Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photo Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Wanderer you post on irn to .it must be alot of work posting up the same photos on boards also .people be seeing double every time 😊😊😊

He also posts on IRM too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,691 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Wanderer you post on irn to .it must be alot of work posting up the same photos on boards also .people be seeing double every time 😊😊😊
    He also posts on IRM too.

So he posts updates about his website on multiple message boards? So what? There will be people who only use one of them and don't access them all.

We should all be grateful for the hard work "The Wanderer" does in recording and indeed keeping us informed about what is happening on the railways in Ireland today, and his occasional trips across the Irish Sea too.

Seeing as alot of guys who used to take regular photos stopped once the majority of loco haulage ceased, he's one of the few who kept on going.

There used to be a load of guys on IRN posting regular pics who have sadly stopped over the years. Suppose there is just not that much that is of interest anymore.

Seeing as alot of guys who used to take regular photos stopped once the majority of loco haulage ceased, he's one of the few who kept on going.

There used to be a load of guys on IRN posting regular pics who have sadly stopped over the years. Suppose there is just not that much that is of interest anymore.

That's subjective - it would be an awful shame if we had no record of what actually took place - it's still a good historical record, and I think we should be grateful for the sometimes extraordinary lengths he goes to (clearly often getting up at ludicrously early times) to get photos.

Of course it may not be to everyone's tastes, but hey, we are all different!

Especially the few who have some insider knowledge of those who know the weekly circular in advance for those special rare movements. Not easy info to get hold of even by word of mouth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭timber train

Thanks to lxflyer and chaos for ur info now nearly everybody knows what sites wanderer posts on . Stick with boards wanderer the other 2 sites are rarely used these days .saving you alot of hassle in the meantime .you have enough for doing .

Well the one I mentioned is relatively new and used mainly by modelers. His and others photos are invaluable there in their use to weather models and add small details to them like 082's single red buffer and 071's single orange wiper.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭h.gricer

Del.Monte wrote: »
    a79263b1ad0980e722497b68fb9094ac1e519fb0.pjpg

"Cork 800" tour to Youghal 10 bogies + a single 121!

More here: http://irnirishrailwaynews.yuku.com/topic/405/Midleton-Line?page=9#.Vz9bU0eE7Yg
    Now that was when they knew how to run railtours, my greatest memory of that tour was there was no such thing as ''you can't go here and you can't stand there and nobody got killed, there was no silly rules only common sense'' we all swamed around the turntable when 126 was getting turned, as for the 2 green coaches, I don't think there was trials, they just hooked up and away they went.
    Regards
    h.gricer

There used to be a load of guys on IRN posting regular pics who have sadly stopped over the years. .
    It's not as bleak as you think, there are many still taking pictures, but the situation is changing all the time, a lot have moved over to facebook and other social media outlets, whatever floats your boat, some have Flickr sites, there are many, then there's Smugmug.com and then there are others doing their own thing, staying below the radar, everybody to their own.
    Regards
    h.gricer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

h.gricer wrote: »
    It's not as bleak as you think, there are many still taking pictures, but the situation is changing all the time, a lot have moved over to facebook and other social media outlets, whatever floats your boat, some have Flickr sites, there are many, then there's Smugmug.com and then there are others doing their own thing, staying below the radar, everybody to their own.
    Regards
    h.gricer

I stopped when the ghastly toothpaste stripe was added to everything.

• Advertisement

I stopped when the ghastly toothpaste stripe was added to everything.
    You may have stopped taking photos, but you never lost your sense of humour :D

Rgds
    hg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Morning folks,

A big update to the LUAS Cross City Gallery on Saturday with a walk of the route from Broombridge to St. Stephen's Green. Click http://smu.gs/1OUqdqR to view.

Also the May gallery has also been updated with the latest progress on the Phoenix Park Tunnel route, a few pictures around Broombridge plus some rock and roll stars who are gracing Dublin this weekend. Click http://smu.gs/1P7uDA4 to view.

DSC_3129-M.jpg
    DSC_3149-M.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Great pics and I will do the Cross-City line once to tick it off, but judging from some of the areas it passes through is it gong to be another playground for scumbags?

Great pics and I will do the Cross-City line once to tick it off, but judging from some of the areas it passes through is it gong to be another playground for scumbags?

Basically yes, the Green line won't be the same again.

I can see them having lots of "fun" at the new Broombridge depot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Given it is staffed and going to be full of CCTV I can't see it lasting long. IE and TD should come to an agreement to provide two security at Brrombridge from early afternoon until following morning.

I think that's a bit melodramatic.

The Green line already passes by some council estates and, while it can experience some problems, it tends to be very localised around that area rather than all along the route.

The Red Line tends to carry people who used the buses to make the same trips previously.

I don't think there's any particular evidence that trouble makers were using it in any significant numbers especially to carry out anti-social behaviour on it or elsewhere.

I take it you are not a regular Luas customer so, the Green line is bliss compared to the dregs and inhabit the Red line. I have never been on a locked down tram on the Green line ever while an open brawl has broken out. It's happened 3 times on Red line trams I've been on over the years and 2 were at 7am in the morning. Open drug dealing is regular on the Red line at all hours of the day too.

Off peak DART services are used for lot of drug dealing too during the day.

It's just got worse in general but I don't see these issues yet on the Green line.

I take it you are not a regular Luas customer so, the Green line is bliss compared to the dregs and inhabit the Red line. I have never been on a locked down tram on the Green line ever while an open brawl has broken out. It's happened 3 times on Red line trams I've been on over the years and 2 were at 7am in the morning. Open drug dealing is regular on the Red line at all hours of the day too.

Off peak DART services are used for lot of drug dealing too during the day.

It's just got worse in general but I don't see these issues yet on the Green line.

You're missing my point.

Those people engaging in those activities would have used the likes of the 13, 27, 77a buses - those routes had frequent problems with anti-social behaviour that migrated to the Red Line.

In other words they're making the same journeys as they always were but on a different mode.

I don't see the people from Cabra suddenly having a desire to visit South Dublin in large numbers.

And I am totally familiar with both LUAS lines. There is no need to be so patronising to presume anything about me.

As part of the Balbriggan Summerfest, the RPSI operated two steam train trips from Balbriggan to Drogheda on Sunday 29th May. Pictures of the event are at http://smu.gs/1TGQQ4M

DSC_3287-M.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭angelIRL

Evening all,

some photos taken in the UK over the last few days: https://flic.kr/s/aHskBhExJt

27334696725_823cb3d947_z.jpg
    Apsley

27334697075_649da36b22_z.jpg
    Lewes

27301347386_281982eef9_z.jpg
    Upminster

F.

• Advertisement

Evening folks,

As part of the strategy to increase the length of freight trains, Iarnrod Eireann operated a 18 wagon Timber Train from Waterford to Limerick on Wednesday 1st June hauled by 215. Currently the maximum length of Timber trains is 12 wagons, the next stage of the project is to operate a 27 wagon container train over the same route.

Click http://smu.gs/1Pkgpft to view.

DSC_3490-M.jpg

Morning all,

some photos taken over the last while: https://www.flickr.com/photos/finnyus/

Includes:
    - Timber trail train between Limerick/Waterford
    - Update to a recent trip to North America

27385810366_007f0cb7ae_z.jpg
    Bansha

27369154576_fef37a7f1a_z.jpg
    Whirlpool Bridge, Niagara Falls

27304658782_68a9b34257_z.jpg
    Toronto Union

27369154906_342c3bccac_z.jpg
    Toronto

Finbarr

Friday 3rd June 2016:
    The 1220 Cork - Heuston failed in Cork prior to departure this afternoon. The fault was first suspected to be locomotive related (232), but after a change of locomotive with the standby at Cork (231) the fault didn't clear and GC 4007 was were the defect was located.
    The MKIV set required hauling to Inchicore for repairs and departed Cork at 1530 being hauled by 231 and I managed to photograph it at Kilbride Bridge near Portarlington.

Other photos from today include the delayed 1700 Heuston - Cork passing Ballybrophy and the 1655 Limerick - Ballybrophy via Nenagh at Borris-in-Ossory.

Click http://smu.gs/24naesD to see all the images from the day.

DSC_3529-M.jpg
    DSC_3531-M.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭timber train

088 in athlone on a liner .
    6.30pm 10-may-2016 .

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Anyone catch any of the work going on at GCD over the weekend?

Afternoon,

some photos taken over the last few days: https://www.flickr.com/photos/finnyus/

Includes:
    - 220 on a Dublin/Cork turn at Rathduff
    - further updates to a recent trip to the UK

27504110575_4e2c0aa9e4_z.jpg
    Rathduff

27410003481_4e2b2d06b8_z.jpg
    Harrow and Wealdstone

26896294103_7d1c2a454f_z.jpg
    South Hampstead

F.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Seanmk1

A DEMU in platform 4 of Connolly yesterday morning :p

DSC_0135.JPG
    388251.JPG

Afternoon folks,

There has been several updates to the website over the past couple of days.

These include:

- June Gallery with pictures from a very sunny Muckross House, Steam Enterprise from Whitehead to Dublin, Lispole Viaduct on the former Tralee and Dingle railway, 22035 at Farranfore on the South Kerry Line with the 1305 Tralee - Heuston and finally some images from the Laois and Kildare areas which includes an unusual MKIV formation currently operating.
    Click http://smu.gs/1PLgglu to view.

- Update to the North Kerry Line. A visit to Barnagh Tunnel on Bank Holiday Monday, now part of the Great Southern Trail.
    Click http://smu.gs/219Zmha to view.

The other galleries consist of photos from:
    - Killarney Bike Fest.
    - Dingle and Fungie the Dolphin.
    - Crag Cave in Castleisland.
    Click http://smu.gs/1ZzfsjH to view each of the above.

All of the galleries can also easily be accessed by going to the home page at http://thewandererphotos.smugmug.com

DSC_3733-S.jpg

DSC_3770-S.jpg

Evening all,

077 and 087 are in Portarlington this evening for the top and tailed HOBS train this weekend for the Ballast Cleaning between Sallins and Hazelhatch on Saturday.

Click http://smu.gs/1XLRMvq to view.

DSC_3826-M.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

Advertisement