Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photo Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Mallow Station tonight looking from North to South taken on a Drone.

Lovely lovely lovely!

Evening folks,

Thursday 29th December 2016:
    As dusk was falling I visited Portarlington station to photograph 231 hauling failed MKIV set 4006 and loco 218 from Ballybrophy to Heuston. The loco had failed while working the 1220 Cork - Heuston and was terminated at Ballybrophy with passengers transferred to the following 1320 Cork - Heuston. Plus photos of a few other odds and sods.

Click http://smu.gs/2iJqAiT to view all the images.

DSC_6041-M.jpg

Evening all,

Friday 30th December was another poor day for the loco fleet with 234 working the 0900 Heuston - Cork failing between Mallow and Cork in the Burnfort area. Cork Thunderbird 229 was sent to assist it and hauled it into Cork where it arrived 90 minutes late. Photos from the day include Clonkeen, Lisduff & Templemore showing 201 Class and MKIV sets.

Click http://smu.gs/2hCDDSQ to view.

DSC_6068-M.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Two serious failures in two days does not inspire confidence in CIE's premier route. What gives?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Two serious failures in two days does not inspire confidence in CIE's premier route. What gives?

Not really, there is usually a couple of failures together and nothing for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

bad luck is just one of those things and can't be helped. in saying that, del has a point. for the first time user or the non regular traveler or those who wouldn't know anything about trains, such failures in quick succession wouldn't inspire confidents in the reliability of the service.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

A locomotive failure could be something as simple as a blown headlamp. Hard to know really.

Like every fleet it has its ups and downs. The 201's seem to be in the downs this week. Probably be the 22000's next week (on a up at the moment).

• Registered Users Posts: 39,847 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Karsini wrote: »
    A locomotive failure could be something as simple as a blown headlamp. Hard to know really.
    A blown headlamp ? I've heard the 201s weren't liked by drivers when they first started as the computer in them shut down the loco for any issue it detected. This was from an ex driver who said the 071s and others would keep going unless it was critical fault. My point is it's a bit ridiculously to fail a loco for a blown headlamp when it's in broad daylight.

Like every fleet it has its ups and downs. The 201's seem to be in the downs this week. Probably be the 22000's next week (on a up at the moment).
    But would people say the 201 class have been a good loco for IR ? I know they fail but it's not to my mind a class of locos that's consistently failed.

• Advertisement

TBH a blown headlamp was an extreme example but it could happen. Also with all traction units having two headlights both failing at the same time would be rare.

The rules for such an incident are:

If a head or marker light fails

provided the headlight is operative, the train may continue
    normally to the first place where it can be taken out of
    service without causing cancellation or delay

if the headlight is inoperative, the train must be taken out of
    service immediately or it may proceed as shown below to the
    first place where it is practicable to be taken out of
    service:
    - speed not to exceed 20 mph during darkness or
    poor visibility
    - frequent use of the horn to be made when approaching
    level crossings and places where persons are likely to be
    on or near the line
    - a white light (a handlamp, if necessary) to be provided if
    there is a complete failure of head and marker lights

From the same ex driver he said he was coming out of heuston and something failed on the loco and he and the guard got out and were checking the train and a passenger asked the driver what the delay was. Says he "it's alright mam we just have a flat tyre." I thought that was brilliant. Haha

Evening folks,

The final photos of 2016 are from Nenagh to see the final train of 2016 to pass through the station. 2817 + 2818 1905 Ballybrophy - Limerick.

May I take this opportunity to wish you all a Happy & Prosperous New Year!

Click http://smu.gs/2hAsCwv to see the full size image.

DSC_6093-M.jpg

With 2017 upon us its time to reveal the 2016 Year in Review.

This gallery contains over 400 photos and videos from the past 12 months from the railways of Ireland.
    Enjoy the gallery and let's hope 2017 will be just as interesting.
    From a personal viewpoint the painting of 071 into its original CIE Supertrain livery was certainly the highlight of the year for me.
    Let's see what 2017 will bring us....

Click http://smu.gs/2hX3lNX to view.

DSC_9506-M.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭angelIRL

Morning all & Happy New Year!

Some photos taken over the last few weeks: https://www.flickr.com/photos/finnyus/

Includes:
    - trip to UK (including Bristol, Exeter, Barnstaple, Dawlish, Plymouth & Paignton)
    - Deise Greenway
    - North Cork

32054442235_529f8a2b37.jpg
    Mallow Viaduct

31603713200_54c62b93e8.jpg
    Dawlish Warren

31608010140_2087c98821.jpg
    Dawlish

31944609256_ae8507b510.jpg
    Kilbarry

Finbarr

Tuesday 3rd January 2017:
    We start off the 2017 pictures with a visit to Ratheven outside Portlaoise to photograph 076 hauling failed 234 from Cork to Inchicore plus the usual MKIV and 22000 sets on passenger traffic.

Click http://smu.gs/2iLRIdG to view all the images.

DSC_6161-M.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

angelIRL wrote: »
    Morning all & Happy New Year!

Some photos taken over the last few weeks: https://www.flickr.com/photos/finnyus/

Includes:
    - trip to UK (including Bristol, Exeter, Barnstaple, Dawlish, Plymouth & Paignton)
    - Deise Greenway
    - North Cork

32054442235_529f8a2b37.jpg
    Mallow Viaduct

31603713200_54c62b93e8.jpg
    Dawlish Warren

31608010140_2087c98821.jpg
    Dawlish

31944609256_ae8507b510.jpg
    Kilbarry

Finbarr

I have always visited those placess in the west of England, in summertime. It feels strange to see them in winter sunshine.

Evening all,

I didn't think my first train trip of 2017 would be on a 22000 set on the Nenagh branch! But that is what happened today.
    Due to a large number of passengers travelling to Limerick this morning on the 1005 Ballybrophy - Limerick service, mostly from Cloughjordan, which was organised by the Nenagh Rail Partnership for their annual outing to "Limerick on Ice" (Ice skating). Iarnrod Eireann decided to allocate the Limerick - Limerick Jct ICR set to the evening Ballybrophy service. I travelled north from Nenagh to Ballybrophy on it.

Click http://smu.gs/2iBLyPQ

DSC_6192-M.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Considering it takes two sets to operate the Limerick Jct. "shuttle" (3ICR & 2x2800) it is most likely "Joe Public" wouldn't even have noticed and most would probably consider it to be a lottery of what type of train they get.

• Advertisement

I didn't say "mostly" :p It's half and half. Every two hours a ICR. Every two hours a 2800.

in fairness for the journey involved a 2800 would be perfectly fine. using an ICR on it is a waste of an ICR which can be deployed to a long distance service.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Can't believe I am saying this but I find the 2800 quit pleasant on the shuttle.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

in fairness for the journey involved a 2800 would be perfectly fine. using an ICR on it is a waste of an ICR which can be deployed to a long distance service.

Have been on an ICR 3 out of 4 trips on the Limerick Jct-Colbert shuttle, and I often felt it was a waste of an ICR myself. But as a passenger, I much prefer travelling on an ICR than than a 28 DMU.

Okon wrote: »
    Have been on an ICR 3 out of 4 trips on the Limerick Jct-Colbert shuttle, and I often felt it was a waste of an ICR myself. But as a passenger, I much prefer travelling on an ICR than than a 28 DMU.

oh absolutely, i don't blame you. the 28 and their ilk are horrid yokes. especially if they operate anything over the short duties they were bought for.

Evening folks,

Several photos from the weekend at Portarlington, Portlaoise, Ballybrophy, Birdhil, Killonan and Ennis.

Click http://smu.gs/2i5BB9m to view.

DSC_6251-M.jpg

Evening folks,

Monday 9th January 2017:
    The day starts off in Limerick before heading to Dublin to see retro CIE liveried 071 on the 0920 Tara Mines to North Wall laden working.

Click http://smu.gs/2i79zz9 to view all the images.

DSC_6578-M.jpg

• Advertisement

Evening all,

A trip to Dublin this morning. Very handy when needing to go to Connolly area of the city to use the Phoenix Park Tunnel services.

Pictures are from:
    Sallins
    Connolly
    Malahide - highlight being 085 on the afternoon Tara.
    Portarlington.

Click http://smu.gs/2jF9xi8 to view all the photos.

DSC_6660-M.jpg

DSC_6610-M.jpg

Advertisement