Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Noel in this weeks NME talking about his album track by track:

EVERYBODY'S ON THE RUN
    "It was always going to be the opener on the album. It's the kind of track that people would end a record on, but I've got three of those songs in 'Everybody's On The Run', 'Stop The Clocks' and 'Record Machine'. So I was forced to split them up, and I thought this would be a great way to kick off, that's like putting your fu*king cards on the table and saying 'This is going to be a fu*king album'. The whole album has got the narrative of escape, hope and love, and it sets the album up as somebody saying 'I've gotta get out of this situation, or out of this town, or out of this city.' When I was doing the strings, I said to the girl who does my string arrangements: 'I want it to sound like Ennio Morricone, and all the string players had to be women,' and she thought I was a bit of a perv. I was like 'No, no, they play strings a lot sexier than men.' She said it doesn't make any difference, but I said, 'I need to fuc*king know it's women playing it' So we did the strings and choir the first night at Abbey Road, which was a bit of a moment."

DREAM ON
    "This particular track was written just at the end of the 'Dig Out Your Soul' sessions in 2008. It was the last week of mixing the album, and me and Gem did a little demo of this song. I think it might have been because Liam had fuc*ed off home and didn't tell anybody - we were in the studio like 'f*cking hell, what are we going to do?' It's a bit of a throwaway... It's nonsense, the words don't mean anything. But it's got a great 'She's Electric', 'Digsy's Dinner'-esque quality to it. Someone somewhere will go 'Everybody's on the Run' is alright, 'If I Had a Gun' that's good, but fu*king 'Dream On' what a tune."

IF I HAD A GUN...
    "It's been bumped as a single twice now! That was gonna be the first thing that anybody heard. I was thinking, 'People are just gonna go, 'It's great -but it sounds like Oasis." It was literally on the day we were gonna shoot the video, and we just went, fu*k it, let's change it.' Then I changed my mind again, when it was the second single, two days before it came out. It was one that came out on the internet from a soundcheck. But I only heard it a few years after, and I was quite impressed that I had pretty much nailed the arrangement. I didn't have the words fully formed, but I knew instantly, 'That's gonna be great when it's finished.' It's kind of up there as one of the big ones that I've done."

THE DEATH OF YOU AND ME
    "The only song I've ever written where I kept going back to it and chipping away at it, changing little bits. I came up with the melody and I'd tried it on different instruments: piano, guitar, organ, and it didn't work. So by a process of elimination we got to trumpets. I don't know any trumpet players, so I called Serge, and then Gary, who plays trumpets with Kasabian. Sent it to him, and said, 'I need three of you, and I want it to sound like New Orleans.' He went, 'Oh... right...' and then we all did it round one real old mic."

(I WANNA LIVE IN A DREAM IN MY) RECORD MACHINE
    "This was recorded for 'Don't Believe The Truth', but never got finished. Then it was recorded again for 'Dig Out Your Soul'. There's a couple of versions that have been around [the internet] for ages but I thought, 'If it doesn't come out now, it never will, and it's too good a fu*king song.' I guess it's got a classic Oasis feel to it, but if it was on an Oasis album I think people would've dismissed it, like, 'Oh they've done all that before.' It's funny how the perception of songs changes because the circumstances in which they're being released changes."

AKA... WHAT A LIFE!
    "After I made the demo, I was listening it back and thinking, 'Oh my God. This is disco music!' It was funny: when I played it to all the lads in the office they went, 'This is a bit weird'. But all the girls went, 'Fu*king amazing!' I played it to my missus and she was like, 'At fu*king last, something you can dance to,' so I was like, 'Right, I'm gonna fu*king run with this!"'

SOLDIER BOYS AND JESUS FREAKS
    "Very Kinks sounding; the opening line about the village green is a clue as to where it all came from. I was listening to that album a lot on the last Oasis tour. The title itself, people are gonna think, 'What the fu*king hell's this going to be about?' Each line is like the scene of a film, it's really visual. In my head, it reminds me of that scene in The Deer Hunter where the guy gets back from Vietnam, and the girl puts the record on the jukebox in the bar. The second half of the album, from here onwards, has got a separate feel. They're all darker sounding. It's night-time music. "

AKA... BROKEN ARROW
    "Broken Arrow is Neil Young's ranch. As this one went on, I thought, 'It sounds like The Smiths, I fu*king love it.' And of course it doesn't really sound like The Smiths - it only sounds like The Smiths to me. I tried to get Johnny Marr to play on it. I thought he would have put on a really incredible Johnny Marr guitar on it. But I called him, we exchanged messages for a week or two, and when he was in LA I wasn't, and when I was in LA he wasn't and it never quite happened. But I love it."

(STRANDED ON) THE WRONG BEACH
    "The album starts off with 'Everybody's on the Run' and a sense of having to leave where you are to go and find paradise, find out if the grass is greener on the other side. But you end up stranded on the wrong beach, where you end up in paradise thinking, This isn't really what I wanted. I should be where I fu*king come from. I should be where I belong.' It's where you're from is where you're at, really. Kind of saying the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Subconsciously I must've been thinking about all this. The brackets? I don't know why I put brackets in there, I'm prone to doing that!"

STOP THE CLOCKS
    "It will never live up to people's expectations of it [being written in Oasis]. But again, I thought, 'If I don't do it now, it's gonna be left in the corner, rotting away.' And it's too good to be left there. When I was doing it and the choir went on I thought, 'Yep I like it, it sounds definitive.' But it was only when we did the chaos at the end, with all the saxophones and the guitar solo that I thought, 'It's definitely worth putting on there now, for the last minute alone.' But I probably won't ever revisit it. It's kind of like a gift, clearing the decks for what comes next, the last postcard from the Oasis years."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Clips featuring Rusell Brand in the What A Life video

EDIT: Full video here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6m03FUYaTM&feature=player_embedded

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Can'tseeme

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Can'tseeme wrote: »

If that interview is anything to go by, Noel will be playing all the B-sides for his Oasis set at the solo gigs.

I guess that's fine because any band could make a whole career out of his B-sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

And only songs he sang on in Oasis, so no Slide Away, Listen up acoustic versions etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Live4Ever

Saganist wrote: »
    Love I'd pick you everytime. Not so sure on Alone on a Rope, Lord Shine a Light is quality too..

These are feckin' bsides we're talking about. The man's a genius... Roll on Oct 27th :D

IMO so far:

The Death of You and Me: class, deadly tune and very catchy, heard it in a shop today and got a serious buzz.

AKA What A Life: class, also deadly, love the build up, weirdly enough I heard this in a different shop today aswell and got a serious buzz! On a side note Live Forever was playing when I was getting a coffee at 8:30am - fantastic start to the day - the coffee was horrible though haha!

If I Had a Gun: class, the acoustic version is great as has been said here already.

Lord Shine a Light: good tune, really different from what I was expecting but I respect what he's done here. Good tune.

The Good Rebel: meh, it's ok at best.

Alone on a Rope: crap. Didnt like it one bit. I'll give it a chance cause it's Noel but I can't see myself getting into it.

Have to say I love the first 3 I've mentioned after that it's only ok. Never really liked Stop the Clocks (when Oasis did it).

Overall so far I'm not blown away, although it is early days tbf. For Beady Eye I was wayyy more buzzing for the gig at this stage. It's not that I'm not buzzing, but my excitement level has dropped slightly since I got my ticket and heard AOAR and TGR.

Even if the album turns out to be average the gig will be unreal because:

It's the return of Noel.
    It's his first ever solo gig.
    Hearing a few Oasis tunes by a Gallagher, live, since Slane (for me anyway).

I really hope he plays Boneheads Bank Holiday.... Well I need a little break to get away for a holiday........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

I cannot wait for the gig at this stage. Everything he's done so far has been mega and, even though arguably Liam would probably be a bit more of a showman, I think the opening night of Noel's world tour is going to be unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

aka what a life is up there as one of the worst videos ever. what is brand suppose to be a gay satan ?

great tune. **** video

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Live4Ever wrote: »
    Alone on a Rope: crap. Didnt like it one bit. I'll give it a chance cause it's Noel but I can't see myself getting into it.

I thought this too. Having listened to it a number of times now. I have to say it is absolutely BRILLIANT. Its so haunting its unreal... His voice is on top form... It's defo a grower..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

My opinion about the album and B-sides so far.

The Death of You and Me : Fantastic debut single. Still love playing this on my own guitar, the bridge and the build-up is the best part of it. The lyrics also, very well written and certainly some of the best he's penned since the classic SCYHO. Overall 8/10

If I Had A Gun : Probably the best song ever written by Noel. I know this sounds like I'm pushing it a bit but I really do think this is his masterpiece. Best guitar solo I've heard by anyone in a while, lyrics what can I say, wish I had of written them myself. Recommended track off the album 10/10

AKA... What A Life : Didn't like it at first but its a grower. Recommended for any dance music fans. While I can't say I initially didn't like this song, I don't blame Noel for writing it and wanting his album to have something for everyone. Would rate it 7/10

Stop The Clocks : Again one of the best songs ever written by Noel. Even the demo version stumps all that Beady Eye have released thus far. Fine solo at the end, lyrics could only have been penned by Noel himself, 9/10

The Good Rebel : The most meh of all Noel has released since the end of Oasis. Not a good song really, 4/10

Alone On The Rope : Uninteresting. Hardcore mediocre, certainly 3/10

Lord Shine A Light On Me : Decent song after a few listens. Still not the best unlike the first few I mentioned. Definitely would give it 6/10

Everything else is ok at best but will probably sound much better when we hear the finished versions. I Wanna Live In A Dream (In My Record Machine), Everybody's On The Run can't wait to hear the final product of either.

• Advertisement

Two good videos of Noel talking about all the tracks on the album..

Preview of every song on the album.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

Temaz wrote: »
    Preview of every song on the album.

and WHO picked the sections for that preview! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

It has leaked!!!!

Just waiting for a good quality rip. WOOHOO!!

WOW is all i will say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

Follow nghfbleak on Twitter, All the links are there. Downloading now!

WOOHOOO!!

EDIT; A wonderful album, You won't be dissapointed! Everybody On The Run,Stop the Clocks,Record Machine...all the songs are great.
    Well worth the wait! Album of the Year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

Having listened to the previews!!!... I cant understand why "Let The Lord Shine A Light On Me" didn't make it onto the album. Cracking tune, that would complement the rest of the songs extreamly well!!!!

Just downloading now. Will report back with an opinion in a bit :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

got it today and i am impressed i have to say. A good album probably an 8 out of 10 for me. being honest i kinda expected even better from such a talented musician but im happy enough. i was expecting maybe one or two proper rock n roll tunes but there is none. its a good album, few new anthems and nice to sit back and relax to

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Some of the songs, for example, If I had a gun, sound heavily compressed. I hope it is just the version I have. Also happen to think that the Soundcheck version of Everybody's on the Run is better - don't know why.

Nate

• Advertisement

9/10 for me!

Brilliant.

Everybodys on the Run is just a top f.ing tune... Love it... Welcome back Noel...

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Joe24

Was determined to avoid downloading it until release day. Don't know if i'll be able to hold out that long. Are the rips good quality? Don't want to hear a rubbish compressed version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

I'm the same, think i'l wait and buy it! Its tough though!

Joe24 wrote: »
    Was determined to avoid downloading it until release day. Don't know if i'll be able to hold out that long. Are the rips good quality? Don't want to hear a rubbish compressed version.

The one I have is good quality, 320kbps Mp3. By compression I meant the Mix of the songs, not the mp3 quality.

It isn't the worst mixing I've heard (Yeah Death Magnetic I'm looking at you!) but the contrast in clarity in the sound stage, between "If I Had a Gun" and the "Death of You and Me" is quite clear. As I said, I hope it is just the version I have.

Nate

Joe24 wrote: »
    Hold out and hear the proper release it will be worth it.. these may be 320 rips but they're not really 320 because the original file wasn't 320 as it was ripped from a webstream in Germany. I only listened to the tracks I heard already and the sound was only about 20%.
    Same thing happened with Kasabian a few weeks ago, there's no comparison between a lossless file and a lossy mp3 file like the ones we have here.. they're way too hollow almost like listening to a mono version

Dotsey wrote: »
    Hold out and hear the proper release it will be worth it.. these may be 320 rips but they're not really 320 because the original file wasn't 320 as it was ripped from a webstream in Germany. I only listened to the tracks I heard already and the sound was only about 20%.
    Same thing happened with Kasabian a few weeks ago, there's no comparison between a lossless file and a lossy mp3 file like the ones we have here.. they're way too hollow almost like listening to a mono version

Good to know.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Joe24

Ok, think i'm gonna wait now. Cheers for the feedback. Have avoided the demos/soundchecks on youtube so should be able to last a week. The website says pre-orders get a download link on 17th. Anyone know if that includes Ireland?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

What's four more days when you've waited fifteen years for something. Does anyone know what time "record" stores open at in the morning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Can'tseeme

I'm gonna hang in there and wait it out till Monday. There's certain artists/bands that I prefer to have the proper CD of the album. In fact I'm going for the Limited Edition version.

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/21825811/Noel-Gallagher-High-Flying-Birds/Product.html?searchtype=musicall&searchsource=0&searchstring=noel+gallager&urlrefer=search&strefer=musicall&searchfilters=s%7bnoel+gallager%7d%2bc%7b34%7d%2b#

Advertisement