t really see the logic behind it and I bet the rest will be on Cork just as often as 231.

Are they just saving on the paint! :)

Does BB not have the loop platform to run round or have some new rules been adopted?

I was wondering what was going on 231, I thought it was the wrong way round when I saw it beside 227 and then I realised that the black band went the whole length of the loco.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

231 is not part of the Enterprise refurbishment programme or part of the dedicated fleet which is why it got the non standard livery, but I'm surprised it didn't just get the green livery (with white logos) like what was originally to happen with 228 before it swaped places with 230.

233 should also become part of the common fleet in due course.

• Advertisement

GM228 wrote: »
    231 is not part of the Enterprise refurbishment programme or part of the dedicated fleet which is why it got the non standard livery, but I'm surprised it didn't just get the green livery (with white logos) like what was originally to happen with 228 before it swaped places with 230.

Then why not paint 231 in the 071 grey instead of a modified or half finished Enterprise livery, or just leave in the IC livery is was in but with the new logo like 215.

227 stayed in the group so I don't know why 228 would have been left out or considering to leaving her out. Interesting to see what will happen 233. It just seems odd the "common user livery" is practically the new Enterprise more than anything else.

Then why not paint 231 in the 071 grey instead of a modified or half finished Enterprise livery, or just leave in the IC livery is was in but with the new logo like 215.

227 stayed in the group so I don't know why 228 would have been left out or considering to leaving her out. Interesting to see what will happen 233. It just seems odd the "common user livery" is practically the new Enterprise more than anything else.

227 and 228 became part of the dedicated fleet under the refurbishment programme which allowed for 6 locos only (the dedicated fleet has had 6 loco for many years now).

228 replaced 230 and either 227 or 231 were to be the last dedicated locos depending on which would be overhauled first, (233 wasn't considered at the time due to not requiring an overhaul).

227 won that toss due to been closer to the standard 4 year overhaul timeframe and became the last dedicated loco leaving 231 and 233 in the common fleet.

Initially when 228 was due for it's standard overhaul it was to receive the green livery (and possibly a white version of the logo on 215), and was to be part of the common fleet but it was then decided to overhaul as part of the Enterprise programme replacing 230 which is why it got the full livery.

Evening all,

Part two of the IRRS tour photos have now been uploaded to http://smu.gs/1qOqkze

On the Sunday the tour operated from Killarney - Tralee - Killarney - Mallow - Limerick Jct. - Waterford - Kilkenny - Kildare - Connolly.

Once again timekeeping was A1 and the weather gave us four seasons in one day!

Click this link http://smu.gs/1T27oFS if you want to view from gallery from the start.

Full Credit must go to the IRRS Program Officer Shane Roberts for organising another successful tour and if the past several years are anything to go by, the 2017 tour will just be as interesting.
    Also we cannot forget the RPSI and IE staff involved in the operation of the tour and to making it such a great weekend.

_MG_6193-M.jpg

_MG_6272-M.jpg

_MG_6328-M.jpg

_MG_6365-M.jpg

Morning all,

The final part of the weekend photos have now been uploaded to the April gallery featuring:

Saturday
    - 0545 Athlone - North Wall IWT Liner.
    - 0730 Inchicore - Connolly De-Dietrich "Enterprise" Transfer.
    - Connolly
    - Inchicore includes views of repainted 231 and the Tara Mines bound Shale wagon.
    - Cork Station with two stabled MKIV Sets due to the special timetable in operation on Saturday.
    - Mallow

Sunday:
    - Waterford showing the yard alterations.
    - The highlight of Sunday was the working of 5ICR 22037 to Rosslare Europort on Sunday afternoon, the first visit of this subfleet south of the Dublin area. The set had been in Connolly for the "Enterprise" services and this work finished on the Saturday night with the introduction of the 3rd refurbished De-Dietrich set from Connolly on the Sunday morning. As the train was required for a private charter by Railtours Ireland on Tuesday from Sandymount to Belfast GVS the set was to remain at Drogheda Depot until this happened. The opportunity was taken to allocate it to the 1345 Connolly - Rosslare Europort / 1740 Rosslare Europort - Connolly / 2115 Connolly - Drogheda Ety. on the Sunday to work it back to Drogheda the long way around.

- Tuesday:
    After the 2020 Cork - Heuston failed at Limerick Jct. on Monday night, 2809 + 2810 went forward to Heuston as the replacement train and was stabled there overnight. They were pictured shortly before departure for Ballina empty to take up the Branch services.

All the images can be viewed at http://smu.gs/1SeNx9z

_MG_6058-S.jpg

IMG_4836-S.jpg

WP_20160412_001-S.jpg

Should leave it in IC colors, painting it grey is worse then the current colors!

Why they make such decisions is beyond me, over complicating something which didn't need to be changed.

Looks like they have given up finishing the new logo's on ICR's, plenty of IC rune left and a few with the new logo but not painted yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

The highlight of Sunday was the working of 5ICR 22037 to Rosslare Europort on Sunday afternoon, the first visit of this subfleet south of the Dublin area.

i bet that was the first and probably last time that will happen? what was the reason for it, a trial just to get clearence out of the way?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

i bet that was the first and probably last time that will happen? what was the reason for it, a trial just to get clearence out of the way?
    The same set ran from Dun Laoghaire empty to Sandymount, and then to Belfast yesterday so it may have been related to that?

It was just easier to send that set to that diagram to have it in position for the charter trip. No need for clearance as there is nothing physically special about the set.

It was just easier to send that set to that diagram to have it in position for the charter trip. No need for clearance as there is nothing physically special about the set.

5ICR sets are cleared to Rosslare but with all of them being allocated to the Heuston side normally (with the exception of the 18 month Belfast operation) the opportunity was taken to send one there during the one day window that was available.

6ICR PC sets have been to Sligo before, but a PC set (in either 4, 5 or 6 car formation) had never visited Rosslare prior to Sunday. A 5ICR did escape to Sligo as well one Sunday evening in 2015 by error.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,734 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Victor wrote: »
    Isn't stock needed for the Kildare-GCD services?
    Thought that would go to the freed up ICR sets with the 5ICR no longer needed to cover the Enterprise and the fact more Mk4 sets are coming back online.
    No more Mk4 sets, they will not run them on 05.50 or 06.15 from Cork as it will require an increase in service and possible increased times. Problem is peak hours, returning more Mark IV will not fill peak hour services so pointless.

In theory they should be able to find sets with new schedules in place and with that 5 coach and The_Wanderer photo's said another only returned to service after been out since last year. Sure all they will need is two 4 coach sets at peal hours and anyway the net gain in services will not be two per hour but take into account adjustments to existing services such as the morning departures ex Newbridge. One or two questionable services operating at peak hours which have more empty seats than passengers and shouldn't have.

The full fleet of Mark 4 sets will return - they have to in order to release the sets for the new PPT services.

They don't necessarily have to work Cork services in the early mornings - you seem fixated by that. They could work the early Carlow or a Portlaoise service before moving onto the Dublin-Cork services.

They need four trains to operate the additional PPT services. Bringing the final two Mark 4 sets into service along with the return of the ICR off Belfast and the already returned AWS test set gives you your four sets.

lxflyer wrote: »
    The full fleet of Mark 4 sets will return - they have to in order to release the sets for the new PPT services.

They don't necessarily have to work Cork services in the early mornings - you seem fixated by that. They could work the early Carlow or a Portlaoise service before moving onto the Dublin-Cork services.

They need four trains to operate the additional PPT services. Bringing the final two Mark 4 sets into service along with the return of the ICR off Belfast and the already returned AWS test set gives you your four sets.

Correct, 14 MkIV carriages are to return to service to free up 22000s for the PPT services, there are no plans for the 2700s to return

Victor wrote: »
    Isn't stock needed for the Kildare-GCD services?
    Thought that would go to the freed up ICR sets with the 5ICR no longer needed to cover the Enterprise and the fact more Mk4 sets are coming back online.
    No more Mk4 sets, they will not run them on 05.50 or 06.15 from Cork as it will require an increase in service and possible increased times. Problem is peak hours, returning more Mark IV will not fill peak hour services so pointless.

In theory they should be able to find sets with new schedules in place and with that 5 coach and The_Wanderer photo's said another only returned to service after been out since last year. Sure all they will need is two 4 coach sets at peal hours and anyway the net gain in services will not be two per hour but take into account adjustments to existing services such as the morning departures ex Newbridge. One or two questionable services operating at peak hours which have more empty seats than passengers and shouldn't have.

Maybe so but they will not be beeded on Cork off peak, have you see Heuston after 9-10am like a train car park than ab active station.

We shall see anyway!

Maybe so but they will not be beeded on Cork off peak, have you see Heuston after 9-10am like a train car park than ab active station.

We shall see anyway!

That may well be the case but sometimes train allocations / schedules are resource driven - they are operated by what's available.

That may well be the case but sometimes train allocations / schedules are resource driven - they are operated by what's available.

All I am saying is there is a lot of issues with the outdated timetable ex Heuston and sitting down looking at it which I'm sure will happen could deliver lots of units. Also as they spent 4 months without two 5 coach units and clearly they were not pressed for sets of they would of got one returned to service asap, I am right to question the need for returning Mark IV's. I'm not against it however IE should be basing decisions on the need and costs of such need.

Just because the economic is doing ok does not mean IE should be allowed return to old ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Just because the economic is doing ok does not mean IE should be allowed return to old ways.

sure, but the thing is rolling stock isn't a toy that can be thrown away when the company gets board of it. it's bought, it needs to be used. if cork isn't an option for a couple of mark iv's, then somewhere else might be for the busiest service. even clearing them to belfast and have a set as a stand in in case of a failure should be considered. better then robbing ICRS and 2900s off other services that also need the capacity. more chance of me being taoiseach though.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭highdef

5ICR sets are cleared to Rosslare

Does that mean that 6ICR sets are not cleared? If this is the case, why? I remember when it was loco hauled, it was usually 7 MKII coaches being hauled. Even though 22000 coaches are longer than MKII's, 7 of them plus a loco would still be substantially longer than a 6ICR.

highdef wrote: »
    Does that mean that 6ICR sets are not cleared? If this is the case, why? I remember when it was loco hauled, it was usually 7 MKII coaches being hauled. Even though 22000 coaches are longer than MKII's, 7 of them plus a loco would still be substantially longer than a 6ICR.

Firstly there are no 6 car sets - they were reconfigured.

But 2 x 3 would not fit into the platform at Rathdrum.

Grandfather rights would have applied for the loco hauled sets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

the loco and the gen van would not need to be at the platform presumably, which leaves 6 shorter than 22000 mk2s I assume

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭highdef

Firstly there are no 6 car sets - they were reconfigured.

But 2 x 3 would not fit into the platform at Rathdrum.

Grandfather rights would have applied for the loco hauled sets.

You couldn't have explained that better!

Savagethegoat....good point there too.

I'll get my coat :P

Morning all,

some photos taken in London during a recent visit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/finnyus/

26530679405_5215f7fd1c_z.jpg
    43064 leads 1B18 0730hrs EMT service from Nottingham to St Pancras International through West Hampstead approaching Hampstead tunnel.

25925719784_dbc3e1deae_z.jpg
    2F21 1020hrs SWT service from London Waterloo to Woking departs Clapham Junction.

25925718564_12d6914541_z.jpg
    442211 passes through East Croydon with 1A24 0930hrs Gatwick Express service from London Victoria to Brighton, calling at Gatwick Airport only.

26445280691_a87b2cc41b_z.jpg
    7007 stands at Stamford Brook with District Line train no. 10, 12:14 Richmond-Upminster.

26511372185_d700a99811_z.jpg
    165028 passes the Central Line station at North Acton with the parliamentary service 2M29 1136 Chiltern Railways service from London Paddington to West Ruislip.

Finbarr.

Evening all,

A round up of photos from the past week have now been uploaded to the website and include:

- The former station site at Banagher which is now the town park and a base for boat hire companies on the River Shannon (Carrickcraft and Silverline).
    - Athlone with views of the IWT Liner crossing the Shannon Bridge.
    - Limerick.
    - Portarlington.
    - Inchicore viewed from a passing train with 228 and 231 on view.
    - Heuston.

Click http://smu.gs/20YbMJz to view.

i-56WKKpH-M.jpg
    DSC_0359-M.jpg
    DSC_0531-M.jpg

Further to my post from yesterday, I've uploaded some more photos from a recent trip to London: https://www.flickr.com/photos/finnyus/

26453064632_07648c544e_z.jpg
    West Kensington

25942475353_2c02de993c_z.jpg
    Putney Bridge

25940421664_a66d1802e4_z.jpg
    Westbourne Park

Finbarr.

Morning all,

some photos taken in Cork during the weekend:

26598708625_31642f8520_z.jpg
    Carrigaloe