Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toolkits and parts

Options
  • 29-07-2011 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭

Just started the A+ course and decided to build a pc along to get some hands on experience too. I'm not gonna build a high spec gaming pc or anything just a basic cheap as possible pc.

As a beginner I dont know what I need or where to get it so I thought I'd chance my arm and ask here in case I end up spending my entire budget (150-200) on a tool kit and then trying to build a pc out of a shoebox and lollipop sticks.

Tool kit: Is it ok to buy one of those $10 dollar ones off of e-bay or should I spend the extra and get a quality set with everything I need ? If the latter can anyone recommend one or a place to get it ?

Parts: As I said the pc isnt going to be high spec so I dont mind buying cheap second hand parts if available if anyone knows where to get such. If not then is it possible to buy everything I need for 150-200 ? Although it wont be high spec I'd like to leave open the option to upgrade it in future (if I am buying new parts) so I suppose I might a swell get some good quality parts.

I'm sure youve heard these questions a hundred times so I apologise for asking again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Toolkit for a PC? I'm confused. I usually only use the one screwdriver...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Skunkle wrote: »
    Tool kit: Is it ok to buy one of those $10 dollar ones off of e-bay or should I spend the extra and get a quality set with everything I need ? If the latter can anyone recommend one or a place to get it ?

as per syco: you need a philips head screw driver and not much else bar cable ties and maybe tweezers if you have difficulty mounting hat switches to retrieving dropped screws. A €10 toolkit is over kill :-)

Parts: As I said the pc isnt going to be high spec so I dont mind buying cheap second hand parts if available if anyone knows where to get such. If not then is it possible to buy everything I need for 150-200 ? Although it wont be high spec I'd like to leave open the option to upgrade it in future (if I am buying new parts) so I suppose I might a swell get some good quality parts.

Good luck with a budget of €200 unless you are buying/have good second hand parts in good supply.....

A good basic case is around €50, ditto at least €50 for a good power supply which won't go on fire/kill your parts....

I would try get a load of old parts/take part an old pc and rebuilt it from scratch if you need experience.

If you want to build you need at least €300 for low spec box. Do you have any spare parts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Ok lets forget the tool kit, thought all those anti static straps and the odd lookin tools were a must have. Screwdriver it is.

As for parts, I have an old pc and some old parts so I suppose I could take that apart and rebuild it but I think I'd prefer to build from scratch. So I'd push the budget to 300 to be honest. Lets forget about the old stuff and we'll splash out on the new.

300 Euro and a philips head screwdriver. Check

Just out of interest what would it cost to build a high spec pc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

the_syco wrote: »
    ... I usually only use the one screwdriver...
    uberpixie wrote: »
    ... you need a philips head screw driver...
    ... Screwdriver it is.

Haven't you guys heard of thumbscrews?! Neanderthals!:eek:

Hang on you telling me I dont even need the screwdriver ? This is gettin easier by the minute ! Next guy along will probably tell me he's using self turning screws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

So I'd push the budget to 300 to be honest. Lets forget about the old stuff and we'll splash out on the new.

Do you need to include windows in that budget?

Potentially €∞

But optimum price usually floats around €800-1200

Monotype wrote: »
    Do you need to include windows in that budget?

Not really, I can work with linux and get windows down the line to dual boot or something.

Here's one build. OK, slightly over budget, but if necessary, a few extra euro could be shaved down.
    This system is quite upgradable. The board is compatible with the unreleased AMD processors with plenty of nice features.

Total build cost: €292.46 + €30 shipping
    ASRock 880G Pro3, Sockel AM3+, ATX|€78.53
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€41.25
    Xigmatek Asgard III Midi Tower - black, ohne Netzteil|€32.63
    LiteOn iHAS124-19 schwarz SATA|€18.47
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB, SATA II (HD502HJ)|€33.59
    4GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800U CL9|€27.22
    AMD Athlon II X3 450 "Boxed" 95W, Sockel AM3|€60.77

Hmmm interesting. *scratches chin*. Very interesting indeed. I am gonna have to get a monitor too. So I'm not sure whether to increase the budget or to try shave off as much as possible to add it. If I start messing with the budget I'll never stop and end up with a 900 quid machine or something.

So do I shave off a few quid to get a monitor, or do I push the boat out again and go the whole hog with a monitor, windows and graphics card ? Hmmmm. Hard to know. If I was to throw caution to the wind and go at it proper would 500 make much of a difference seeing as I'll need a monitor and windows ? Or would the parts be pretty much the same ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

i use one of these kits for work and bought one for myself
    http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/05_CNSMBLS/02_TOOLS/productdetails/15338300/Electronic_Precision_Tool_Kit_(10_Piece)/19_06_2029/default.aspx
    it's handy as it has small phillips head screwdrivers which i use for laptops, and a magnifying glass for seeing small part numbers
    i also use a torx set if i am working on a Mac
    it's amazing the things you will use while fixing pc's from paper clips to suction cups

• Advertisement

You could get monitor + windows for €200.

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit (SB-Version)|€73.47
    Acer S222HQLAbid Ultraslim LED|€131.58
    Iiyama ProLite E2208HDD-B1|€121.37

The board I picked has integrated graphics. You cut maybe €20 off this to get a board without graphics and get a dedicated card but you won't be any better off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Leman

You use thumbscrews to mount motherboards? :eek:

... push the boat out again and go the whole hog with a monitor, windows and graphics card ?

What exactly do you plan on doing with the PC? You might be able to get a Windows licence from your course, hold out on buying one for the moment.

... if I'm gonna do a custom build I want it to be a decent machine with plenty of power and storage.

For what?!

What exactly do you plan on doing with the PC? You might be able to get a Windows licence from your course, hold out on buying one for the moment.

Just using it for music, internet and usual stuff. I wont be playing games or doing anything mad on it. I dont mind sticking to linux but the course itself requires windows and I dont have it on my laptop. I did but the dual boot went all crazy and I ended up re-installing ubuntu over it.

For what?!

For no particular reason really other than it being decent. I know its kinda pointless if I'm not taking advantage of it or using it for what its capable of but I'm finding it hard to fork out the 3-400 for an average machine when an extra few quid can make it decent.

... the course itself requires windows and I dont have it on my laptop.

Surely there is a case there for them providing you with a licence. Or you may qualify for software for students.

Surely there is a case there for them providing you with a licence. Or you may qualify for software for students.

I'll send a few e-mails and ask a few questions and see but I wouldnt be too confident.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

If you're going that way, then get an i5-2400. It completely dominates the X3 for not much more. The price is easily made up by getting a cheaper case.

Total build cost: €576.65 + €30 shipping
    Xigmatek Asgard, ATX, ohne Netzteil, schwarz €31.61
    8GB-Kit G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-10667U CL9 €43.73
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W €41.25
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II (HD103SJ) €45.14
    Intel Core i5-2400 Box, LGA1155 €152.14
    Samsung SyncMaster BX2235 LED €119.33
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit (SB-Version) €73.47
    MSI H61M-E33 (B3), Intel H61, mATX, DDR3 €52.98
    Samsung SH-222AB bare schwarz SATA €17.00

• Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

do you not need a graphics card?

Skerries wrote: »
    do you not need a graphics card?

I wont be gaming or anything so I dunno. Someone said that whether its integrated or card is wont make much difference. I suppose I'd like something decent if I could afford it. But dont think it will fit in with current budget and I'm not going any higher.

What would ya do yourself with 600 ? or 400 after monitor and windows is taken care of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Unless they've changed things in the last couple of years, he should be able to get a student/developer kit for low price or even free.

Microsoft will have all the details.

gbee wrote: »
    Unless they've changed things in the last couple of years, he should be able to get a student/developer kit for low price or even free.

Microsoft will have all the details.

I'm not sure I'll have much luck with that, I'm just doing a FAS course. From what I've seen you need to be registered to certain colleges to get those student prices. I e-mailed the course tutor anyway to see if theres a way of getting it through them but I aint holding my breath.

€8,000

True, I just plucked that figure out of thin air, but that doesn't mean I would be unable to spend that amount with ease :pac: Heck, if I was going to use more than one CPU, and go multi-screen, I could push the cost to €25,000 or so :P

the_syco wrote: »
    €8,000

True, I just plucked that figure out of thin air, but that doesn't mean I would be unable to spend that amount with ease :pac: Heck, if I was going to use more than one CPU, and go multi-screen, I could push the cost to €25,000 or so :P

So you can use a screwdriver and possibly spend 25k on a pc. Fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Leman

So you can use a screwdriver and possibly spend 25k on a pc. Fantastic.

He is being a bit of a joker there.

You know the old saying, the last 5% takes 95% of the effort? Well it applies to computers more than ever.

A €25,000 PC will generally be only 5 to 10% better than a €2,500 pc.

You can easily build a monster on €1,500.

I e-mailed the course tutor anyway to see if theres a way of getting it through them but I aint holding my breath.
    IMO, if the course insists that you've to work with Windows, then they should at the very least arrange discounted licences through MS.

• Advertisement

Leman wrote: »
    You know the old saying, the last 5% takes 95% of the effort? Well it applies to computers more than ever.

A €25,000 PC will generally be only 5 to 10% better than a €2,500 pc.

You can easily build a monster on €1,500.
    (mobo) EVGA Classified SR-2- w/ECP, 1366, eATX €526
    (CPU) Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition , LGA1366 €876 * 2 = €1752
    (RAM) 24GB-Kit Corsair XMS3 Dominator PC3-12800U CL9 €275 * 2 = €550
    (GFX card) TGT/Point of View GeForce GTX 590 Ultra Charged 3072MB DDR5 €685 * 4 = €2740
    (PSU) Enermax Revolution85+ 1250W €272
    (CASE) Lian Li PC-V2120X Big-Tower - all black, ohne Netzteil €413

Total : €6253

And that's before I decide on the monitors... :pac:

Advertisement