Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds

Options
1192021222325»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Having a listen now. Its a pleasant, easy listen. As ^ said, definitely a Noel Gallagher album. First track Riverman is pretty cool, nice use of atmospherics, he's definitely been listening to a lot of Floyd I reckon!

It sounds like he's doing this one more for himself than anyone else, at least, he's less bothered by the ghost of another Mancunian lad looking over his shoulder going "what the fook is that?". Hence, the saxophones, bells, groovier stuff. That's not to say that Liam didn't have his fair share of moments, as the BE album proved. That was a failure, mostly due to his singing, but it had some interesting sounds, way more progressive than anything Noel has done so far.

Anyway, back to the album: Heat Of The Moment is typical NGHFB fare I reckon; could've fitted on to the first album. I was a little disappointed when I heard it first but it slots in as track two quite nicely.

Girl With The X-Ray Eyes is interesting as well, unusual chords for him (there's a lot of that on this album I've noticed). Good that he's not sticking to the usual G / F / C type chord progressions (though the start is a bit like Stairway To Heaven!). Sounds a bit more modern as well. Vocals are good, that was sometimes his sticking point; especially on the later Oasis albums. But he's come into his own as a singer. Nice solo. Again, different, newer approach for him.

Lock All The Doors I'm expecting to recognise, if it is part My Sister Lover and Setting Sun. It has an early Oasis feel alright, though its a bit "cleaner". It seems to drag back while it should push forward. Good chorus, good to have at least one rocker anyway. Can't hear the references to the other songs though!

Dying Of The Light is OK, back to the well-used chord sequences again. Another slow-mid paced typical Noel song. Goes on a bit. Only one I'd probably skip so far.

The Right Stuff is pretty cool and makes up for the last track. Chords are nothing to write home about (same as Gas Panic more or less). But the groove is very nice, good use of brass and saxophone (in his interviews, Noel seems to think that no one has played a saxophone in years, but he's just been listening to the wrong kind of music). Surprising to hear him duet with a female singer, but that's what here. Has kind of 90s feel, and is most stylistically different song he's done. My favourite so far.

Where the Song Remains the Same is nice enough, you've sort of settled into the album by this stage but it isn't anything amazing. Nice drumming and groove.

the Mexican is kind of funny, sort of like "All Right Now" mixed with "Sunshine Of Your Love". I like it cos it's different, though it isn't particularly interesting by itself. Doesn't change much over the course of the track, just the riff and a few effects around it.

At this point it might be worth mentioning the lyrics, which I have paid absolutely no attention to - I haven't even noticed what he's been singing about. I don't think I'm missing much to be honest, they are mostly lyrics that say nothing but sound alright. Pity he can't write something as stirring and emotional as "Rockin' Chair" or even "Don't Go Away". Would be good to see him put his heart on his sleeve for once.

You Know We Can't Go Back has a fairly Oasis-y chorus, another fast track. Its pretty standard stuff again.

Ballad Of The Mighty I we all know, I still think he's just retreading the "What A Life" sound, but this is a pretty good version of it, even though the melody reminds me of Bus Stop by the Hollies. Nice sound overall though, and the use of strings is pretty good too, he should've done more of it.

As for the bonus tracks, the aforementioned Leave My Guitar Alone is pretty nice, with its Hey Jude-referencing piano part.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

He's on the Saturday Night show tomorrow for a chat and to sing a couple of songs. Dilemma for Noel fans who hate Brendan O'Connor.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

You forgot Riverman! best track on the album imo.

MadYaker wrote: »
    You forgot Riverman! best track on the album imo.

Nope, its in my first paragraph.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

Dying Of The Light acoustic on 2FM this morning

Following Noel Gallagher's appearance on The Nicky Byrne Show with Jenny Greene on RTÉ 2fm on Monday, 2fm's European exclusive of his performance of The Dying of the Light has been uploaded - watch it here.

http://www.rte.ie/ten/news/2015/0302/683896-noel-gallagher/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 barby4

I like your music ! We have to go to the music show. That's so nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

who's going tomorrow? Can't wait. 1st time to see him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Great gig in Belfast. Some treats in store for the Oasis fans including a B-Side from the Heathen Chemistry era! Some nice re-workings of old album tracks as well. Good mix of Oasis and HFB songs, fans won't be disappointed.

A Heathen Chemistry b-side! *shudder* What was it, "You've Got The Heart Of A Star" or something? There weren't many HC b-sides that I can remember... They weren't that impressive tbh.

So is Dublin totally sold out?

A Heathen Chemistry b-side! *shudder* What was it, "You've Got The Heart Of A Star" or something? There weren't many HC b-sides that I can remember... They weren't that impressive tbh.

I won't spoil the set list for people here, it's available on setlist.fm if you want to search for it there. The song in question is a good tune though and it's good to see Noel looking after the 'connoisseurs' as he he put it last night!

I can imagine that some people would be a bit disappointed that there wasn't any more Oasis hits but I'm not complaining, the reunion tour will sort that out!

• Advertisement

I won't spoil the set list for people here, it's available on setlist.fm if you want to search for it there. The song in question is a good tune though and it's good to see Noel looking after the 'connoisseurs' as he he put it last night!

I can imagine that some people would be a bit disappointed that there wasn't any more Oasis hits but I'm not complaining, the reunion tour will sort that out!

Not me, I wouldn't be bothered hearing Noel sing Oasis songs that Liam originally sung, or another bored retread of Don't Look Back In Anger - which I'm guessing he did anyway. I'd rather hear his new stuff.

Could get a way-in-the-back seating ticket for 60 quid, but... meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Not me, I wouldn't be bothered hearing Noel sing Oasis songs that Liam originally sung, or another bored retread of Don't Look Back In Anger - which I'm guessing he did anyway. I'd rather hear his new stuff.

Could get a way-in-the-back seating ticket for 60 quid, but... meh.

It was a Noel sung tune.

Saganist wrote: »
    It was a Noel sung tune.

Yeah I can pretty much guess which one it might be.

Did he do any other Oasis tunes, that he didn't sing originally? I've heard Its Good To Be Free bandied about.

Also, I thought it went sort of unreported that Oasis are going to be doing a delux version of Be Here Now - Noel confirmed it, and also that he had started to edit the tracks down but decided to leave them as they were.

Yeah I can pretty much guess which one it might be.

Did he do any other Oasis tunes, that he didn't sing originally? I've heard Its Good To Be Free bandied about.

Also, I thought it went sort of unreported that Oasis are going to be doing a delux version of Be Here Now - Noel confirmed it, and also that he had started to edit the tracks down but decided to leave them as they were.

Check the set list ;)

It's Good To Be Free has been dropped. He's starting the set with a song from the 1st solo album.

I had heard about the BHN re-release. I wouldn't bother with it though unless the album was heavily remastered, with all those endless layers of noise stripped away. It hasn't stood test the test of time for me but I still like to listen to some of the live performances of the tracks from time to time.

Check the set list ;)

It's Good To Be Free has been dropped. He's starting the set with a song from the 1st solo album.

I had heard about the BHN re-release. I wouldn't bother with it though unless the album was heavily remastered, with all those endless layers of noise stripped away. It hasn't stood test the test of time for me but I still like to listen to some of the live performances of the tracks from time to time.

For me, its the one I've listened to the most. It was great when it came out at the time, a great summer at a great time, so it has nostalgic power too. Not to get this into an Oasis discussion at all.

Saw the set list. Decided not to go as the only tickets are way up in the back. I'm not on for standing either so. Though the prospect of a live choir nearly had me convinced...:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

I'd have paid the entrance fee just to here Champagne Supernova acoustic alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Both gigs were really good, but the crowd in Dublin was much, much better. Belfast crowd was weirdly subdued.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

Great news that Noel is playing Cork in July!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The album is not great is it? I actually think his debut solo was better.

Derivative material, for instance whats he doing ripping off the Verve weeping willow in the rerecording of the dying of the light. I thought he got over the taking influences too far thing.

I wouldn't mind if he was writing a good song to go with the nicked riff like he did back in the day, but this stuff to me just has a feel of being distinctly average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

^ Completely agree. The first album was way way better.

I think some hysteria took over when people were raving about it. It's OK, nothing special. Won't go down in history as one of his best.

• Advertisement

I think they're of a pair. Like, one isn't vastly different from the other. I prefer the production on the second album, and the first had more songs that I didn't like, though there's probably a bit more filler on the second one.

I think the second one stands up for Lock All The Doors, Riverman, Right Stuff, and Ballad of The Might I. They stand apart from the rest of the album. The first one doesn't have any hugely stand-out stuff - What A Life was the only thing that was really "different" sounding.

The second one just shades it for me

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I think there isn't much to choose between them tbh. I refer the right stuff over anything that was on the first album, i think overall I refer the second one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

I like the new album. Songs like "Lock all the Doors" came across really well live. Will either album go down in the cannon of great albums? It's all subjective really!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭thesultan

Love the vibe of the Right Stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭DylanAFC

Noel is on Jools Holland tomorrow night.

Advertisement