Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massive Build Problems / Faulty PSU

Options
  • 29-07-2011 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Just ordered and built a PC for a friend. Got it up and running fine with Win7 Ultimate 64-bit.

After about 1-3 days, the computer is crashing. Especially when playing games. The screen will freeze and black out. I got the BSOD too.

Specs:

AMD Phenmon II X4 955
    4GB DDR3 1600Mhz
    500GB
    HD 6850
    DVD-RW
    Asus mobo
    Super-flow 450W
    Xigmatek Case

I've tried fixing it for him. I took everything out, re-assembled it and double checked all connections.

I' 95% sure the problem is the PSU, 450W is not enough (according to the PSU calculator, 550W needed)

I'm now getting a message on boot-up, with ASUS anti-surge. "Power surges were dected from dangerous power supply" along those lines.

OK, so anyone at tall, got any suggestions or help?

*I can post pics if need-be.* Are you able to send back faulty components to hardwareversand, and get refunded?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You should be fine with 450W. Is it the Amazon series of the the super flower?

Have you had problems with electricity previously in that socket/your area?
    It's a good idea to have a surge protection powerstrip.
    Also be careful what you have have running in the area - don't switch on three electric kettles and a heater from the line at the same time.

First, check that all of the connectors are in good condition - how the wires are connected to the ends, the condition of sockets and that they are securely in place.
    Next, try a BIOS reset.

It could be the PSU or motherboard... or even something else. The crash might have messed up your windows install. If you have any spare parts, try them out if you're still getting messages after a BIOS reset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭kahf1_02

Thanks monotype for the reply.

It's the Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W First time I've tried them, don't seem to have good reputation as a brand. Plus the "80 Plus" I reckon is a farse.

I have the surge protection. I did try different sockets with nothing else on them, same problem. The plugs (for the PSU + monitor) are all german (EU) so I've got 2 EU adapters.

I'd love to know how you would reset the BIOS mate? Also, yeah, I will re-install Win7.

I got the "4GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance" I am 99% sure I've got the wrong kit for my motherboard too. In the user manual there not listed as a compatible kit. I wonder if that could be the issue!

I wouldn't be overly concerned about compatibility of RAM like that. There's often plenty not listed and AMD boards have had few issues in this area recently. Of course this doesn't rule out the RAM being banjacksed.

You have to get into the BIOS first. It's usually the delete key as soon as the computer is switched on. Look for prompts on the screen which tell you otherwise. Sometimes it's a function (F) key. The reset option is usually on the Save/Exit option screen.

A reinstall might not be necessary. You could try a repair. With Win 7, you put in the install disc, boot as if you were going to install but there's an option for repair below the install button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Corsair CMPSU-600CXEU would be a MUCH better power supply for this case. A 450W no-name PSU for 1600MHz RAM, AMD Quad Core and a HD 6850? Do you have any knowledge about PCs at all?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Sobanek wrote: »
    Corsair CMPSU-600CXEU would be a MUCH better power supply for this case. A 450W no-name PSU for 1600MHz RAM, AMD Quad Core and a HD 6850? Do you have any knowledge about PCs at all?

I could ask the same of you :P The SuperFlower Amazon series are very good units, and much better than the Corsair CX ****e that they've been selling recently. For a single 6850, that PSU is more than enough.

The speed of the RAM has no bearing on what sort of PSU would be neccessary.

As for the matter at hand, first thing I would do is run memtest for a few passes to see if that gives any errors. Posting the dumpfile would help identify the problem as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

IIRC...

X4-955BE - 100-110W (at stock)
    HD6850 - 90W

Add an arbitrary 20-30W for drives and onboard functions and you have a standard power draw of ~220W while gaming, which is under the 60% mark of the PSU (and in particular its 12V rails) - and at which point it will be ~85% efficient. It can peak above that if under extreme duress but the resulting figure would still be far, far away from 450W! So an Amazon is a great choice. Whereas a CX almost always sucks (although not as bad as the abysmal 430W unit! :P).

That said, its not impossible to get a bad PSU of any brand, although this kind of deterioration doesn't sound much like the PSU. If anything I'd say the mobo is on its way out :o

Will you need to update the BIOS if you reset it? And sure, I think a "repair" would be more logical.

I'll give memtest a run too. I tried running Prime95, it crashed out of that too. Generally speaking, that does indicate a bad PSU.

As for the dumpfile, it only displays for a brieft second. I'll post a image of the post BIOS message.

No, you don't need to update the BIOS before a reset. If it was a compatibility issue, an update would help - but if everything was working previously and if you get regular crashes, you shouldn't go down that route yet.

It's a good idea to reset it when you assemble a system anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned temperatures yet. OP, can you boot up at all now? How long until the machine crashes? If you can sit in Windows for a while with no trouble, download HWMonitor, and post temps.

Also, while I don't know much about SF Amazon PSUs, I do know that the low-end Corsair units aren't that great. I've heard quite a few stories.

Well, I had lined up memtest, Prime95 and a repair of Win7. But before I ran them I decided to re-build the whole PC.

I took out everything and reb-built the whole PC. To my surprise when I took out the CPU cooler, the CPU was stuck on the bottom of the cooler, the thermal paste had melted and stuck to it!

This meant I couldn't lock the CPU back in. I've re-assembled everything, then booted it up. The machine boots up, but the monitor doesn't pick up a signal. I cant' even get into the BIOS :(

This is quiet serious, I've spent £600 pounds on this PC + I'm a 3rd level student . . . and I'm left with a redundant PC. Please help.

• Advertisement

I hope you didn't damage the board taking the CPU out. It's to be expected that they get stuck. The trick is to twist it gently but you have to be very careful not to damage the board or the CPU.
    Take out the graphics card and put it back in. Make sure that all power connections to the graphics card are secure.

I don't think I did. I can power the PC on. That's all I have.

Is there anyway I can kick start the BIOS manual on the mobo, or even reset it? I have a ASUS mobo, there seems to be lot's of good features on it. It's an AM3+ motherboard too.

You have to sort out the display problems first. You motherboard might just have had it. Just make sure it's not something simple like loose monitor cables and that the card has power.

Try resetting the CMOS again (remember to leave the battery out for half a minute or so) and see if you can get as far as the BIOS. If you can't even get that far its down to a game of swapsies - tricky if you (or a very understanding mate) don't have a similar-ish PC to swap parts out of for testing. Its really a process of elimination, but my guess is that the mobo was already subpar and the CPU issue has finished it off. Not your fault, time to RMA it back to sender!

Right, firstly thanks a mil Solitaire. That sounds to be the soundest piece of advice I've got.

I'll reset the CMOS. Unfortunately I don't have a similar PC. I might have to pop down to my local PC shop. But I will play the game of "swapies"

Just bad luck I guess, getting bad parts from HVMS. This has really put me off PC building. I've been doing it since '07 for clients as a second income. But this seems like £600 quid down the drain.

Its not. If something is borked right from the start then its their problem; all the gear has individual guarantees, after all. Its certainly disheartening and frustrating, but the vast majority of builds come good after the initial issues are sorted :)

Advertisement