Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

whats the most unmannerly cycling club in ireland? Orwell Wheelers??

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

doozerie wrote: »
    It's certainly an interesting team

Well, thanks to markcroninbsc and doozerie what started off as a troll thread ended up as an education. Well done lads. (and oflahero and TinyExplosions made me laugh).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

While I won't tar every Orwellian with the same brush, there's at least one rude ****er who's muttered curses under his breath at me as I've passed him.

Lots of them said hi to me today on their way down from Glencree :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

The OP should be made aware of the fact that these guys he has been referring to were probably 'training',and focused on the task in hand, or upper/middle class types who only know how to do the royal wave,which to be honest is best not to do whilst climbing, or just simply ignorant. This 'problem' is not exclusive to Orwell, but it being the club with the largest membership in the country,odds are,there are MORE of the aforementioned types ;)
    And for the culchie bashing members,enjoy your Randonee that is mostly outside the Pale next weekend :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I ates hang sangwiges n tae from d'boot e'me car in fronta Croker of a Sunday.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

self confessed culchies and drink don't mix :D:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

doozerie wrote: »
    It's certainly an interesting team. Another slightly unusual member is the guy from Rage Against The Machine on the far left of the photo. There was a good article in Cycling Plus (I think) about it last year - can't find it online but this article gives an overview.

"Unfortunately Team Surfing USA was knocked out of the race when Winn was hit by a rival team's support van. "That was the only way they were going to stop us--by crashing into us," says Hamilton"

See, that's the way to treat surfers and GAA players when you see them out on the bike. OP should count himself lucky that Orwellians didn't elbow him into the nearest hedge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭C3PO

Returning home from 3-Rock today on the mountain bike, covered in muck and (even worse) wearing an Epic Club jersey when I saw a chap in an Orwell jersey cycling up Rathmichael Rd in my direction. Let's find out I thought to myself so I said a quick "howya" and got a wave, a smile and a "Hi there" in reply ...... lovely guys those Orwell Wheelers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

Most people when they pass you comming the opposite direction will give you a nod, wink or a wave. I usually nod and wink ;) like that.

Jaysus,, hard to spot a wink coming the opposite direction !!

Must check to see with the next Orwelllians ..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Bloody right! I know a lad who used to work in one of the food stalls in Croker and he wouldn't eat from them...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭markcroninbsc

its a little blurry but i think thats an orwell dundrum jersey?? Well done mrs!!! They do seem to be gettin better. well done orwell dundrum :D
    http://www.gpspeedometer.com/skt/images/full/P8280139.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Ah sweet baby Jesus Mark it' only Monday.
    Oh and is there any way of making that pic any bigger!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭markcroninbsc

bcmf wrote: »
    Ah sweet baby Jesus Mark it' only Monday.
    Oh and is there any way of making that pic any bigger!

sorry didnt see an option to make it smaller. i should have maybe linked to the thumbnail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

I used to worry about this kind of stuff.

Now I just use the shoes rule. If they're wearing the same kind of shoes I'll wave.

Mud covered SPD's : "How's it going, great day for it!!!"
    Running Shoes : " :cool: "
    Look cleated road shoes : " :cool: "

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mahoo

strangely i read this thread this morning and had nothing really to add...and then i went for a cycle in the phoenix park tonight!
    i dont know what club he was from but he had cycleways written on his ass and he was definitely unmannerly.
    was doing my usual route and pulled onto main avenue and this guy was about 20 meters ahead. we were pretty much doing same speed but then he slowed up a bit. so in keeping with the teachings of the boardsie drafting etiquette thread (was there a conclusion?) i started to pull out a bit to over take him. just as i was about to pull along side and say hi, he looked over his shoulder at me in disgust (im not that ugly! :D), and then put the head down and started peddling hard. he then proceeded to look back over his shoulder every 10 seconds to check i wasn't catching him as if he was going for a stage win or something ... if that wasnt twatty enough. a few minutes later he had slowed up on one of the hills and i caught up with him again. this time he let me pass him and i said hi (i decided to give him the benefit of the doubt) . no answer, just a cold stare. a few seconds later, behind me i hear a few clicks of the gears and he accelerates past again. at this point i concluded he was in fact a twat. i continued to cycle at my own pace and tried to ignore him. . but to round it all off, when he got to the next roundabout he turned back, eye balled me and gave me a big thumbs down :eek: ?!? i guess he doesnt like being overtaken... i think he's lonely

and i've had plenty waves from orwell wheelers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭sleepyholland

^^^^ Sounds like Lance is still doing laps of the Phoenix Park?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

mahoo wrote: »
    strangely i read this thread this morning and had nothing really to add...and then i went for a cycle in the phoenix park tonight!
    i dont know what club he was from but he had cycleways written on his ass and he was definitely unmannerly.
    was doing my usual route and pulled onto main avenue and this guy was about 20 meters ahead. we were pretty much doing same speed but then he slowed up a bit. so in keeping with the teachings of the boardsie drafting etiquette thread (was there a conclusion?) i started to pull out a bit to over take him. just as i was about to pull along side and say hi, he looked over his shoulder at me in disgust (im not that ugly! :D), and then put the head down and started peddling hard. he then proceeded to look back over his shoulder every 10 seconds to check i wasn't catching him as if he was going for a stage win or something ... if that wasnt twatty enough. a few minutes later he had slowed up on one of the hills and i caught up with him again. this time he let me pass him and i said hi (i decided to give him the benefit of the doubt) . no answer, just a cold stare. a few seconds later, behind me i hear a few clicks of the gears and he accelerates past again. at this point i concluded he was in fact a twat. i continued to cycle at my own pace and tried to ignore him. . but to round it all off, when he got to the next roundabout he turned back, eye balled me and gave me a big thumbs down :eek: ?!? i guess he doesnt like being overtaken... i think he's lonely

Was the gear black? Dectek have cycleways on their ass I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mahoo

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    Was the gear black? Dectek have cycleways on their ass I think.

no. shorts were greyish i think. didnt really see the top as he was making sure all i could see was his ass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

mahoo wrote: »

Thats a new low-love to know what knob that was.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Collumbo

Diarmuid wrote: »
    As an Orwellian, when on the bike I don't acknowledge anyone with a qualification less than a PhD

proper order diarmuid! :D savage win the other day

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Had a lovely commuter race yesterday evening with an Orwellian. Himself, an RLJer and me, up the clonskeagh/roebuck road to the M50, he had me on the starts (good acceleration) but I always caught him. The RLJer got owned by the two of us though, I think it was the second time the guy skipped us at lights (no racing until this point) we just pushed off a little bit faster and left him for dust before breaking off in separate directions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement