Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To be or not to be Ironman

Options
  • 29-07-2011 4:33pm
    Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭

I've just done my first middle distance event. (Antwerp 70.3) I liked it even though my bike was pants. Even though its still early, Ive got to start thinking and planning what to do for next year. And one of the options is to go long and do an IM.

The question is not 'can' I do it. I know that if I train, I can drag my carcass around. The question is 'should' I do it, and if so, what races would other people recommend for a first timer? (No alps please).

I'm kinda torn between spending the next year doing more middle distance and building base, or just going for the big 'un. I know plenty of people here have experience of IM, and I really would like to hear how those with family fit the commitment into their lives. And whether its worth it. :)

Any advice or information welcome, apart from HTFU, which I already know is a requirement.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Do you think you should do it?

From a totally inexperienced in triathlon point of view, I guess it depends on what you want out of it. Do you think you could do yourself justice at IM distance next year or do you think an extra year would leave you feeling much more satisfied with the result? Do you want to finish or do you want to smash your expectations of yourself?

Serious respect to anyone who can fit all that training in, especially with families. :eek:

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Do you think you should do it?
    I like big challenges. I always have. I want to do it, but not if it's detrimental to my family life or my long term fitness.
    From a totally inexperienced in triathlon point of view, I guess it depends on what you want out of it. Do you think you could do yourself justice at IM distance next year or do you think an extra year would leave you feeling much more satisfied with the result? Do you want to finish or do you want to smash your expectations of yourself?
    Interesting points. I wasnt happy with my bike time in Antwerp, thats my weakest discipline, and the one Im most worried about if I do go to IM distance. The run I know I can cope with and the swim progression is going well up to now.

I know that with the best will in the world Im never going to smash IM distance with a mega time. Finishing itself would be an achievement, three years ago I was a couch potato. Speed is never my gift, nor something I enjoy training for. Endurance is. Maybe thats where Im going wrong, and I should be making it hurt more and doing speed work. Perhaps all this talk of distance is because its simply where I get the most enjoyment, I like to get stuck in and do longer races, in preference to shorter, hard ones. Is that in fact laziness on my part, that Im afraid of hard work? :p
    Serious respect to anyone who can fit all that training in, especially with families. :eek:
    Serious respect to the members of their family who put up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

I like your thinking:)
    However, as RQ says, the biggest issue is the life balance - I'd bet you'd finish an IM today, but you will get sucked into a world of long bikes and runs that can have a cumulative negative impact if not balanced accordingly.

As for events, Austria and Roth are probably the 2 friendliest in terms of course profile in Europe.

Austria was the one I looked at, but my only option for a slot seems to be a tour operator called Nirvana. So far they haven't got back to me. Unless I'm missing something, and have got the allocations system wrong. Must look at Roth. One of our club guys did a 9.09 there this year.

Oryx wrote: »
    I like big challenges. I always have. I want to do it, but not if it's detrimental to my family life or my long term fitness.

That's the way I thought about the Dingle Ultra last year. My year, 'fast' times wise, had already been written off so doing 50 miles seemed like the sort of challenge I wanted. For me I want to go longer and I want to go faster so I'm in a constant battle with myself. I love the idea of the challenge of an IM or even a HIM. When I do eventually suck it up and do a tri, I'd imagine a long distance one won't be too far behind (sorry tunney :P )
    I know that with the best will in the world Im never going to smash IM distance with a mega time. Finishing itself would be an achievement, three years ago I was a couch potato. Speed is never my gift, nor something I enjoy training for. Endurance is. Maybe thats where Im going wrong, and I should be making it hurt more and doing speed work. Perhaps all this talk of distance is because its simply where I get the most enjoyment, I like to get stuck in and do longer races, in preference to shorter, hard ones. Is that in fact laziness on my part, that Im afraid of hard work? :p

You might not break records but would an extra year of building work make you smash through the wall of what you think you're capable of? Most of us ordinary athlete are capable of much more than we think we are IMO.

I spent the best part of four years fearing speed work, only started doing speed work this year and I actually really enjoy it. I did not see that one coming. I even seriously contemplated doing a mile race, and get this, an 800m one. I know. Madness. :eek: Try the speed stuff, you might surprise yourself. I know a lot of the boys did it in their Ironman training.
    Serious respect to the members of their family who put up with it.

pfft...they're lucky to have you! :pac:

Sounds like you've already made up your mind anyway. Enjoy your Ironman next year. Already looking forward to the race report! :D

Izoard wrote: »
    I like your thinking:)
    As for events, Austria and Roth are probably the 2 friendliest in terms of course profile in Europe.

Was Roth a massive headache logistics wise?

• Advertisement

No, I really havent made up my mind. Sensible me knows to wait is better, but the nutty part of my brain that gets me through hard races is saying 'c'mon!' :) RQ, your attitude is what I need to hear, to balance that annoying part of my brain that just wants to tick the box. Its a lot of time and money to invest in something that might not work out well or gets me divorced. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I have no experience of triathlons, let alone the lunacy that is IM but since when has ignorance of the facts stopped an opinion on here :p

Racing is about progression but that progression needn't always be about distance. There is no "Runners Law" that says you start at 10k, go up to the half and then do a marathon. If there was then every second person would be doing 24hr events and 100 mile ultras as "the next step", which is clearly daft (and don't let the long distance loonies on here tell you different). Likewise you don't have to go Sprint / Oly / 70.3 / IM. You said that your bike is pants. Well doesn't it make more sense to work that kink out first and bring your HIM times down through experience and efficiency before you go repeating the same mistakes at double the distance? As I understand it a lot of the bike in endurance triathlon is technique and any flaws will be massively magnified as the distance doubles. Get good (or as good as you think you reasonably can), then get long would be my advice and that's in running or Tri.

That said I'm coming off a 9 month layoff simply because I couldn't get motivated by the targets I was setting myself. If you want to do an IM then do it. Because if you have ticked the HIM box on your list and your heart isn't in it then you simply won't be motivated to train. You're not doing it for the kudos and the glory you're doing it for you so if it's what you want, really want, then feck it, just enter it and work out the logistics later. How hard can it be?

Of course if you really can't decide then go the tried and tested route. Heads you do an Ironman, Tails you don't. Because the second you toss that coin you will know what side you want to land and that's the one you go with.

Good luck!

--amadeus-- the tossed coin made me laugh. Your mentoring got me through my first (and only) marathon to date. So I already know you talk lots of sense. And youve very clearly given both sides. I do realise that in one way going long is the easier route, working towards a higher placing is probably a better and harder ambition. And youre right about the bike. Its a big issue right now. Hmm. I'm going to take all the opinion I can get here and mull it over carefully. Then toss a coin, probably. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

If you want to do one then do one. Simples really. It's a hobby that we do for fun and I'd you think an IM is the fun you want in your life then do it.

As for the long hours required. Some of the blogs on here may have done the wannabe IMers a disservice. Some of the silly miles and hours done aren't required and in fact can be often counter productive. Train smart rather than long. Involve your spouse and put them first and you'll find you will have fun and won't get a divorce.

Austria is good. Frankfurt is good. I know Frankfurt will open again in Dec/Jan with a few hundred more slots.

Do what your heart tells you.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

I'm prob not qualified to give advice as I'm just training for my first tri, but I'm already plotting a course from tri -> olympic -> HIM -> IM over the next few years.

You say the sensible part of you is saying wait another year, I think the sensible part should be saying go for it.
    We dont have an infinite number of years ahead of us, you should make each one count. I remember missing out on my first marathon due to injury and having to wait till the year after, that could be you if you wait a year and you'll be kicking yourself for wasting the opportunity to complete one asap.
    Granted, I would be more of a "complete it for the achievement" type of guy and if you really are looking to get a good time on your first attempt then you may want to wait.

... go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Go for it IMO, if the bike is a limiter you have a year to work on it. Sure I signed up to an IM as my first tri :) although I have done a handful of tris since I signed up. Tunney is right you do not need to be putting in daft hours/mileage (I include myself in that category) it's about the quality of the work you put in. It's all about getting the balance right and it will take good time management but if you want it that badly I don't see a problem.
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

@RQ - yes Roth was a pain, but I've used Nirvana for both Roth and Zurich and they insulate you from most of the headaches...

Ive done 7 tris to date. :)

I may not be thanking every post, but I really do appreciate every piece of information here. Its all helpful. Next step before deciding is to look up a good training plan and see what I'm up against. As with all sport, it's not that the event is hard, it's the training that gets you to the start line that is difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Hard to get a sense of whether you *want* to do an IM or whether its just a box to tick on a list Oryx...

I'd say if its a goal you have, but haven't admitted to yet (or havent been able to justify the investment in), then get off your backside and sign up. Dont bother looking at what you're getting yourself into in *too* much detail, just see if you can comfortably fit in the first few weeks of a training plan and know you'll hit a few weeks with some higher time/miles required later in the training. You'll finish off pretty limited training (so beware of training plans online if you're doing a spot of research), so should be able to get the life-balance to work for you as long as you're not setting any specific time goals for raceday.

OTOH if an IM is something you're just willing to go through the motions of so you can tick a box, stick to stuff you've enjoyed already and continue to enjoy! The IM is going nowhere, and there were folks in their 70s doing Austria this year... so I (suspect) you have lots of time to do one when/if you hit the point that you really do want to give it a go!

Mwahaha on doing it when Im 70. Only 30 years to train then. :D

I want to do it for the same reason Ive done anything else. To see if I can. I began tri training disliking swimming, and being unable to do more than 10m at a time. Now I love being able to do it. I hope to crack the bike in the same way, but its been slower to come.

I want see if I can be that strong. I want to have taken all this as far (as long) as I can go. Kinda to prove something to myself. And also I love the buzz of big racedays. Of heading out early knowing you'll be out for hours.

What I dont want, and why Im posting here really, is to find myself burning out in the attempt. I want to enjoy this, from start to finish. Which is why for the first time in my training life, Im being sensible and not just signing up and going 'wahoo, it'll be grand...' I want to properly understand what Im taking on, and to do it right. While I want to tick the box, I dont want to just be an IM tourist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I've had similar thoughts myself but have chosen to do the middle distance races for a few years before building to long distance. The way i see if i want to clock a fairly good time in my first long distance and thus im going to wait and build slowly. If you want to do one and know you can put in decent hours (doesn't have to be massive really!) then why not. Reason im not is i dont fancy putting in hours i'd probably need to put in to go as fast as i'd like. Ive done 1 middle too (Austria this year) and loved the distance and feel i have much more to give there before im happy that i am finished with that distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

Well - did u or didn't u? Was it worthwhile? Are u still married? Injuries ? Would u recommend?

DK man wrote: »
    Well - did u or didn't u? Was it worthwhile? Are u still married? Injuries ? Would u recommend?

You'll find Oryx over in the triathlon forum now...however, she did and she did an awesome job...and she's still married. I can't answer the rest. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Buy a sports-car. Would be cheaper :)

This is a blast from the past. :)

Yes I did Austria IM in 2012. It was totally worth it. Even got to do a non wetsuit swim cos it was a bit warm that day.

Getting around an ironman is very doable, once you put the training in. Doing it fast is another thing altogether. :) It is possible to remain married while doing it but it takes a lot of time so you need an understanding family.

I didn't injure. The training seemed to suit me and I was in good shape till afterwards when I didn't take enough rest time and ended up worn out.

It wasn't just a box ticking exercise after all. I'm doing one again next year to try and get a decent time. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

This is a blast from the past. :)

Yes I did Austria IM in 2012. It was totally worth it. Even got to do a non wetsuit swim cos it was a bit warm that day.

Getting around an ironman is very doable, once you put the training in. Doing it fast is another thing altogether. :) It is possible to remain married while doing it but it takes a lot of time so you need an understanding family.

I didn't injure. The training seemed to suit me and I was in good shape till afterwards when I didn't take enough rest time and ended up worn out.

It wasn't just a box ticking exercise after all. I'm doing one again next year to try and get a decent time. :)

How did you work it around family life? Tri is something i am thinking off but i just cant see how I can fit it into my life.

Running isn't too bad as i train 5 days week with a run to work, a run in work and then 2 night sessions with club and early 630am sat run.

Problem is i have two kids under 3 and I dont want my weekends to be me sitting on couch wrecked, I love getting out with them in parks, pools, zoo etc.

How did you work it around family life? Tri is something i am thinking off but i just cant see how I can fit it into my life.

Running isn't too bad as i train 5 days week with a run to work, a run in work and then 2 night sessions with club and early 630am sat run.

Problem is i have two kids under 3 and I dont want my weekends to be me sitting on couch wrecked, I love getting out with them in parks, pools, zoo etc.
    I got up early, with some training starting at 5am. I also did about three double days per week, but a turbo helps to fit the bike sessions in.

I have to admit that in the peak period my Sundays were a washout. After cycling for 7-8 hours I was fit for nothing. I'm sure the kids felt it.

I got up early, with some training starting at 5am. I also did about three double days per week, but a turbo helps to fit the bike sessions in.

I have to admit that in the peak period my Sundays were a washout. After cycling for 7-8 hours I was fit for nothing. I'm sure the kids felt it.

Interesting to read back on the thread and your decision process....

+1 on the turbo. It is your best friend with a young family - did no outdoor cycling for IM ZA and survived*

* race and marriage...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Izoard wrote: »
    Interesting to read back on the thread and your decision process....

+1 on the turbo. It is your best friend with a young family - did no outdoor cycling for IM ZA and survived*

* race and marriage...

Does the turbo make much noise in the house, ie would it keep the kids awake?

Does the turbo make much noise in the house, ie would it keep the kids awake?

I was banished out to the kids playhouse, but technically still "at home".

I've a Trax and it is reasonably quiet indoors.
    Anyway, kids like white noise to sleep. Remember getting lifted out of it, when I unplugged the Hoover when our twins had just fallen asleep:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Snap on that, the weekends were so much harder for me this year with just the amount of time needed to train.

Add to that after a 30k run or the like all i want to do was sit on the couch but had to change into family mode and then do the normal family stuff.

I tried to train early but its hard if you've been working the night before.

I'm looking to more early morning turbos in the winter, i need to if 2014 is going to be a success.

Advertisement