Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Leak in Bathroom

Options
  • 29-07-2011 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

Just discovered that I have a leak under tiles in the downstairs toilet. There is damp rising up the wall behind the sink and there is a puddle of water on the floor in front of the sink around the tiles, you can see the grout is all wet.

I bought the house 12 months ago off the County Council through the affordable housing. Is this type of problem included in a general home insurance policy or is there an obligation on the county council to sort out this issue?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭needadvi

How do you suppose they will fix this problem even if they are culpable? Dampness is not something that can be fixed it can only be managed in most cases. Sorry. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Markymark123

The tiles will need to pulled up and the leak will need to be fixed, it's bad enough as there is a puddle on the floor everytime I go in there. Didn't mean to say the wall is damp but its actually wet. Just wondering are the council oblidged to fix this or if not will my house insurance cover this? The tiles were expensive and really don't want to fork out for new tiles that are not even down 12 months :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭needadvi

Ok so if your talking about fixtures and fittings well then you should contact the county council and ask them, and if they say it's not their problem then you should call the home insurance company and enquire. If they say it's not part of the policy then your pretty much stuck with the cost unless your on social welfare and in that case you could go to your CWO about this and see if they will help you out. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is this in the wrong section???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Hi,

Just discovered that I have a leak under tiles in the downstairs toilet. There is damp rising up the wall behind the sink and there is a puddle of water on the floor in front of the sink around the tiles, you can see the grout is all wet.

I bought the house 12 months ago off the County Council through the affordable housing. Is this type of problem included in a general home insurance policy or is there an obligation on the county council to sort out this issue?

Thanks

Best bet is to call your insurance company.They will likely send an assessor out and he will decide whether you are covered or not.Stuff like that would generally be covered however its best to get it straight from the horses mouth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Your home insurance should cover it. If your policy has an exclusion for 'trace and access' then the cost of locating the leak (be it through digging up a floor or cutting a wall) won't be covered.

Advertisement