Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photo Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

First batch of photos from a UK trip have now been uploaded.

Click http://smu.gs/2akqB3V to view.

DSC_7688-M.jpg

The latest pictures from my UK trip have now been uploaded to http://smu.gs/2ao53DO

Friday:
    First day of a UK trip which features images from around the Birmingham area.

Saturday:
    A day trip from Birmingham to Cheltenham Spa to see this delightful town. Returned to Birmingham via Swindon and Bristol Parkway and lucky enough to briefly see retrotrain 43002 in its BR Blue and Grey livery at Bristol Parkway.

Sunday:
    - The Shakespeare Express at Birmingham Moor Street.
    - London Euston after travelling down from Birmingham on a Virgin Trains service.

DSC_7701-M.jpg
    DSC_7753-M.jpg
    DSC_7843-M.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭angelIRL

Morning all,

some photos take in the UK over the last few days: https://www.flickr.com/photos/finnyus/

Includes:
    - Cornwall
    - Devon
    - Somerset
    - Monmouthshire

28085421083_90cc16917b.jpg
    Lostwithiel

28673583225_22fd4d7642.jpg
    Bishton Flyover, Llandevenny

28595556301_77e20e79d7.jpg
    Bristol Temple Meads

Finbarr

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Seanmk1

At the risk of upsetting Mr. Gricer ;-p, here are some nice shots from Bolivia.

https://www.wired.com/2014/08/the-beautiful-graveyard-where-bolivias-trains-went-to-die/#slide-6

Evening all,

Last Monday I took a trip to the Spa town of Bath for an afternoon of sightseeing. To get to Bath I took a slight detour catching the 1045 Paddington to Swansea as far as Bristol Parkway to enable me to sample the Pullman Restaurant Car on board the service.

At Bristol Parkway after a short wait I caught a Class 158 on a Great Malvern to Brighton service to Bath Spa.

Once the sighseeing was completed I got a London bound HST as far as Reading where I alighted to see the Retroliveried HST Power Car 43002 in its original HST livery from 1976.

I then took the slow route back to London via Staines before heading to Scotland on board the Caledonian Sleeper to Edinburgh.

Click http://smu.gs/2aAxTDY to view the images.

DSC_8121-M.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Evening all,

Last Monday I took a trip to the Spa town of Bath for an afternoon of sightseeing. To get to Bath I took a slight detour catching the 1045 Paddington to Swansea as far as Bristol Parkway to enable me to sample the Pullman Restaurant Car on board the service.

At Bristol Parkway after a short wait I caught a Class 158 on a Great Malvern to Brighton service to Bath Spa.

Once the sighseeing was completed I got a London bound HST as far as Reading where I alighted to see the Retroliveried HST Power Car 43002 in its original HST livery from 1976.

I then took the slow route back to London via Staines before heading to Scotland on board the Caledonian Sleeper to Edinburgh.

Click http://smu.gs/2aAxTDY to view the images.

DSC_8121-M.jpg

Do the UK trains not have EU numbers?, not that it matters much now! Mad how we have IE going crazy with inside/outside numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Do the UK trains not have EU numbers?, not that it matters much now! Mad how we have IE going crazy with inside/outside numbers.

Strange thing is that 8209, 215 and 224 have came out of recent overhauls and repaints without EVNs yet all the 071s and other overhauled 201s have them.

I have only seen them on UK class 59s and 66 low on the sole bar on each side like the 201s have. UK stock will still need EVNs because of the Chunnel services with the class 370s and 92s. Also you have the likes of DB Schenker and Freightliner leasing UK locos to other EU countries.

Strange thing is that 8209, 215 and 224 have came out of recent overhauls and repaints without EVNs yet all the 071s and other overhauled 201s have them.

I have only seen them on UK class 59s and 66 low on the sole bar on each side like the 201s have. UK stock will still need EVNs because of the Chunnel services with the class 370s and 92s. Also you have the likes of DB Schenker and Freightliner leasing UK locos to other EU countries.

AFAIK any stock internal to the UK don't need them applied.

Anyway the system over there is far better and easier to remember than any silly EVN scheme that the RSC forced upon IE / NIR (DD stock).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

AFAIK any stock internal to the UK don't need them applied.

Anyway the system over there is far better and easier to remember than any silly EVN scheme that the RSC forced upon IE / NIR (DD stock).

Absolutely.

This state, Ireland, is ruined by petty bureaucracy. It is locally imposed, not European driven.
    Even worse than EVnumbers, is the duplication of nameplates, information signs etc to pacify the Irish language lobby.

Excellent photos as usual, Wanderer.

It looks like you had a cold shower in Hot Bath Street, during your tour of Bath.

The iconic views of the railway through the gardens in Bath, are something we had in Dun Laoghaire, before CIE and DLR Co Co, raised the walls and covered over the cutting. The scene in Bath remains lovely, I must get there soon before the OHLE reduces the view.

• Advertisement

tabbey wrote: »
    Excellent photos as usual, Wanderer.

It looks like you had a cold shower in Hot Bath Street, during your tour of Bath.

The iconic views of the railway through the gardens in Bath, are something we had in Dun Laoghaire, before CIE and DLR Co Co, raised the walls and covered over the cutting. The scene in Bath remains lovely, I must get there soon before the OHLE reduces the view.

Thanks Tabby.

I had passed through Bath before but never toured the town. A wonderful place I must say.

Afternoon folks,

On Saturday Belmond Grand Hibernian liveried 216 was used on the 0935 North Wall - Ballina IWT Liner. This was the first run of the loco on the mainline since repainting into Belmond livery. It still requires branding to be applied.

Also pictured were the two Mayo Specials to Heuston for the Mayo - Tyrone Match in Croke Park, Dublin.

Click http://smu.gs/2aC9r5a to view.

Also the latest batch of photos from my recent UK trip have now been uploaded. These are from Tuesday 2nd August.
    After arriving in Edinburgh off the Sleeper from London I took an out and back spin to Tweedbank on the recently reopened Borders Railway.
    Once back in Edinburgh it was time for some sightseeing of the City before taking a trip out to North Queensferry to view the Forth Bridge. Taking 68002 out and back of course on the Scotrail loco hauled turn.

Click http://smu.gs/2aCa9zE to view.

DSC_8378-M.jpg

DSC_8243-M.jpg

Evening folks,

I've just updated several galleries of the website featuring photos from the past few days.

August Gallery:
    - DART EMU at Dun-Laoghaire on Sunday.
    - 075 passing Shanderry with the 1526 Waterford - Ballina Ety. Timber on Monday,

Click http://smu.gs/2aHtijw to view.

On Sunday 7th August 2016 the Railway Preservation Society of Ireland operated another of their popular Dublin Riveria Specials from Dublin to Greystones.

Click http://smu.gs/2aWBBGi to view.

Before the morning "Dublin Riveria" Steam Spl. from Connolly to Greystones, the RPSI had arranged with IE to line up their three Diesel Locomotives outside the Shed at Connolly for a photo shoot.

Click http://smu.gs/2aHvl7h to view.

All of the above galleries can also be accessed from the home page at www.thewandererphotos.com

DSC_8489-M.jpg
    DSC_8465-M.jpg
    P1330463-M.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Would have though Irish Rail would have taken their Mk4 coupler off 175 before delivering it to the RPSI. Great to see a full line up of GM locos at the shed again. The RPSI even had 141 ticking over on Sunday, started up for the first time in 6 years.

134 and 175 will need alot of work to be even started up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,847 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I think it's great that those three locos are in a secure place away from the elements as 134 and 175 look worse for wear having being outside. I mean a shed connected to the mainline can only be good going forward. Is it 124 thats in clare then ? Any chance of getting to connolly ? I know it's not owned by the RPSI but aren't the locos in clare exposed to a point ?

141 was out in the open too for the past 6 years but it got a clean up shortly before the move. You have to bare in mind that 141 was last painted in 2010, it would have been at least 10 years or more since 134 and 175 were last done.

Look at the state of 072 going around now, that was last painted around 9 years ago, it looks ready for the scrap heap externally.

The Belmond Grand Hibernian train took to the rails during the early hours of Wednesday 10th August when it worked a 0025 Heuston - Mallow & 0330 Mallow - Inchicore Trial Train with 216 providing the power. The outward trial passed Portarlington at 0246, 86 minutes late. The train was delayed due to a late departure from Inchicore to Heuston.

Click http://smu.gs/2b1BwBf to watch the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

UK trains are not required to display the EVN numbers, but like all EU countries they are required to be assigned an EVN number which is then kept on a national vehicle register (NVR) by each countries responsible body which in the case of the UK is the RSSB.

Obviously that may well change after Brexit and the NVR may be dropped for all rail vehicles which don't leave the UK. Anything operating internationally from the UK (Eurostar for example) must display an EVN but that isn't always the case.

The EVN scheme here's wasn't forced upon us by the CRR (ex RSC), they are legally required to be displayed on all rail vehicles here since August 2011 as a result of Government regulation and the way Ireland transposed the relevant EU Directive. The CRR is simply responsible for the upkeep of the NVR here.

Whats interesting about the relevant legislation is that if a vehicle is in service without a good reason for not displaying the EVN then an offence is committed.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭timber train

As wanderer said in a previous post 075 with the 15.26 waterford to ballina empty timber on monday.he isnt always right cause 075 plus full timber came through castlebar this morning with the westport to waterford full timber
    . Wanderer got it wrong do you work for met.ie wanderer to ☺☺☺☺☺

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

As wanderer said in a previous post 075 with the 15.26 waterford to ballina empty timber on monday.he isnt always right cause 075 plus full timber came through castlebar this morning with the westport to waterford full timber

Maybe it was empty going to Ballina and was full coming back, the chicken,the Fox and the bag of corn springs to mind...

Now that's some commitment getting that video at that hour

Yawn.

Pointless post if ever I saw one. So it went to Westport? Big deal. A simple mistake.
    A simple correction would have more than sufficed instead of making a song and dance over it which you always seem to take pleasure in doing. Don't waste your time.

Now back to the topic at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭timber train

Now that's some commitment getting that video at that hour

We have often heard of the expression The City That Never Sleeps . ☺A new one is The Wanderer That Never Sleeps. ☺

Afternoon folks,

The latest update features photos of the Belmond Grand Hibernian on trial from Inchicore to Mallow and back to Heuston this morning with 216 and 7 MKIII carriages.

Click http://smu.gs/2b7OPQF to view all the photos.

DSC_8521-M.jpg

There seems to be no smoke from the EGV, unlike those on the Enterprise.

Did they instal a new generator engine? during refurbishment?

The Gens were removed from 7601 (and most other, if not all vans during storage). There are two completely new Gen Sets installed. Not sure from which manufacture.

I can't remember the old MarkIII even having the same level of smoke as the DD ones have today. One thing is the DD's may have better air conditioning than the Mark III and it could perhaps be a reason.

I can't remember the old MarkIII even having the same level of smoke as the DD ones have today. One thing is the DD's may have better air conditioning than the Mark III and it could perhaps be a reason.

Oh I don't think there is much difference between the MK3 days and the current DD days.

• Advertisement

Oh I don't think there is much difference between the MK3 days and the current DD days.

You would probally know better, spend most of my years mainly on Mark II or PP. Guess viewing from P6/7/8 at Connolly is very different than been on the same platform with them.

Advertisement