Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭lmao

Great selection of videos from Noel's recent live gigs here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Melwen2626

Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Live4Ever wrote: »
    well.....

"hiiiiigh tiiide summer in the city, the kids are looking pretty, but itsn't it a pity that the sunshiiiiiiinnneeee-ah"

:D
    haha yeah the same lyrics that Liam likes are there but singing a song in that vibe with trumpets no chance he wouldn't have the flexibility
    I think Noel said something more like, "I still have friends in that band; it was alright." !!!
    did he not also say that he hadn't listened to the album apart from the singles but knew most of the songs anyway from Oasis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Dotsey wrote: »
    did he not also say that he hadn't listened to the album apart from the singles but knew most of the songs anyway from Oasis

Not sure about the listening to none of Beady Eye's album apart from the singles but I thought he said The Roller was demoed as an Oasis song and he always thought it would be a big hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

I'm pretty certain he never said that it was actually good though!!

karaokeman wrote: »
    Not sure about the listening to none of Beady Eye's album apart from the singles but I thought he said The Roller was demoed as an Oasis song and he always thought it would be a big hit.
    I know that The Roller has been around since the Heathen Chemistry era as Noel mentioned it in an interview way back then and said it had an Instant Karma vibe which proved true, I'm suprised it missed out on three Oasis albums as it's possibly Gem's best song

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Theres no way Liam's voice would suit anything on Noel's record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Really, I'm just fantasising here but I would go mad if Noel played a nice stripped down acoustic version of Fade Away at the Belfast/Dublin gigs. Man, it's not fair I haven't heard it live and others have!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

This sums up perfectly where Noel/<or his fans> wants to bring his music.
    This is not the oasis we ll started listening to as teenagers.
    When did you want fade away to sound like something off a kids tv show?
    I will admit my tastes have changed since 94 , but come on . If Oasis had of never done fade away before and some new chap came up with this version would you buy the single.

While we re living the music we listened to s children fade away

cloptrop wrote: »
    This sums up perfectly where Noel/<or his fans> wants to bring his music.
    This is not the oasis we ll started listening to as teenagers.
    When did you want fade away to sound like something off a kids tv show

Are you serious? You reckon that version of Fade Away sounds like something off a kids TV show? Maybe I'm just a purist but I would consider myself a collector of acoustic Oasis songs sung by Noel or Liam. Nothing better than hearing the man and his guitar IMO.
    I will admit my tastes have changed since 94 , but come on . If Oasis had of never done fade away before and some new chap came up with this version would you buy the single.

I honestly don't care for your hypotheticals man, Noel did some nice stripped down versions of Supersonic and Wonderwall during his recent gigs and they were fine. Even if he did a semi-acoustic version of Fade Away a la the Stop The Clocks tour I would be happy

Do you reckon this sounds like something from a kids TV show?

Plenty more examples from BHN if you like. A lot of them sound better than the album versions.

• Advertisement

Im not knocking the music man , what your into your into , and Im sure alot of people here like it.
    Im just kind pissed about Noels direction , I did like the odd Noel type balady song on an album . But a hole album of them let me down.
    Theres not one song on the new album youd call rock . Well not in the old sense anyway seems nowadays just cause you have a guitar means your music is rock n roll .
    Jaysus Noel give us a guitar solo will ye?Some drums ,something . Even a good bass line.

Im not knocking the music man , what your into your into , and Im sure alot of people here like it.
    Im just kind pissed about Noels direction , I did like the odd Noel type balady song on an album . But a hole album of them let me down.
    Theres not one song on the new album youd call rock . Well not in the old sense anyway seems nowadays just cause you have a guitar means your music is rock n roll .
    Jaysus Noel give us a guitar solo will ye?Some drums ,something . Even a good bass line.
    there's a guitar solo in Record Machine, The Wrong Beach, Stop the Clocks, A Simple Game of Genius and the live version of Dream On has one so has the unreleased Freaky Teeth any more solos and you might aswell listen to Guns N'Roses

'We were brought up under Thatcher,’ Noel Gallagher is saying.
    ‘There was a work ethic – if you were unemployed, the obsession was to find work.

'Now, these kids brought up under the Labour Party and whatever this Coalition thing is, it’s like, “Forget that, I’m not interested. I wanna be on TV.” It was a different mindset back then.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-2094856/Noel-Gallagher-It-better-Margaret-Thatcher.html#ixzz1lVm0zLl8

Apologies man, I posted before I seen your edit. I agree that the album isn't a huge departure from his previous work but at the same time I wouldn't consider Stranded On The Wrong Beach, Soldier Boys And Jesus Freaks and Freaky Teeth to be ballady. Noel has said before that he doesn't like straying out of his comfort zone the way bands like Radiohead do. Also I remember him saying that he preferred to write the heavier songs for Liam and keep the lighter ones for himself.

That being said it looks like the next album will out of this world. If you're looking for a change of direction then the next album should keep you happy.

Dotsey wrote: »
    there's a guitar solo in Record Machine, The Wrong Beach, Stop the Clocks, A Simple Game of Genius and the live version of Dream On has one so has the unreleased Freaky Teeth any more solos and you might aswell listen to Guns N'Roses
    Record mchine has a guitar solo in it. Hardly an epic one.
    All other solos seem to be performed with trumpets or some form of wind instruments.
    Im not knocking him for this , its the direction he wants to go in, I just miss the things that made oasis magic, like the drum solo in Dont look back in anger, the guitar in Live forever.
    I know hes not Oasis and hes doing his own thing now, but I wont blindly support him into easy listening music when beady eye are still making stomping music.
    I think all publicity aside I think this is the real reason oasis split . Noel wanted to do one thing they wanted the other. Noal tried to pull rank with his Im the boss stance and they called his bluff when he threatened to walk for the god knows how many time. And if this was gonna be the next oasis album Im glad they split up because the beady eye side of oasis would have never been recorded .
    Next Noel album will be lounge music
    Next Liam album will be Definatly maybe

Good God, what a load of old rubbish! Definitely Maybe will never be matched lyrically (and it wasn't even a strong album lyrically, in the grander scheme of things). Different Gear couldn't hold a candle to the first two Oasis albums, and it was the inferior album of the two siblings' post Oasis releases.

Good God, what a load of old rubbish! Definitely Maybe will never be matched lyrically (and it wasn't even a strong album lyrically, in the grander scheme of things). Different Gear couldn't hold a candle to the first two Oasis albums, and it was the inferior album of the two siblings' post Oasis releases.

Im talking about the one after different gear , beadys next album ,
    different gear was just a warm up . And Im not really bothered about lyrics, neither is anyone really ,<<< I wanna live in a dream in my record machine>>>>
    Different gear did have some good lyrics in it though , but if I was only into lyrics Id listen to poetry , or Bob Dylan before Id go asking Noel for some.

Im talking about the one after different gear , beadys next album ,
    different gear was just a warm up . And Im not really bothered about lyrics, neither is anyone really ,<<< I wanna live in a dream in my record machine>>>>
    Different gear did have some good lyrics in it though , but if I was only into lyrics Id listen to poetry , or Bob Dylan before Id go asking Noel for some.

:rolleyes:

I don't think you actually read what I wrote. Either way, Liam has never been able to write songs as well as Noel, either musically or lyrically.

I don't think you actually read what I wrote. Either way, Liam has never been able to write songs as well as Noel, either musically or lyrically.

He did up until now. Maybe noel wrote the songs then they arranged them into a rockier version. probably why he performs all his songs stripped down. I think he was the better musically over the years but now he is interested in doing soggy music. He will be the best around at it , but Im not gonna buy it. I await beady eyes next album. i think Noel is releasing a dance one next called androgynous something.
    He could suprise me though

Temaz wrote: »
    'We were brought up under Thatcher,’ Noel Gallagher is saying.
    ‘There was a work ethic – if you were unemployed, the obsession was to find work.

'Now, these kids brought up under the Labour Party and whatever this Coalition thing is, it’s like, “Forget that, I’m not interested. I wanna be on TV.” It was a different mindset back then.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-2094856/Noel-Gallagher-It-better-Margaret-Thatcher.html#ixzz1lVm0zLl8
    below is Noels response to the said quote..

"Normally I would wait until something happened before I mithered you but someone has just made me aware of a headline they came across on this here internet. Now 99 times out of 100 I wouldn't bother with such nonsense but I feel outraged, so for the record...

There is a headline that implies that I am of the opinion that the years spent under the rule of that soon to be dead granny, Maggie Thatcher, was good for the soul. I've read the story and I must say it's very misleading; any great working class art, fashion, youth culture etc came to be IN SPITE of that woman and her warped right wing views and NOT BECAUSE of them. Also for the record, on the day that she dies we will party like it's 1989. Just so you know."
    Record mchine has a guitar solo in it. Hardly an epic one.
    All other solos seem to be performed with trumpets or some form of wind instruments.
    Im not knocking him for this , its the direction he wants to go in, I just miss the things that made oasis magic, like the drum solo in Dont look back in anger, the guitar in Live forever.
    I know hes not Oasis and hes doing his own thing now, but I wont blindly support him into easy listening music when beady eye are still making stomping music.
    I think all publicity aside I think this is the real reason oasis split . Noel wanted to do one thing they wanted the other. Noel tried to pull rank with his Im the boss stance and they called his bluff when he threatened to walk for the god knows how many time. And if this was gonna be the next oasis album Im glad they split up because the beady eye side of oasis would have never been recorded .
    how many times could you realistically put the drum solo off Dont Look Back in Anger or The Shock of the Lightning into a song though?
    I don't think they called Noel's bluff at all, Noel is the one embarking into an arena tour whereas Beady Eye haveb't made the step up and are in a lot of ways already half forgotten about.

Their next album will be interesting though, don't get me wrong I'm a fan of their music but for me it's nowhere near the class of what Noel is doing and they know it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Live4Ever

Jesus!!! Hold yer horses......

..... what about 'Little James'???!!
    :):rolleyes:

Assuming everyone here got the collectors edition from NME and UNCUT yeah?

But of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Can'tseeme

Yep, plan to read it over the next few days.

Can'tseeme wrote: »
    Yep, plan to read it over the next few days.

You'll love it, I got my copy too.

So many interviews and one liners from years ago, it just takes you back.

Live4Ever wrote: »
    Jesus!!! Hold yer horses......

..... what about 'Little James'???!!
    :):rolleyes:

Damn! Ok, other than Little James, Noel > Liam. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Live4Ever

Damn! Ok, other than Little James, Noel > Liam. :)

Well... have you took 'Pass Me Down the Wine' into consideration before making that judgement?!

Noel's never wrote a song that good!!:D;)

All joking aside though, there's no comparison between the two for lyrics, although I was impressed with The Morning Son.

Manchester setlist
    It’s Good) To Be Free
    Mucky Fingers
    Everybody’s On The Run
    Dream On
    If I Had A Gun
    The Good Rebel
    The Death Of You And Me
    Freaky Teeth
    Whatever
    Supersonic
    (I Wanna Live In A Dream In My) Record Machine
    AKA... What A Life!
    Talk Tonight
    AKA... Broken Arrow
    Half The World Away
    Solder Boys And Jesus Freaks
    (Stranded On) The Wrong Beach
    Little By Little
    The Importance Of Being Idle
    Don’t Look Back In Anger

Manchester setlist

Soooooo glad, (I Wanna Live In A Dream In My) Record Machine, (Its Good) To Be Free, Everybody's On The Run and Little By Little are still there:D.

• Advertisement

Manchester setlist

Slightly disappointed, no changes since the last tour at all. Still, will know the words to Freaky Teeth this time!

Advertisement