Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photo Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Hardly since they aren't in an area where there are tracks - perhaps they are for a replacement bus station when the railway is closed down.

Thats what it is. There will be bus bays on the Lee side of the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Evening all,

With the backlog of the Amsterdam photos out of the way, I've now been able to get through the backlog of Irish photos.

The final update to February 2017 sees a visit to Nenagh Station for the evening branch train. Click http://smu.gs/2lxgW4r to view.

The March 2017 gallery sees photos from:
    - Birdhill
    - Limerick
    - Limerick Jct.
    - Hewtown
    - Holycross
    - Thurles.
    - Ballybrophy Bank
    - Carn Bridge.

Click http://smu.gs/2muwO73 to view.

DSC_8525-M.jpg

DSC_8594-M.jpg

Evening all,

Tuesday 7th March 2017:
    I had to take spin to Dublin today for some business.
    Pictures from:
    - Portlaoise
    - Heuston
    - Pearse
    - Ballybrophy
    - Nenagh

Click http://smu.gs/2lBMyWF to view.

DSC_8673-M.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

highdef wrote: »
    I don't really know but my educated guess would be they are for passengers to stay dry if it's raining, while waiting for a train.:p

Taxi rank i imagine?

The latest pictures in the March gallery feature images at Nenagh of the morning train being split to form the 0745 Nenagh - Limerick, along with Ballybrophy and Portlaoise pictures.

Click http://smu.gs/2m4Gd1l

DSC_8698-M.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Okay, be gentle with me, but what are the fancy canopies at Cork Station for? :confused:
    Well, shaped like that, they won't be much use against the rain, and extreme sun isn't really a Cork thing. A little like Connolly and Belgard Luas stops, they might be interesting in high wind or the rare snow.

There will be bus, taxi and set-down areas.

Evening folks,

A couple of updates from the past few days.

The weekend features images from:

- Nenagh
    - Brittas (Thurles).
    - Loughmore.
    - Templemore.

Highlights include Belmond 216 passing through Templemore on the 1500 Heuston to Cork.

Click http://smu.gs/2mXVaqo to view.

Also "MKT Transport Photography" visited Dublin earlier in the week and has kindly allowed me to use some of his photos of Dublin Connolly from his trip.
    Click http://smu.gs/2ndDoQD to view these.

DSC_0258-M.jpg

DSC_8845-M.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Woodenbridge Junction - July 1981 - I have a thing about turntables and had to have a go with this one. If memory serves me it had been disconnected for years by 1981 but it still turned - possibly for the last time. :D

Woodenbridge%2BJuly%2B1981.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

And another from the archives. The iron bridge at Cappoquin as featured on an ancient postcard still being sold in a Cappoquin grocery as a current tourist postcard in the late 1970s. Poor quality but interesting nonetheless. Time truly stood still in all those small towns along the Mallow/Waterford line after the railway closed in 1967.

Cappoquin%2B-%2BCopy.jpg

• Advertisement

Evening folks,

The latest images have now been uploaded to the March gallery.

Monday 13th March 2017:
    A few pictures from Portlaoise, Ballybrophy and Limerick with the aim of heading to Birdhill to photograph a Ballast Train which should have been stabled there. It wasn't! Looks like it dropped its stone and headed back to Limerick Jct. instead of stabling. The ever elusive perway train!

Tuesday 14th March 2017:
    A ramble around Portlaoise and Portarlington at lunchtime produced some better luck with perway trains!
    - Inspection Car 723 heading to Ballybrophy.
    - Track Recording Car 700 heading from Mallow to Heuston.
    - Ultra rare passenger loco 223 on a MKIV set.
    - HOBS and Spoil trains at Portarlington.
    - 22001 being reformed at Laois Depot into its correct formation.

Click http://smu.gs/2mGqKGF to view.

DSC_8880-M.jpg

DSC_8888-M.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Know of 3 BallyB, Thurles & Mallow. Charleville may also have one. Not sure after that.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Know of 3 BallyB, Thurles & Mallow. Charleville may also have one. Not sure after that.

The following services (Mon to Sat) are planned to do rusty rail moves.

• Ballybrophy Down Loop. 1525 Heuston Limerick.
    • Thurles Down Loop. 0740 Limerick Jct Thurles Ety.
    • Charleville Down Loop. 1900 Heuston Cork.
    • Mallow Platform 3 (To Dublin). 2020 Cork Heuston.
    • Tralee Line Crossing Loops. 0620 Cork Tralee serves the loops at Banteer and Farranfore, plus Killarney Bay. 2055 Cork Tralee serves Killarney Bay.

I would expect something along the same lines when (if!) the new Connolly timetable is ever introduced for Connolly side services.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭haulier

Many moons ago, didn't the night L.E. / Ammonias test the DSE system for the banalised running between Connolly & Dun Laoire

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

The following services (Mon to Sat) are planned to do rusty rail moves.

• Ballybrophy Down Loop. 1525 Heuston Limerick.
    • Thurles Down Loop. 0740 Limerick Jct Thurles Ety.
    • Charleville Down Loop. 1900 Heuston Cork.
    • Mallow Platform 3 (To Dublin). 2020 Cork Heuston.
    • Tralee Line Crossing Loops. 0620 Cork Tralee serves the loops at Banteer and Farranfore, plus Killarney Bay. 2055 Cork Tralee serves Killarney Bay.

I would expect something along the same lines when (if!) the new Connolly timetable is ever introduced for Connolly side services.

Sligo and Rosslare lines have rusty rail moves operating the last number of years.

haulier wrote: »
    Many moons ago, didn't the night L.E. / Ammonias test the DSE system for the banalised running between Connolly & Dun Laoire

Yes they used to run "wrong road" in both directions to keep the reversible working signals in check.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭BowWow

Sorry, what's a "rusty rail move"?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

BowWow wrote: »
    Sorry, what's a "rusty rail move"?

it's basically a train running over a little used siding or loop. done to keep the tracks clear of rust and weeds. there are probably more reasons as well but they would be the basic ones.
    GM228 wrote: »
    Sligo and Rosslare lines have rusty rail moves operating the last number of years.

i didn't think there were any loops or sidings left on either for such moves? if so where are they and when do the moves take place?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

i didn't think there were any loops or sidings left on either for such moves? if so where are they and when do the moves take place?

Mullingar and Carrick on Shannon Loop on the Sligo line (Enfield isn't done unfortunately), and Rathdrum, Gorey, Wexford Loop and Rosslare Strand on the Rosslare line.

Usually the first down train uses the lesser used line when possible.

• Advertisement

Evening folks,

Photos from Wednesday and Thursday have now been uploaded to the March gallery at http://smu.gs/2mUImAj

On Thursday I took a ramble from Portlaoise to Limerick via Galway.

Some good loadings on the Western Rail Corridor. The 1840 Galway - Ennis (22003) had 43 passengers after Athenry. Many of these connected off the 1630 Heuston Galway. 31 of these alighted in Ennis, with 6 remaining in board for the 77 minute wait for the 2110 Ennis Limerick. The reason for the long wait is due to the long single line section between Limerick and Ennis of 24 miles and two trains from Limerick at 1945 (to Galway) and 2025 (to Ennis).
    The 1800 Limerick Galway was crossed at Gort formed of a single 2800 Class unit. It was full and standing room only with all four vestibules having standing and sitting passengers in them.
    Meanwhile for the 77 minute wait at Ennis I took a walk down the town to check out a certain railway themed pub.

DSC_8957-M.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

Hi Folks,

See photos below from one of my UK Flickr contacts. Can anyone confirm for him that this was indeed the last working over this line?

33518290845_729dd7297d_c.jpg160 & 192 at New Cross. Co.Wexford, Éire. by Adrian Nicholls, on Flickr

32673842924_9a5e114e7c_c.jpg192 at New Ross Station LC, Co.Wexford. Éire. by Adrian Nicholls, on Flickr

I believe the last working was the weedsprayer around 1995/6 which caught fire en route.
    I think you're right. 121 caught fire due to a traction motor fire caused by the vegetation. Never ran again.

I believe the last working was the weedsprayer around 1995/6 which caught fire en route.

That's what I think it is. That also finished off 121.

Thanks all, so the photos are probably the last revenue-earning movements?

Another shot posted by another UK enthusiast on the same thread shows this train in Waterford in April 1995. The plot thickens.....

https://flic.kr/p/eThyeB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭h.gricer

Thanks all, so the photos are probably the last revenue-earning movements?

Never say never, I just replied to your friend on Flickr, a pair of 121class locomotives worked a laden fert from New Ross into Waterford on Monday 30th January 1995.
    I was also in New Ross for that working on Saturday 3rd October 1992, I posted the details on his Flickr site.
    Regards
    h.gricer

Advertisement