Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

I gave in and listened twice but have deleted it and waiting for my vinyl and cd/dvd set to come in the post!

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Can'tseeme

BBC Review

He knows what he likes, and has turned his influences into an enjoyable solo debut.
    Fraser McAlpine 2011-10-07

Songwriters who listen to too many records can struggle to come up with fresh ideas for their own. They’re too cowed by their own taste, too aware of pantheons and precedence, and too easily influenced by old and dusty sonic blueprints.
    It’s hard to say whether this is a greater problem for the artist or the listener. Certainly it would be easy to provide a list of reference points for Noel Gallagher’s pugnacious solo debut, some of which come from his old band – two songs reference Wonderwall. But that’s missing the point.
    Which is: Noel’s got his confidence back. After years of watered-down Oasis albums, where anyone with a band membership and a silk scarf could throw an authentically scuffed tune into the pot, this is not a tentative recovery, nor does it bluster and huff. It rests on a bed of quiet authority, that sense of calm over turmoil, which comes from Noel’s mournfully bullish voice. Or to put it another way, this is the sound of a man who no longer has to give a stuff what the rest of the band thinks.
    You can divide the songs into three categories: one, the jazzy shufflers – Dream On, The Death of You and Me, Soldier Boys and Jesus Freaks. Two, the Oasis throwbacks – If I Had a Gun, AKA… Broken Arrow, (Stranded On) The Wrong Beach. And three, the big rock anthems – Everybody’s on the Run, (I Wanna Live in a Dream in My) Record Machine, Stop the Clocks. The exception is AKA… What a Life, which takes Noel out of his traditional comfort zone and into a disco, albeit a very lean and spartan sort of disco. It suits him well, and he knows it.
    Jazzy interludes aside, there’s nothing particularly new here, and certainly nothing that will change anyone’s mind about the music of Noel Gallagher: he’s listened to a lot of records and he knows what he likes. But, finally freed of the burden of his old band, their hot streak and their lead singer, he can concentrate on making enjoyable records for other people to enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Shakermaker321

What day is out this week? And anyone any idea what the price will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Its out on sunday.

Regarding price, most new albums I've seen in HMV are like €15. The odd time you would get them cheaper for €9.99.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Shakermaker321

karaokeman wrote: »
    Its out on sunday.

Regarding price, most new albums I've seen in HMV are like €15. The odd time you would get them cheaper for €9.99.

Albums are always released in Ireland a few days early. I know its not sunday anyway. It could be thursday/friday or saturday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

Everybody's On The Run sounds powerful, had it in my head that it was going to be a soft acoustic number like the soundcheck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

Friday. It's €9.99 on itunes and 12.99 for deluxe version

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Stop the clocks imo is the best song in the album

Best non album track yet, had it on my ipod all afternoon. 7 minutes of bliss!

'A Simple Game Of Genius'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Temaz wrote: »
    Best non album track yet, had it on my ipod all afternoon. 7 minutes of bliss!

'A Simple Game Of Genius'

I like it - BTW it is Track 11 on the Deluxe album version on iTunes.

Nate

Noel on Newsnight last night

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

Brilliant album. Can't stop listening to it. B-sides and bonus tracks great as well. So annoyed I didn't get tickets to his Olympia gig. Hopefully he will announce a date in the O2 for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Ireland is Friday to Thursday for the charts, so the album comes out on Friday morning. Britain is Monday to Sunday, so that is why Monday is listed as the release date on NME or Q articles. I'm not sure how much a proper copy (ie CD) of the album costs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RedmanDublin

Roll on the gig, the album is class. The man is a genius, so much better that all the stuff out at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

This made me laugh....visions of Noel choking Louis Walsh slowly :pac:

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2011/1013/gallaghern.html

"That's why they should bring out The X Factor in 3D, so you could literally lean into the television and just press on his throat a little bit."

Tom Dunne will interview Noel on his show tomorrow!

EDIT: 10 am according to this

http://www.newstalk.ie/2011/programmes/all-programmes/tom-dunne/rock-n-roll-star-that-is-noel-gallagher/

Absolutely can't stop listening to If I Had A Gun.

I really think I prefer Noel on his own now to Oasis and what they were in their 18 years as a band.

I would even go as far as to say, Liam may have been holding Noel back in the later years.

Its that simple Noel is better on his own than the band he was once the lead guitarist of. In the truest sense, Wonderwall, Don't Look Back In Anger, She's Electric and all the classics are not Oasis songs anymore, they are Noel Gallagher songs.

Noel wrote them all by himself. He totally carried Liam while they were together in Oasis. Liam used to be a great singer, but even when he was most of the songs he became famous for were written by Noel.

They were Oasis songs because at the time they were there for Noel and Liam to perform together. Now that their bond has been broken and Liam refuses to play the songs at Beady Eye gigs, they are Noel songs because Noel owns the rights to them all and at the end of the day, he is the one who wrote them not Liam.

If Beady Eye played Little by Little at a gig it would be a Noel Gallagher cover because Gem Archer and Andy Bell were playing with Noel at the time.

When Noel plays the classic songs he used to do with Oasis at his solo gigs it will be much more natural because he is playing them and no longer has to write for someone else. Lets face it, the majority of Liam Gallagher's best vocals were penned by Noel.

That is the reality of it, Noel is the better Gallagher and he will come out with the better career. Beady Eye are going to have to live up to that reality and face the facts that they will never be as big as Liam wants them to be because their frontman could never do it without his brother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

Noel interview in the indo today. Makes for entertaining reading!

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/noel-gallagher-on-feuds-and-the-future-2906387.html

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Joe24

OK, caved and listened to Everybody's on the Run.

Crouch End Festival Chorus For The Win!!

What a tune! So much more substance than anything in the charts. Wish I was going to the Olympia :( Album will do until he's back in a bigger venue.

The Death of You and Me, If I Had a Gun, Everybody's on the Run. Absolutely brilliant songs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

Noel interview in the indo today. Makes for entertaining reading!

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/noel-gallagher-on-feuds-and-the-future-2906387.html

I like how he admits how nervous he is about the shows. I think it shows he still has the passion for it, which is great.

Got the album last night. Fantastic album

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Live4Ever

I really think I prefer Noel on his own now to Oasis and what they were in their 18 years as a band.

I would even go as far as to say, Liam may have been holding Noel back in the later years.

Its that simple Noel is better on his own than the band he was once the lead guitarist of. In the truest sense, Wonderwall, Don't Look Back In Anger, She's Electric and all the classics are not Oasis songs anymore, they are Noel Gallagher songs.

Noel wrote them all by himself. He totally carried Liam while they were together in Oasis. Liam used to be a great singer, but even when he was most of the songs he became famous for were written by Noel.

They were Oasis songs because at the time they were there for Noel and Liam to perform together. Now that their bond has been broken and Liam refuses to play the songs at Beady Eye gigs, they are Noel songs because Noel owns the rights to them all and at the end of the day, he is the one who wrote them not Liam.

If Beady Eye played Little by Little at a gig it would be a Noel Gallagher cover because Gem Archer and Andy Bell were playing with Noel at the time.

When Noel plays the classic songs he used to do with Oasis at his solo gigs it will be much more natural because he is playing them and no longer has to write for someone else. Lets face it, the majority of Liam Gallagher's best vocals were penned by Noel.

That is the reality of it, Noel is the better Gallagher and he will come out with the better career. Beady Eye are going to have to live up to that reality and face the facts that they will never be as big as Liam wants them to be because their frontman could never do it without his brother.

Hmmmmmmm. Not disputing the fact that Noel penned the tunes and they belong to him, however....

Liam was the town crier. Oasis would never have been famous without Liam, they'd never have been famous without Noel. Oasis was built on those two lads, it would never have worked otherwise. Liam has an unreal voice, instantly regonizable with a massive stage presence. Noel can't touch LG when it comes to commanding the stage.

IMO those songs are Oasis. 100%. Yeah Noel penned them but he penned them for the band. He is dead right to play them at the gig, he'd be shot if he didn't, but he's playing Oasis songs, not Noel Gallagher songs, if you get me?

Noel is the better musician and he's a better song / lyric writer than LG true enough. To be fair to LG he only started tunes towards the end of Oasis, he would have gotten away with never writing a song if he wanted. I think Beady Eye has helped LG blossom and his next album will be interesting. Noel has a huge jump on him in terms of writing and composing experience.

For the record Beady Eye refused to play Oasis songs that LG / Bell / Archer wrote for a reason: they were a totally new band.

Anyway, the album is very good.

The instant standouts on the first listen are: Aka Broken Arrow, Dream On, Soldier Boys and Jesus Freaks, Stop the Clocks, Aka What a Life and The Death of You and Me.

Have to listen to it a bit more and let the others sink in. Noel is a genius either way.

I don't think there's any disputing Noel as the better songwriter, etc. I wouldn't have thought Liam would dispute that either. But I don't get why people have to compare Noel with Beady Eye. I think if your an Oasis fan, you'd be pretty stubborn not to recognise DGSS as a really enjoyable album. It's great to see Andy, Gem and Liam working together and look forward to what they have planned next.

I'm just enjoying double the output from Oasis.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RedmanDublin

Yeah you are right, the Beady Eye album is pretty good, alot of people slate it, but if they listened to it, they would think again

Live4Ever wrote: »
    Noel can't touch LG when it comes to commanding the stage.

Thats fair enough but Noel undeniably had the greatest influence on the band. It is true that Liam had great showmanship and was the one able to stand at a stadium and be the centre of attention both vocally and individually, but all that derived from Noel. Oasis became a stadium rock band because Noel was a great writer of stadium rock tunes. Its not so much they chose to be a stadium rock band, any band would want to make that decision but they wouldn't be able to do it if they had mediocre songs.

I think Liam was good because he capitalised on what Noel invented for Oasis. He had an amazing voice, no doubt. As you say the next Beady Eye album will be interesting. If Liam can write songs that would help Beady Eye to eventually sell out stadiums, that will prove Liam had the compositional skills even without Noel, but for the success Oasis made Liam did it in co-operation with Noel.
    For the record Beady Eye refused to play Oasis songs that LG / Bell / Archer wrote for a reason: they were a totally new band.

Anyway, the album is very good.

Absolutely agreed DGSS is a great album. I'm only saying it has nothing on Noel's solo album with the likes of Everybody's On The Run, If I Had A Gun, Stop The Clocks etc.

It does still remain to be seen if Beady Eye are completely new as Liam stated that by their 3rd album they will play Oasis songs again. Persumably it will be I'm Outta Time, Songbird and the rest of Liam's own songs at first but if BE end up struggling to compete with Noel, it will be likely they will end up performing some of Noel's songs.
    Noel is a genius either way.

This is my main point on the matter.
    Can'tseeme wrote: »
    I wouldn't have thought Liam would dispute that either.

Liam called Noel the most overrated man in history. As diehard a Beady Eye fan I am, even I admit that with statements like this Liam must be somewhat jealous.
    I think if your an Oasis fan, you'd be pretty stubborn not to recognise DGSS as a really enjoyable album. It's great to see Andy, Gem and Liam working together and look forward to what they have planned next.

I'm just enjoying double the output from Oasis.

I love the Beady Eye album and I agree it will be good to hear more output from Liam, Gem, Chris and Andy. But Liam is now building his own success from the groundwork Noel laid down. I'm not claiming Liam is talentless, he most definitely isn't but he wouldn't have done it on his own.

Liam called Noel the most overrated man in history. As diehard a Beady Eye fan I am, even I admit that with statements like this Liam must be somewhat jealous.

I wouldn't read too much into that. Liam is fond of talking nonsense or getting a dig in at Noel.
    I love the Beady Eye album and I agree it will be good to hear more output from Liam, Gem, Chris and Andy. But Liam is now building his own success from the groundwork Noel laid down. I'm not claiming Liam is talentless, he most definitely isn't but he wouldn't have done it on his own.

It's been funny for Beady Eye. Surprisingly the media and the critics gave their album a pretty good response. But the public didn't take to it aswell as the band probably had hoped. Imo the reason was probably the public weren't convinced they'd be any good without Noel and the choice of singles didn't help convince people how good the album was.

Surprisingly the media and the critics gave their album a pretty good response. But the public didn't take to it aswell as the band probably had hoped. Imo the reason was probably the public weren't convinced they'd be any good without Noel and the choice of singles didn't help convince people how good the album was.

I think when fans bash the DGSS album, it is more a matter of them comparing Beady Eye to Oasis.

Many of them like the album but they just say "meh would have been better if Noel wrote the lyrics and was still there as the lead guitarist".

I think as soon as Beady Eye get out recording and releasing new material, that is when there will be greater enthusiasm, because if you look at the recent setlists you will see. They've been playing pretty much the same show since the tour started a few months ago barr the recent World Outside My Room and In The Bubble With A Bullet covers.

When Beady Eye have more songs to play on tour and more hit rock anthems under their belt, that will be when they will become more recognisable and there will be less of this "oh they are nothing without Noel".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I think when fans bash the DGSS album, it is more a matter of them comparing Beady Eye to Oasis.

Many of them like the album but they just say "meh would have been better if Noel wrote the lyrics and was still there as the lead guitarist".

I think as soon as Beady Eye get out recording and releasing new material, that is when there will be greater enthusiasm, because if you look at the recent setlists you will see. They've been playing pretty much the same show since the tour started a few months ago barr the recent World Outside My Room and In The Bubble With A Bullet covers.

When Beady Eye have more songs to play on tour and more hit rock anthems under their belt, that will be when they will become more recognisable and there will be less of this "oh they are nothing without Noel".

I thought the album was pretty average, without comparing them to anyone, and not wishing for someone else to write the lyrics. I just thought it was pretty disappointing all on its own. Their second album will need to be a whole lot better.

By the way im neither pro/anti Liam/Noel. Noel's album is better but I was hoping he'd veer a bit more away from what he's done already. Never been so underwhelmed by a single I was anticipating than 'Death of You and Me'. The albums got some very good tracks though, just was hoping for a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

The album is top top notch, it has more substance than every Oasis album bar the first two. Considering most of this album and Beady Eye's came off the Oasis cutting room floor Noel's one absolutely blows Beady Eye away it's not even close. I can't even think of any song where I thought I wonder if Liam was on that because he makes them his own

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Dotsey wrote: »
    The album is top top notch, it has more substance than every Oasis album bar the first two. Considering most of this album and Beady Eye's came off the Oasis cutting room floor Noel's one absolutely blows Beady Eye away it's not even close. I can't even think of any song where I thought I wonder if Liam was on that because he makes them his own

Totally agree. Love it all bar maybe Broken Arrow. Finding it hard to get into that one !

Alone on the Rope would of been a good addition to it imo.

Advertisement