Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

whats the most unmannerly cycling club in ireland? Orwell Wheelers??

• 29-07-2011 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭

Just wonderin what people think here. I cycle in dublin, tipperary/waterford and donegal(not very often) so i've come across a good few people while out trainin (dont really have any experience racin... not since i was junior anyway).

Most people when they pass you comming the opposite direction will give you a nod, wink or a wave. I usually nod and wink ;) like that.

Most people that are goin the same direction but goin alot faster than you will just say "hows it goin" (you'll probably be too f**ed to reply but its ok cause their gone anyway).

Most people that pass you a couple of mph faster than your goin will say "hows it goin" you'll say howye and he'll say nice day for it. at this stage you'll probably only manage a grunt. If its goin uphill he'll probably say (or you if your doin the passin) "its a tough one this, not too far to the top" to try make the slower person feel a bit better.

Somepeople find it hard to pass you so they sit on you for a minute or two and then come out n say "thanks for the tow" or maybe even "sit on there for a while"

Last saturday i went stepaside/johnnyfoxes/turned right,left,left up sally gap. 3 dundrum's passed me (seperatly) one commin the opposite direction 2 the same direction. All 3 just stared straight ahead and never replied to my "hows it goin".... or my "ya pr**k" that i said under me breath after the no reply.

Tuesday i think it was i was goin up the hill from enniskerry to kilternan (the back road by the wall) when a dundrummer sat on me for the first half then attacked me (didnt have a very good style either), again no thankd for the little tow or hello or anything. Almost caught him at the top withough actually speeding up.

the day after almost the same thing (different fella) up johnny foxes.

Should drundrum start some kind of etiquitte course???

I've noticed this for a while but just thought it was the bike to work scheme bringin in alot of newbies that dont realise you should say hello and all of that, but i find at least with the dundrummers alot of them are ould lads that look like they've been cyclin for years (they wear sidi shoes that havent been on sale for 20 years)

BTW: i yes i am **** at goin up hills and alot of people do pass me :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Needy much?
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

:eek:

*pulls up a comfy chair. Switches the coffee machine on and opens a packet of choccy bikkie's*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Yay!! Friday :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭markcroninbsc

haha yea. i think i'll give this one a bump on tuesday mornin too. ya'll need a bit of light entertainment after the long weekend.
    SomeFool wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Holy moley this'll be a good one.... Why pull this out so late on a bank hol Fri though.........:......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Love fridays me. Every friday I make a point of saying hello to absolutely everybody I meet on the path on the way to the shops, whether I know them or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

OP needs to get a dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

tCp90.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

SomeFool wrote: »
    Yes in that case. :p every one of them wearing helmets yesterday evening never mind none of their marshalls showing up on time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I've noticed this for a while but just thought it was the bike to work scheme bringin in alot of newbies that dont realise you should say hello and all of that, but i find at least with the dundrummers alot of them are ould lads that look like they've been cyclin for years (they wear sidi shoes that havent been on sale for 20 years)

I'm unaware of this rule, could you please expand on the "and all of that" so I don't make the mistake next time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Just wonderin what people think here. I cycle in dublin, tipperary/waterford and donegal(not very often) so i've come across a good few people while out trainin (dont really have any experience racin... not since i was junior anyway).

Most people when they pass you comming the opposite direction will give you a nod, wink or a wave. I usually nod and wink ;) like that.

Most people that are goin the same direction but goin alot faster than you will just say "hows it goin" (you'll probably be too f**ed to reply but its ok cause their gone anyway).

Most people that pass you a couple of mph faster than your goin will say "hows it goin" you'll say howye and he'll say nice day for it. at this stage you'll probably only manage a grunt. If its goin uphill he'll probably say (or you if your doin the passin) "its a tough one this, not too far to the top" to try make the slower person feel a bit better.

Somepeople find it hard to pass you so they sit on you for a minute or two and then come out n say "thanks for the tow" or maybe even "sit on there for a while"

Last saturday i went stepaside/johnnyfoxes/turned right,left,left up sally gap. 3 dundrum's passed me (seperatly) one commin the opposite direction 2 the same direction. All 3 just stared straight ahead and never replied to my "hows it goin".... or my "ya pr**k" that i said under me breath after the no reply.

Tuesday i think it was i was goin up the hill from enniskerry to kilternan (the back road by the wall) when a dundrummer sat on me for the first half then attacked me (didnt have a very good style either), again no thankd for the little tow or hello or anything. Almost caught him at the top withough actually speeding up.

the day after almost the same thing (different fella) up johnny foxes.

BTW: i yes i am **** at goin up hills and alot of people do pass me :D

great rant. have to say i agree in that i've often been snobbed by orwellians. i usually just give a nod of the head as well but its bad form not to get a nod back. ah well, go nudge a snail pedestrian is my advice. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

tCp90.gif

God...you forget that he actually used to be black once.

I'm unaware of this rule, could you please expand on the "and all of that" so I don't make the mistake next time?

Is that the first dundummian? haha an dont worry about the "all of that" part just the nod would be a start.

did a quick google tho http://www.bccutah.org/ulcer/event-info/cycling-etiquette/ im going to start doin a number 4 on and dundummian i see in future :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Khannie wrote: »
    God...you forget that he actually used to be black once.
    What's he up to these days?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Thread title mentions Orwell Wheelers but opening post only mentions Dundrum.
    OP is off-topic and should be banned.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Orweller smells the culchie. Orweller snubs the culchie. Culchie be hatin'. Orweller not be carin'.

Hermy wrote: »
    Thread title mentions Orwell Wheelers but opening post only mentions Dundrum.
    OP is off-topic and should be banned.

sory excuse my ignorance. I'm not 100% sure but i thought dundrum and orwell wheelers were the same thing no? I definitly mean the ones with dundrum written on them.

Is that the first dundummian? haha an dont worry about the "all of that" part just the nod would be a start.

did a quick google tho http://www.bccutah.org/ulcer/event-info/cycling-etiquette/ im going to start doin a number 4 on and dundummian i see in future :D

Nope, I'm unattached to any club, but would hate to upset you as I am often out on the roads you mentioned.

I cannot help but worry about the "all of that" as I would hate to think that I missed out on some important code signal that would make your life complete, so please expand on it.

I think that your link is quite misleading too, as I would imagine that it would be very dangerous to:
    Stay to the right when in front to allow room for others to pass safely on your left
    As undertaking is something that isn't very nice, and may lead me to be squished by a car or something else.

Why not post up the list of rules everyone should follow, so as to avoid this sort of thing in the future, as I am unaware of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

As an Orwellian, when on the bike I don't acknowledge anyone with a qualification less than a PhD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Ouch... thread Fail I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

When pedalling outside of Dundrum, I'm usually busy flinging coins out of my back pockets at the natives and shouting "Affluence! Affluence!", so I might get distracted the odd time.

Simple answer though is 'no'

Orwell riders are Middle/Upper Class.
    You are lower class.
    You should doff your helmet to members of the upper class
    They should ignore your very existence.

It's clear that Orwell Riders have been to the correct finishing school, and know how to behave. You are in the wrong in this scenario and should apologise.

Culchies, know your place!

Why not post up the list of rules everyone should follow, so as to avoid this sort of thing in the future, as I am unaware of them

Ah theres too many to post up here. and its twenty to 5. ive to go home shortly.

One that you might like tho is rule number 42 "at higher speeds avoid tiny explosions when you have a rider sittin on your wheel, at lower speeds look for wind direction before making any tiny explosions"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

OP - fair play for making a stand

Too long have we (assorted mediocre Fred's, passing culchie's and anyone else who doesn't have a folly or day-spa in their back garden) been crushed under the iron heel of the Orwellian jackboot.

Or something.

He calls it giving the other rider a heads up. I think the freds could at least say "on the right" if hello is too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 WLPD

Lumen wrote: »
    Orweller smells the culchie. Orweller snubs the culchie. Culchie be hatin'. Orweller not be carin'.

I take offence that it is presumed that OP is a Culchie.

I would take it that he is actually a Dub. How else would he claim that his experience of 1 club on spins around South Dublin/Wicklow would give them a All Ireland Title.

If he had any experience of club rivalries down the country he would know that this is normal:D

If I decide to wave at you, how many fingers would you like me to display?

WLPD wrote: »
    I take offence that it is presumed that OP is a Culchie.

I would take it that he is actually a Dub. How else would he claim that his experience of 1 club on spins around South Dublin/Wicklow would give them a All Ireland Title.

If he had any experience of club rivalries down the country he would know that this is normal:D

No need to take offence for me. I am a culchie. Livin in the ****e hole for the last couple of years tho. Club rivalry is ok but most club riders down the country if they pass someone in an unbranded jersey will give the ould nod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Why so much hate. Get some friends or something.

• Advertisement

Well i think its time i went home for the evenin. might give the bike a miss for this evenin :P

If any of ye see me out tomorrow tho (black n yellow giant bike, sometimes blue n white giant gear or these days black/yellow/white GPSpeedOMeter gear, im like a little wasp with all me black n yellow, easy to spot), , i was only jokin really!

but i will be bringin an extra bottle of water with me to pelt at ye if i dont get a nod. ;)

bcdf047d7dle-nod.jpg.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

If I see you I will hop off the bike, run to you, hug you and squeeze your ass cheeks before leaving you alone in the unfriendly roads. You either do it correct or you don't do it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

i was only jokin really!

Good bank holiday Friday thread. Lumen wins funniest comment IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

AstraMonti wrote: »
    hug you and squeeze your ass cheeks before leaving you alone in the unfriendly roads.

You do that to everyone. And you never write or call afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭dave.obrien

Well i think its time i went home for the evenin.

Bye Mark! See you soon, yeah? Coffee's in Laragh are on me this weekend, I insist.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Now that's what I call Greek love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Marky you poor diddums,

I future everytime I pass you I'll promise to give you a biccie, I'm guessing your so fat already it ain't going to matter anyways.....

hopefully by tuesday the dumdummians will have gone from the grumpy ould yokes they are
    2511630873_45c177d571.jpg

to something a bit more happier and plesant to meet on the road

TeamSurfingUSA3.jpg

Hammertime wrote: »
    Marky you poor diddums,

I future everytime I pass you I'll promise to give you a biccie, I'm guessing your so fat already it ain't going to matter anyways.....

Just the one? Thanks i suppose.

LIAR!
    Well i think its time i went home for the evenin.
    a photo of three triathletes and their friend
    wibble

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Why all the culchie hatin?

Everyone knows that a proper dub is merely the offspring of one or more culchies.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

sory excuse my ignorance. I'm not 100% sure but i thought dundrum and orwell wheelers were the same thing no? I definitly mean the ones with dundrum written on them.

Sorry excuse my ignorance but I thought you were taking the p!ss so I responded in kind.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

Why so much hate. Get some friends or something.

and a branded jersey :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

Diarmuid wrote: »
    As an Orwellian, when on the bike I don't acknowledge anyone with a qualification less than a PhD

Huzzah, they called me stupid, they told me this day would never come.

Finally, my PhD will have some value. Four years of felling trees and digging up their roots is finally paying off.

It's all coming up Yi Harr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

Yes!
    Funny Friday is BACK!! :D

CPL 593H

Yi Harr wrote: »
    Huzzah, they called me stupid, they told me this day would never come.

Finally, my PhD will have some value. Four years of felling trees and digging up their roots is finally paying off.

It's all coming up Yi Harr.

he said p-h-d, not j-c-b :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

TeamSurfingUSA3.jpg

Mad, didn't know Laird Hamilton cycled, obviously suits him, he doesn't look 46. (second from the right, dark cap), epic surfer and a really nice fella!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

kenmc wrote: »
    he said p-h-d, not j-c-b :)

Funny you should mention that. Spent Wednesday and Thursday in a mini digger (for the good of science).

Still though, if it means people will say hello to me whilst cycling it's a win win situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

He calls it giving the other rider a heads up. I think the freds could at least say "on the right" if hello is too much.

His speech is faltering and his eyes show fear. I suspect he is making that video under duress, with some fella in a full-face helmet out of shot threatening to whack him with a bicycle pump if he veers from the script, while muttering "Let's just love each other. WHY CAN'T WE FECKIN' LOVE EACH OTHER!".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Mad, didn't know Laird Hamilton cycled, obviously suits him, he doesn't look 46. (second from the right, dark cap), epic surfer and a really nice fella!

It's certainly an interesting team. Another slightly unusual member is the guy from Rage Against The Machine on the far left of the photo. There was a good article in Cycling Plus (I think) about it last year - can't find it online but this article gives an overview. Sounds like they were a strong bunch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement