Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

flyswatter wrote: »
    Can't blame them for getting rid of him and getting Alan White in, a much better drummer and the best Oasis ever had.
    I agree that Alan White is much better than McCarroll but personally for me Zak Starkey is the best drummer Oasis ever had, his drumming on that the last two Oasis albums was top notch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Dotsey wrote: »
    I agree that Alan White is much better than McCarroll but personally for me Zak Starkey is the best drummer Oasis ever had, his drumming on that the last two Oasis albums was top notch

Best Oasis drummer IMO was Steve White when he filled in for Alan during the Tour of Brotherly Love in 2001. Listen to Fade Away and Gas Panic, he set them songs on fire!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Best Oasis drummer IMO was Steve White when he filled in for Alan during the Tour of Brotherly Love in 2001. Listen to Fade Away and Gas Panic, he set them songs on fire!

I'd go for Steve as well, love the bootlegs from that tour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Temaz wrote: »
    I'd go for Steve as well, love the bootlegs from that tour.

Never knew he played for them. Steve is probably the more famous of the two brothers. I have witnessed the talent of Steve up close before. He was one of two drummers at a drum clinic that took place nearby to me. Was great to see such a big name drummer come to the local town!

He is a great player, a few drum solos were had!

Pretty funny guy too, remember one he told about going through three phases in his life: Boy, Man and now pre-op transexual. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Live4Ever

That's providing what Tony says is true and isn't embelishing certain things about Noel

From reading the book I can't see why he would lie. It all seems genuine. Read it! :)
    nm wrote: »
    Apparently he's playing the Carlsberg village in Gdansk during the Euro's

Are you serious?? That would be cool, I'm actually booked in there for the Italy game!

If you haven't read the book, then read it. It's decent.
    Noel treated Tony so badly. We all know Tony wasn't the best drummer and he even admits to it in his book. But what Noel did to him was seriously bad form. He got the band manager to ring him to tell him he was sacked after months of endless abuse. Bad form. After reading it Noel went down a lot in my opinion. I only regard him as a 'legend' for his songs, other than that he is an absolute cnut. The definition of letting it all go to your head and forgetting who you are and where you came from. Although, I imagine the coke had a lot to do with it.

After reading the book you wonder why it is generally always Liam who gets the bad press. He comes across as a solid loveable guy in the book who was upset with how Tony got treated. Bonehead is an absolute legend, however Guigsy is also a cnut. He sided with Noel a lot of the time. If truth be told Tony was a better drummer than Guigsy was a bassist.

It's a good insight into the early days of Oasis and what they were like when they were kids. In fairness, and Noel has said it himself, Definetly Maybe wouldn't have been as good without Tony!!

• Advertisement

Also, another point which I found interesting was that Liam really looked up to Noel. Tony says that he often felt Liam was looking for a bit of recognition from Noel, something along the lines of "I couldn't have done it without you."

He says that Noel would never give him this and spent most of his time putting Liam down. As an older brother myself I think that was really bad on Noels part and a lot of their fighting can be put down to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Fago123

It's an interesting read but I think we should take what's said about Noel with a pinch of salt.

The book is written from Tony's point of view and Noel did sack him before they hit the height of their popularity, he's hardly going to make the guy out to be a top bloke.

Noel is ruthless and rightly so,no doubt there was a clash of personalities but Noel has also said that Tony
    was not up to the job of drumming on the WTSMG tracks and, if that's true Noel was right to let him go.

The evolution of the band was what Noel was more worried about imo.

Noel is ruthless and rightly so,no doubt there was a clash of personalities but Noel has also said that Tony
    was not up to the job of drumming on the WTSMG tracks and, if that's true Noel was right to let him go.

The evolution of the band was what Noel was more worried about imo.

Don't get me wrong. Tony wasn't the best drummer, and I couldn't see him staying with Oasis tbh.

However, did he merit such abuse from Noel? No.

Did he deserve to have NG and Guigs conspiring behind his back? No.

Noel could have handled it better. He could have sacked him in person and offered him some sort of compensation, instead of being a pr*ck about it. Tony was there from the very start and deserved fair treatment. I guess it's just rock and roll.....

Loving the acoustic 'Supersonic' on this tour!

• Advertisement

here's Let the Lord Shine a Light on Me which is a new addition to the setlist from São Paulo in Brazil last night, it was played as part of the encore in place of The Importance of Being Idle

A Simple Game of Genius recorded from the soundcheck in Buenos Aires, he soundchecked this a couple of times in America recently aswell so hopefully we might see another new addition to the setlist. Pity it's not as long as the version soundchecked in Asia at the back-end of the last Oasis tour think it was 17 odd mintues and a bit Neil Young-esque

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Would love to see some of these new additions going on the setlist for Croke Park next month, except there's probably only so much Noel will play being a support act, and the fact he can only play maybe 10 songs at most.

karaokeman wrote: »
    Would love to see some of these new additions going on the setlist for Croke Park next month, except there's probably only so much Noel will play being a support act, and the fact he can only play maybe 10 songs at most.
    his concert's usually last about 1h40mins but a support slot will be limited to around one hour, it's obvious the promoters only brought Noel on board for Croker is because RHCP weren't shifting enough tickets so he could get a wee bit longer as he's named on the billing now. Noel has a few festivals in Germany, Russia, Scando and one for the Irish football fans in Gdansk before Croker so we'll get an idea then of what he's likely to play. Below is the setlist he done at Coachella festival last month so I'd imagine it will be close to the bulk of that.
    (It's Good) To Be Free
    Mucky Fingers
    Everybody's on the Run
    Dream On
    If I Had a Gun...
    The Death of You and Me
    AKA... What a Life!
    Talk Tonight
    Half the World Away
    (Stranded On) The Wrong Beach
    Little by Little
    Don't Look Back in Anger

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Noel Gallagher and RHCP, at Croke Park, in a word " Epic " can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Looks like Noel will be taking a two-year break after this tour wraps up.

If this is the case, I reckon the new album will be pushed back a little further too, as he would need to go straight back on the road after to promote it.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/319748/Noel-Gallagher-s-big-break

karaokeman wrote: »
    Looks like Noel will be taking a two-year break after this tour wraps up.

If this is the case, I reckon the new album will be pushed back a little further too, as he would need to go straight back on the road after to promote it.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/319748/Noel-Gallagher-s-big-break
    that article says he's back on speaking terms with Gem, that's the first I heard he wasn't. He played with Gem last February and has always said Gem was his mate and he was unhappy at losing him to Beady Eye so I would take this with a pinch of salt tbh

A Simple Game of Genius recorded from the soundcheck in Buenos Aires, he soundchecked this a couple of times in America recently aswell so hopefully we might see another new addition to the setlist. Pity it's not as long as the version soundchecked in Asia at the back-end of the last Oasis tour think it was 17 odd mintues and a bit Neil Young-esque

Sound quality isn't great, I prefer the Asia version but hopefully it points to a live performance in the near future!

DVD to be released!!
    During the interview he spoke about Manchester City's Premiership title win and confirmed that an official DVD will be released later this year.

http://stopcryingyourheartoutnews.blogspot.com/2012/05/noel-gallaghers-high-flying-birds-to.html

Sound quality isn't great, I prefer the Asia version but hopefully it points to a live performance in the near future!
    and here is the live version from earlier today in Seoul

• Advertisement

and here is the live version from earlier today in Seoul

Love it, should have been on the album!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RedmanDublin

Bit of luck it will be an Irish gig for a change. The Olympia would be epic if chosen

buyer95 wrote: »
    Love it, should have been on the album!:D
    It was on the Japanese version ;)

It's a quality track but I prefered the earlier version that clocked in at 17 mins it had a Neil Young-esque and Champagne Supernova feel to it

It was on the Japanese version ;)

How many times have I heard that said in relation to Oasis albums! :D
    It's a quality track but I prefered the earlier version that clocked in at 17 mins it had a Neil Young-esque and Champagne Supernova feel to it

I actually prefer that soundcheck version as well, sound quality is better and there's some nice jamming towards the end. I could have it on repeat all day/

Quality tune, glad he played it live, quite a trippy song.

This is hilarious!:D

So. What next for Noel after the tour comes to an end? Two years at home with the wife and kids is what he doing but no doubt he'll be writing and recording at his own leisure.

What I'd like would be a new album, I'm not so bothered about the Amorphous album, I just want some brand new classic Noel tunes, some rockers, some wistful and something trippy ala A Simple Game Of Genius.

For the live shows I can only hope for a more varied setlist, it would be cool for him to dip into his back catalogue and surprise us with 'Underneath The Sky' 'Full On' etc etc

I know he played 'D'yer wanna be a spaceman' and I have it on my ipod and listen to it quite a lot I just wish he'd mix up the setlist's and give the fans at various gigs something special!!

That's just my two cents!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

So. What next for Noel after the tour comes to an end? Two years at home with the wife and kids is what he doing but no doubt he'll be writing and recording at his own leisure.

What I'd like would be a new album, I'm not so bothered about the Amorphous album, I just want some brand new classic Noel tunes, some rockers, some wistful and something trippy ala A Simple Game Of Genius.

For the live shows I can only hope for a more varied setlist, it would be cool for him to dip into his back catalogue and surprise us with 'Underneath The Sky' 'Full On' etc etc

I know he played 'D'yer wanna be a spaceman' and I have it on my ipod and listen to it quite a lot I just wish he'd mix up the setlist's and give the fans at various gigs something special!!

That's just my two cents!!

agree , full on is an absolute belter of a song , would love to hear it live !!

A lot of b-sides from that SOTSOG and HC era have aged a lot better than the actual albums, Full On, Let All Make Believe, One Way Road, Shout it Out Loud, Carry Us All, Just Getting Older, Idlers Dream.

• Advertisement

A lot of b-sides from that SOTSOG and HC era have aged a lot better than the actual albums, Full On, Let All Make Believe, One Way Road, Shout it Out Loud, Carry Us All, Just Getting Older, Idlers Dream.

Would be great to hear them rather than the same setlist over and over!!

Advertisement