Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fedor vs Henderson

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Since when has Eurosport been showing live Strikeforce? If I knew I would have watched it live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Since when has Eurosport been showing live Strikeforce? If I knew I would have watched it live

Same here :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Just Eurosport International. It's not the same Eurosport we receive here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There isn't a hope in hell that it was an early stoppage.

Fedor was knocked out. As simple as. That's the end of the fight right there.
    furthermore, he eats two right hands when unconscious. He didn't "recover" or anything like Hendo kept punching him and most likely woke him up with a punch.

The most important point, that none of the early stoppage brigade are mentioning, that if it was let go on, hendo was still on top of him landing shots and there is no way Fedor was gettign out of there. He would of been nowhere near 100% after being knocked out.

Replay shows Herb Dean was once again spot on
    danhendersonstopsfedoremelianenkostrikeforcebig.gif

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Just Eurosport International. It's not the same Eurosport we receive here

Yeah, that's the Eurosport I receive

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Mellor wrote: »
    Replay shows Herb Dean was once again spot on
    danhendersonstopsfedoremelianenkostrikeforcebig.gif

Does it?

I have a lot of respect for Herb but that's an earlyu stoppage imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

jayteecork wrote: »
    Does it?

Pretty clearly does. Fedor was out. He went limp and faceplanted from the uppercut, took a couple more shots which brought him back around. Deserved stoppage.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Mega Chin wrote: »
    Pretty clearly does. Fedor was out. He went limp and faceplanted from the uppercut, took a couple more shots which brought him back around. Deserved stoppage.

I suppose, pity, had the makings of a great fight.

True. Hendo just hits that hard though.
    Coulda gone like the Shields fight although he was woken up by his head hitting the mat :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dave80

It was a great fight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

Fedor was knocked out, no question. Took two nasty looking blows to the back of the head immediately afterwards aswell though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Fedor turned over just as Herb came in to stop it. I would have liked to have seen Fedor given another few seconds to see if he could defend himself.

Fedor turned over just as Herb came in to stop it. I would have liked to have seen Fedor given another few seconds so Hendo could continue to destroy Fedor's head and probably lead him to the hospital

FYP

Referee Herb Dean has reviewed the footage of his call this past Saturday in the main event of "Strikeforce and M-1 Global: Fedor vs. Henderson" and has come to the same conclusion as the one he made in a split second.

Fedor Emelianenko was unconscious, taking punishment, and out of the fight.

"If I was to do it again – if I see a fighter face down receiving shots, I'm going to step in and stop the fight," Dean today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "I can't predict how long he's going to be unconscious for."

Time, as it happened, was in short supply when Dan Henderson snuck an uppercut in on Fedor Emelianenko – after being felled himself – and caught the Russian's chin. Emelianenko pancaked on the mat as Henderson swarmed with punches. In the blink of an eye, Dean had intervened to stop the fight, and Henderson was the winner by TKO.

"Strikeforce and M-1 Global: Fedor vs. Henderson" took place at Sears Centre Arena in Hoffman Estates, Ill., and its main card aired live on Showtime.

It was a blazingly fast stoppage, and many fans weren't happy with it. Online outcry immediately pointed to the shots Emelianenko took after the uppercut and the fact that he rolled to his back after the shot.

But Dean said he had already made his decision to stop the fight when he saw Emelianenko go out and had touched Henderson to initiate his wave-off prior to the roll. That Henderson landed two punches in the interim was irrelevant.

"The fight is over when he's unconscious," Dean said. "Because he comes back swiftly after I've already stepped in and stopped the fight, I can't restart the fight. Dan's still throwing punches, but once I've touched Dan, I've stopped the fight."

As post-fight pandemonium set in, Dean came to Emelianenko's aid. No words were exchanged.

"I stepped in to support him once he stood up because his balance was still not totally there," he said. "I believe his motor control was still questionable."

It was Emelianenko's third consecutive loss, and Henderson's third consecutive win using his fists. For Emelianenko's diehard fans, it was heartbreak.

Dean, though, did his job to the best of his abilities.

"Once I see an unconscious fighter receiving blows while unconscious, that's my job to prevent him from receiving more blows, and that's what I'm going to do," he said.

Source

Does it?

Knocked out = Fight over
    As I said in my last post, this is even before you consider the two shots landed while he was out. From the post above, Herb Dean agreed.
    Fedor turned over just as Herb came in to stop it. I would have liked to have seen Fedor given another few seconds to see if he could defend himself.

He turn over because Hendo landed two big shots and woke him up. He was prob still groggy as hell and allowing more punches would of been reckless from the Ref.

There is a huge difference between being knocked out and knocked down. If you see a guy get KO'd in person you'd know they are still not with it for some time afterwards. The TV doesn't convey this enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

It is always tough to call with the fittness/recovery powers of top MMA fighters these days. Look at the recent Pat Barry v Cheik Congo, surely that fight had to be stopped to save Congo after he had been floored 3 times in about 30secs......but we know how that turned out.

Fedor was definitely out (flash Ko I think its called) and the fight had to be stopped if the organisations want to keep us believing that fighter safety is paramount etc.

Personally as an mma fan I would have liked it to go on a bit longer (just to be sure lol!, after all Fedor has been the comeback king in several of his fights), but thats not much good if a fighter gets badly hurt because the fans need to be sure he is beaten fully unconcious.

Good call Herb and it would be seen as such if it wa alesser fighter in the cage, imo.

It is always tough to call with the fittness/recovery powers of top MMA fighters these days. Look at the recent Pat Barry v Cheik Congo, surely that fight had to be stopped to save Congo after he had been floored 3 times in about 30secs......but we know how that turned out.
    Knocked down and knocked out isn't the same.
    And even so, jsut because one fight was let continue when it should of been stopped (i'm not saying kongo/barry defo should have btw) doesn't justify lettign another continue.
    Fedor was definitely out (flash Ko I think its called) and the fight had to be stopped if the organisations want to keep us believing that fighter safety is paramount etc.
    A flash KO is when is out but regains consciousness instantly. Like when they are punched and drop, but are awake and defending before they hit the amt.
    Fedor was out proper and punched back awake. This is pretty common, but if its seen, it has to be stopped
    Personally as an mma fan I would have liked it to go on a bit longer (just to be sure lol!, after all Fedor has been the comeback king in several of his fights), but thats not much good if a fighter gets badly hurt because the fans need to be sure he is beaten fully unconcious.
    Personally, I've little doubt was the outcome would of been if it was let continue, fedor wasn't getting out it if after a KO. Herb even said he was shakey standing afterwards.
    And as an MMA fan, I'd rather they continued to make stoppages like this, its safer for the fighter and its also better for the sport. One of the reason the sport is accepted now and wasn't 15-20 years ago is that they don't let guys get beaten senseless anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Fedor Emelianenko is no longer a Strikeforce fighter.

But he is definitely still a Showtime fighter, according to his representatives.

UFC president Dana White said today that the former PRIDE champion's days in the hexagon have come to an end following a third consecutive loss this past Saturday in suburban Chicago.

"You guys thought he was the pound-for-pound best fighter in the world," White said at a media scrum following the pre-event press conference for UFC 133. "I said he was overrated for years."

White said "he thought so" when asked whether Emelianenko's contract was up and that Zuffa simply wasn't re-signing him.

The decision to cut Emelianenko, though, wasn't one in which he was involved.

"I'm so far removed from any of that [expletive]," he said.

Reached for comment on the release, M-1 Global Director of Operations Evgeni Kogan said to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), "Really? Given that [White] doesn't have a contract with Fedor, interesting."

Kogan stated that Emelianenko's contract lies not with the recently acquired Strikeforce but instead with Showtime Networks, Inc., who played a major role in bringing the Russian back to the negotiating table after talks with Strikeforce broke down in the latter half of 2010.

As part of a deal to bring Emelianenko back to the Strikeforce cage, Showtime negotiated a deal to broadcast four M-1 Global events in 2011. The first of those events took place this past March in Norfolk, Va.

Kogan indicated that Emelianenko may soon find a home with the promotion in which he also holds a minority ownership stake.

Emelienanko was stopped in the first round by Dan Henderson in the main event of "Strikeforce and M-1 Global: Fedor vs. Henderson." Afterward, he deflected comments about possible retirement and said a decision would be made after he returned to Russia to spend time with his family.

For complete coverage of "Strikeforce and M-1 Global: Fedor vs. Henderson" event, check out the MMA Events section of the site.

Linky: http://mmajunkie.com/news/24686/white-says-emelianenko-cut-from-strikeforce-rep-says-contract-still-intact-with-showtime.mma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

God he's such a smug git that White. If Fedor had signed with UFC that time ya can be sure he would be saying the exact opposite.

Fedor v White in a boxing match please :)

• Advertisement

Kazooie wrote: »
    God he's such a smug git that White. If Fedor had signed with UFC that time ya can be sure he would be saying the exact opposite.

Fedor v White in a boxing match please :)

That would only happen if Fedor was promised $1m and it involved M1 Global having 16 of their events shown live via satelite into the dental fillings of every UFC fan in the world.

M1 obviously over valued Fedor so I wouldn't blame Dana White for being smug about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

But why call him over rated. that's just childish in my opinion. Liddell was the top LHW for years then like Fedor got old and got his ass handed to him a few times. Same with Matt hughes, Gracie, etc...
    He'd never call any of them over rated. He's just being a knob as usual.

Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Dan Henderson (28-8 MMA, 3-1 SF) may soon return to the UFC's roster, according to UFC president Dana White.

The 40-year-old Henderson recently ended a four-fight Strikeforce deal with an emphatic TKO win over former PRIDE heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko and is free to test the open waters of free agency.

Now White says he'll at least entertain the idea of the seven-time UFC vet making his way back into the octagon.

"We'll see what happens," White said following Thursday's pre-UFC 133 press conference. "'Hendo' and I have had some history in dealings. We'll see if we can figure something out and get him back in the UFC."

Henderson made his UFC debut way back in May 1998 with a single-night middleweight tournament victory at UFC 17. The wrestling standout went on to a distinguished career competing in Japan before returning to the U.S. in September 2007 at UFC 75.

After dropping back-to-back title fights against then-UFC light heavyweight champ Quinton "Rampage" Jackson and UFC middleweight kingpin Anderson Silva, Henderson then earned a trio of victories over Michael Bisping, Rich Franklin and Rousimar Palhares. Following the final victory in that stretch, a UFC 100 TKO win over Bisping, Henderson bolted for Strikeforce.

At the time, White said he assumed Henderson would finish his career under the Strikeforce banner.

"Dan probably won't be back in the UFC," White told MMAjunkie.com Radio. "He'll retire over there."

Now, White said that may not necessarily be the case. Of course, it's ultimately all about numbers.

"It's not that I've never been interested in Henderson," White said. "Listen, you can come to a deal with guys or you can't."

Of course, removing the Strikeforce light heavyweight champ from the promotion would seem to be one more hit to a promotion that has already lost its welterweight champ, Nick Diaz, its heavyweight champ, Alistair Overeem, and former female champ Marloes Coenen in a variety of roster moves made since the UFC's parent company acquired the promotion.

Hardly, "business as usual," it would seem.

Nevertheless, White insisted the latest move wasn't some sign that Strikeforce was facing certain doom. In fact, White said UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta would soon meet with Showtime executives to discuss the future of Strikeforce on the premium-cable channel.

"What we said about Strikeforce is the thing has to run like a business," White said. "If we can run this thing, and the thing isn't losing a ton of money, then Strikeforce will stay alive and be rebuilt, and we'll see what happens."

For complete coverage of "Strikeforce and M-1 Global: Fedor vs. Henderson" event, check out the MMA Events section of the site.

Linky : http://mmajunkie.com/news/24687/dana-white-hints-strikeforce-champ-dan-henderson-could-soon-return-to-ufcs-ranks.mma

I'd be over the moon if this came off, so many interesting fights over there for Hendo, what's to keep him at SF? Nothing, apart from his belt which would be nothing compared to him getting some superfights in UFC

But why call him over rated. that's just childish in my opinion. Liddell was the top LHW for years then like Fedor got old and got his ass handed to him a few times. Same with Matt hughes, Gracie, etc...
    He'd never call any of them over rated. He's just being a knob as usual.

That's just a load of rubbish.

Liddell retired still fighting top names, and all through his career he fought the top guys, NOT ONCE did he take an easy fight, Fedor on the other hand, yes he fought guys like CroCop, Nog, Coleman & Herring but his fight history is littered with Cans like Hong Man Choi (special rules insisted on by Fedors management, no knees!!!!)

Look at the times when Fedor actually fought one of those quality fighters, they mostly ended up going to decision (CroCop, Nog x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭The Bored One

scudzilla wrote: »

Liddell retired still fighting top names, and all through his career he fought the top guys, NOT ONCE did he take an easy fight, Fedor on the other hand, yes he fought guys like CroCop, Nog, Coleman & Herring but his fight history is littered with Cans like Hong Man Choi (special rules insisted on by Fedors management, no knees!!!!)

Look at the times when Fedor actually fought one of those quality fighters, they mostly ended up going to decision (CroCop, Nog x2)

The knee strike rule with Hong Man Choi was because there was a weight difference of over 100 pounds for the fight. Fedor was 225 whereas Hong was about 350 from what I recall. Just to give some context. Also I thought it was just no knee strikes on the ground which is a normal provision in Japanese fights if there is a weight difference of over 20 pounds. Not arguing that Hong wasn't a can though.

scudzilla wrote: »

Jeremy Horn as a bloated middleweight getting a magic title shot?
    That was a fight setup purely so Chuck could avenge the loss

Jeremy Horn as a bloated middleweight getting a magic title shot?
    That was a fight setup purely so Chuck could avenge the loss

Yeah Horn was given a title shot, but he was also on the back of a 6 fight win streak, his loss previous to that was a decision defeat to Anderson Silva, i'd hardly call Horn a can, like some of the cans Fedor has fought.

Can you name any other fights that ya think Chuck may have been given an easy ride??

Jeremy Horn is the closest you'll get to comparing Chuck's run with Fedor's and at the time Horn had won 11 of his last 12 (minus a decision defeat to Anderson Silva). Speaking of bloated Middleweights, do you forget that Fedor fought Matt Lindland? And at Heavyweight too.

Liddell was uniformly fighting the best in the world and never ONCE turned down a fight. If I remember correctly, the first time he actually pulled out of a scheduled fight was when he horribly tore his hammy before he was due to fight Rashad the first time.

Fedor is a legend, but there's no getting away from the fact that there was a massive part of his career where he didn't exactly seek out the top fighters in the world to fight. I mean Hong Man Choi? Come on!

• Advertisement

Im not denying Fedor fought some absolute cans & freak fights.
    Especially this guy O_0 (although he came in with a good record)
    20090112020013_zuluzinho.JPG

I was just pointing out that Liddells fight with Horn was an easy fight for him at the time. It was given purely to avenge a loss. At the time the Jardine fight was signed I was a bit sceptical too but that didnt exactly go to plan!

But there's a slight difference. You can't blame Fedor for Pride's choices of fights but Liddell and his team were never actively out looking to fight cans.

But Fedor's management chose to put him in against a freakishly big guy with only 1 MMA fight rather than have him prove himself as the best in the world. Liddell was ALWAYS out to prove he was the best in the world.

(Also, Horn worked his way into contention and had the advantage of being a guy who had already beaten the world champ. Very very like Rampage and how they sold him on his introduction to the UFC. Nothing wrong with that really)

Im not denying Fedor fought some absolute cans & freak fights.
    Especially this guy O_0 (although he came in with a good record)
    20090112020013_zuluzinho.JPG

I was just pointing out that Liddells fight with Horn was an easy fight for him at the time. It was given purely to avenge a loss. At the time the Jardine fight was signed I was a bit sceptical too but that didnt exactly go to plan!

I honestly can't see how you're saying Horn was an easy fight. Sure it wasn't the hardest Chuck's ever had but certainly not easy.

At the time of the fight Horn was 11-1 in his previous 12, had already beaten Chuck.

And if it was as easy as you're saying how come it took Chuck 4 rounds to finish him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

Very few fights throughout Chuck Lidell's career you could call easy pick em fights, win or loose. People mention Jeremy Horn, that was avenging a very early career loss, for the next ten years or so, he faced a very strong list of fighters, in that time there were few if any faced as many high level opponents as Chuck. I would say from the Randelman through to his retirement, you would be hard pressed to find anyone who consistently faced better opponents.

Massive lol at mentioning Chuck when discussing Fedor fighting cans. Of all the fighters that could of been picked, Chuck was hands down the worst guy.

Nobody is blaming Fedor, M1 were behind the can fights, they were protecting their asset. But Fedor had the power to go for the elite. He didn't. Looking at him now, compared to a few years ago. He let himself get into terrible shape, largely due to easy fights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

I think DW is just a sore winner. Like Fedor was the best fighter to fight in the UFC and until Reem shows more dominance I don't think there will be much disputing that. It really annoyed DW that he couldn't sign Fedor and he'll never forgive the M1 management. As unreasonable as they may have been I don't see much point in kicking a man while he's down.

• Advertisement

Xlami wrote: »
    I think DW is just a sore winner. Like Fedor was the best fighter to fight in the UFC and until Reem shows more dominance I don't think there will be much disputing that. It really annoyed DW that he couldn't sign Fedor and he'll never forgive the M1 management. As unreasonable as they may have been I don't see much point in kicking a man while he's down.

If a guy tried to sell me a product I was willing to pay a reasonable price for but tried to seriously rip me off over the price, i'd laugh in his face if the product then became next to worthless!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

I see your point, but at the same time I don't think the situation can be analysed as bluntly as that. Fedor helped the sport grow and now the figurehead of that sport is treating him with **** all respect.

Xlami wrote: »
    I see your point, but at the same time I don't think the situation can be analysed as bluntly as that. Fedor helped the sport grow and now the figurehead of that sport is treating him with **** all respect.

Nope. Dana is simply saying "I told you so". he was telling these guys that Fedor wasn't worth what they were trying to get Dana to pay for him. And it turns out he was right. He has every right to be smug.

Anybody wanna give me odds that Dana offers Fedor a slot on the next season of TUF, and not as a coach!!!!

Advertisement