Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wall Fixings for Curtain Pole

• 29-07-2011 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

Have put up a number of these in the past but I see there is a new type fixing in the DIY shops - B&D Piranha Wall Fixings.

Anybody use them and how do they compare to the standard nylon fixing. There are also some metal, no drilling required fixings for hollow walls

The wall the pole is being secured to is your standard plasterboard and skimmed lined wall.

Anybody any experience or preference?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Magic Beans

How heavy are the curtains? The weight of blackout liners etc can put a lot of strain on the fixings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Window is approx 2000mm and the curtains will be lined. Curtain drop 720mm

They will not be as heavy as your custom made but will still be weighty enough.

I have only had 1 curtain pole come down on me before. Also one, mounted by the professionals with the custom curtains, came away from wall on one side. All my other jobs have been okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Magic Beans

What I have done in the past with really heavy curtains is to fix a wooden batten to the wall the entire length of the curtain pole. You can then fix that extemely securely at several points to the battens behind the plasterboard. They are easy enough to locate with an awl. The batten will cover the probe awl holes. Then you fix the curtain pole to your batten, it will never budge. If you take then time to finish the edges to a nice rounded shape with a router and paint to match the walls it is practically invisible.

Advertisement