Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How often do you use your camper

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Irishminds

The south of France in a motorhome is heaven, as is the USA, Canada, New Zealand and Australia. Better than any hotel (methinks).

Just do your homework, get it checked out for damp etc and enjoy.

It's great for the kids. I belong to a club and the three teenagers still come out to meets for the craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭mervifwdc

My folks use theirs just about every weekend all spring, Summer and Autumn. just the 2 of them.
    My brother, his wife and 2 kids use theirs almost as much (I think!), and the 2 kids love it (aged between 5 and 12).
    We just jumped in and got one, just for the 2 of us. We ended up visiting Slane over the weekend and went to Newgrange, something we would never have dreampt of doing before now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭Repolho

My wife and I got our camper in January. We haven't used it as much as originally intended but that being said we have still been away for 7 weekends in it and also 1 music festival. I've also used it several times for cycling (as someone else has said, much easier than fiddling with bike rack on the car) and we've also used it for several day trips.

When I was young our family went camping the whole time and we used love it. My wife had never been as a kid so she was aprehensive about buying a camper. Took a bit of persuasion! To be honest she didn't really enjoy the first couple of trips but she is getting more and more into it. Right now we are planning a trip to France in September for a couple of weeks - maybe its the prospect of stocking up on wine thats changing her opinion :D.

We also used our van to go to Ikea to collect some stuff that would not have fit on our car :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭WildWater

Repolho wrote: »
    - maybe its the prospect of stocking up on wine thats changing her opinion :D.

We also used our van to go to Ikea to collect some stuff that would not have fit on our car :-)

Just back from France (first time in camper) sooooo much more room for wine than in the car :D:D:D

Had to laugh at the IKEA one. Not only that (fitting stuff in) but Mrs Wildwater has discovered that the camper is much better for shopping trips generally as Mr Wildwater (me) can be left to make lunch and entertain the kids while she does goes shopping. Also no worries about where the loos are and how clean they will be.

But they are not everyones cup of tea. My brother loves them and has rented two on holidays. But he will never buy as he has yet to find one with a Jacuzzi, sauna and room service for the Mrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Eileen36

Hi..
    Bought ours in June-so far last weekend was the only one she was sat in drive! Kids are 2yrs(almost) and a 3yr old so we have only had one nighters away on sites to break them into the bunks and sleeping through ( only managed one weekend so far when one did not end up at 3am in our bed!)
    They love it.. and we paid a lot of savings for it so knew we would use it as long as we can afford to every weekend for overnighters or just days out.
    We have stayed in Apple orchard, nore valley, banna beach, mount shannon, adare, Mullingar site and Doolin-with having little ones our 'wants' on any site are different to couples etc but so far most have been good. And we are getting used to mini holidays every Saturday night too and obviously to afford to go away most weekends we do cut down cost where we can-like bringing all food with us etc.

As for buying it.. was the best thing we did so far.. Spain is on the cards for next Easter already and we have 3 trips planned for August in Ireland.

I know when the lilttle ones are not so little they will get more enjoyment out of it as right now slides on the camp sites,walking around lakes and woods are thrill enough for them!

For anyone wanting to buy I would say give it some serious thought and if you do buy make sure you plan trips so you know you will use it and enjoy it..I find if we didnt plan ahead and book sites then maybe we would be lazy to use 'her' as often so now we always plan a few weekends in advance and come midweek get all ready for 'camper adventures'..

hope that helps ..

x

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

what driving licence is needed? a C1?
    how much are they on the ferry to france or uk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

A full car licenc is sufficent if your driveing one 3500kg or under,,with regards ferry prices i think they are touching near priceing themselfs out/under...i got irish ferrys from Dublin to Holyhead last Friday and returned on Monday and it cost 450.00euro, Im going to France next week and the return ferry is costing 1150 euro from Rosslaire to Roscoff which i think is way to much,then you add 25miles to the gallon on diesel and it dosnt be long adding up.....these are just some factors that need to be added in the equation when considering takeing the plunge,,,,,but hay when you enlist you have to soldier and its not fo everyone but me and mine love it and make penty of other sarcifises to merit it...
    The one other bit of advice i would give is to Hire a camper fo a week before you purchase,as i say its not for everyone...

so 3500kg, is that a kitted out vehicle or the weight of vehicle in its standard class? and gross or kerb weight?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

Merch - there are a number of other threads in this forum that gives all info required on Licence requirements - you have a fair amount of tech info already so should be easy to match up you specifications to actual licence requirements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

We could do with hearing from someone who has a campervan/motorhome AND a family please.:):):)
    We got ours the at the start of March, and have a 3 and a 2 year old. Probably haven't used it quite as much as intended for overnights, but that's been more weather related than anything else - it's better than a tent, but still a bit of the pain if the weathers crap, but that also comes down to van choice. We've only managed 2 days on the bounce so far, as the children are difficult to settle at night, but they absolutley love it.

We do use it a lot for day trips though, from the very first weekend we had it. It's very handy to have as a base, with porta potti and curtains for day trips. The children love it, and even in changeable weather a walk and then a picnic in the van is enough to keep them entertained. Going to the beach is so easy, when you can nip back to get changed and/or warmed up and then head out again.

As for van - we'll we've a bay window VW, which we love. However, we went in with our eyes wide open regarding reliability and possible future costs! Size wise, it's working and we went for a smaller van so we would use it with little hassle for day trips. We'll probably upgrade in a few years as the children get bigger (well not upgrade, buy another!), to either a coachbuilt or do a conversion.

There's no reason why a T4 or T5 (or equivalent) with a pop top couldn't be a daily driver, and replace a second car. At that size they're definitely a campervan rather than a motorhome though. It's a step above camping, but not by a massive amount.

I think it came up in another thread, it might not necessarily be cost saving - it's a lifestyle choice. Although I think you do save in the long term. You're right to question before you buy, as some of the other posts suggest where someone only used it 4 times (which I find a bit bizarre, and to me suggests they didn't try it for long enough). If you brought now, and did a season and then decided it wasn't for you, then you wouldn't lose much though. But you have to set out that you are going to give it a genuine go, as the first few trips are a bit daunting as you find your feet imo (both the set up of sites, and what you do and don't need to bring).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Done over 70,000 kilometers (90% of it in Europe) on ours since we got it new back in 2005. Apart from those here at home our trips in Europe have ranged from 5 weeks to 22 weeks.
    When we bought many people said our money would be better spent on an apartment in Spain as at leart that would go up in value, how wrong were they :D.
    While our 'mobile apartment' has depreciated somewhat at least I am not tied to the same place every holiday and, being a left hooker, I can change it in Europe wherever there are decent trade in values, avoiding the dead market here.

At the end of the day it's a 'lifestyle' choice, some people think nothing of spending five grand for the family to go to Orlando for two weeks, me, I prefer touring in my camper for not much more than the cost of staying at home, that is apart from the already mentioned depreciation which in a 'normal' marketplace is probably about the same as a couple of package holidays a year.

Martin_D wrote: »
    Merch - there are a number of other threads in this forum that gives all info required on Licence requirements - you have a fair amount of tech info already so should be easy to match up you specifications to actual licence requirements.

? and you are? with 2 posts, giving that advice, I find that a bit suspicious? you seem a bit overly familiar with boards.
    If that was the case, can you link me to it please as I already did search specifically for camper licence, it only turned up general stuff.
    Anyway, I ask advice and I give it and opinions also, I dont like trawling past the first couple of pages or through every thread to find it, plus I didn't see a sticky on it in motor homes and campervans forum for information. If someone can answer a question, good, if they cant why would you redirect someone but without providing information?

Merch wrote: »
    so 3500kg, is that a kitted out vehicle or the weight of vehicle in its standard class? and gross or kerb weight?

B licence = ANY vehicle type (except those with more than eight passenger seats = mini-buses) up to 3,500 kg GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight) also referred to as MTPLM (Maximum Technically Permissible Laden Mass)

C1 licence = ANY vehicle (except those with more than eight passenger seats = bigger mini buses)) greater than 3,500kg but not greater than 7,500kg GVW / MTPLM

GVW / MTPLM = what it says on the tin, the unladen weight or 'kitted out' weight has nothing to do with licence categories.

The GVW / MTPLM will be found on the VIN plate aka weight plate which is usually riveted on in the engine compartment, the maximum axle weights will also be found on it.

And, let's forget about bikes, tractors, etc. etc. not relevant to this forum

Sorry Merch - no upset intended - just thought the topic was a bit out of the loop on the actual topic in the thread which was rolling long as an interesting debate in itself.
    As a newbe, yes I have few posts but have read through many on this forum for advice, including on Licence requirements for campers; used the search function occasionally and that quickly got me to some of the topics. Pesant - the mod - has often advised on the topic e.g as below

[Again no upset intended - u live and learn!!!!!]

Quote:
    Originally Posted by merc camper
    I am not sure why people seem to think u need to have a C licence as this is for a goods vehicle, why not a D licence for a bus?
    A D licence is what you need when you are carrying more than 8 passengers ...actually ...no ...it's what you need when driving a vehicle capable of carrying more than 8 passengers (with seats for them and all that)

To recap:
    B licence new: up to 3500 kg
    B licence old (up to mid 90's): up to 7500 kg
    C1 licence: 3500 - 7500 kg
    C licence: over 7500 kg

Sorry Merch - no upset intended - just thought the topic was a bit out of the loop on the actual topic in the thread which was rolling long as an interesting debate in itself.
    As a newbe, yes I have few posts but have read through many on this forum for advice, including on Licence requirements for campers; used the search function occasionally and that quickly got me to some of the topics. Pesant - the mod - has often advised on the topic e.g as below

[Again no upset intended - u live and learn!!!!!]

Quote:
    I am not sure why people seem to think u need to have a C licence as this is for a goods vehicle, why not a D licence for a bus?
    A D licence is what you need when you are carrying more than 8 passengers ...actually ...no ...it's what you need when driving a vehicle capable of carrying more than 8 passengers (with seats for them and all that)

To recap:
    B licence new: up to 3500 kg
    B licence old (up to mid 90's): up to 7500 kg
    C1 licence: 3500 - 7500 kg
    C licence: over 7500 kg

No worries, I looked but it didnt come up straight away, I presumed people here would have the knowledge already, so I prefer to pick peoples brains, I'll admit I'm lazy like that. I kinda thought I was being shut down, my mistake. Anyway, much that I would like to have a camper, I dont think I would get enough use/time to use it that would offset the cost, and I'd prefer to have an enclosed garden to keep it, unfortunately not.

Quote:
    I am not sure why people seem to think u need to have a C licence as this is for a goods vehicle,.............

The pictogram of a 'delivery van' on the C &C1licence is only for illustration purposes.

The C & C1 class of vehicle are all body types (vans, lorrys, cranes, mixers, campers, ambulances etc. etc.) within the weight categories mentioned other than buses (vehicles with more than eight passenger seats) which are D & D1.

The pictograms really mean nothing, for example you can drive a Transit van on a B licence and that has a pictogram of a 'car'.

If a camper is not more than 3,500kg you can drive it on a 'car' licence. If it's over 3,501kg you need a 'truck licence'

Those of us who passed the 'car' driving test before the current categories came into operation have 'grandfather rights' to 'truck licence, but it is limited to 7,500kg C1.

It IS confusing when people think " my camper isn't a 'goods' vehicle so I don't need a 'goods' licence".
    When it comes to the correct driving licence for a vehicle there are just two questions.

1. Is it a vehicle of any description <passenger or goods or whatever> with not more than eight passenger seats and less that 3,500kg = B licence
    2. Is it more than 3,500 Kg or more than 7,500Kg < irrespective of what function the vehicle is designed to carry out, and with not more than eight passenger seats> = C1 or C licence

So, if the camper is not more than 3,500 a 'car' licence will do the job, if it's over 3,500kg a 'truck' licence is needed, if it's not over 7,500kg a C1 will do and if you win the lotto and buy a large American RV over 7,500kg you will need a C licence, or a chauffeur :D

Great info. The added bit relates to how you really know what the relevant weight is for you camper - issues such as Mass In Running Order (MIRO) add confusion - and as i said earlier this has been covered in other threads in this Forum.
    It might be worth putting up a summary of Licence issues (as per niloc1951) to include issues relating to weight calculations and relevance - there are several experienced and knowledgable experts on this Forum who would be be best placed to do that (I'm a newbe and still learning)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭porterboy

If the sticker says 4000 kg and actually 3300kgs fully laden can you drive it on a car license?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭colmll

Im thinking of buying a Mooveo C 707 on a Fiat Ducato 2.3 td. It is relitively new with very low mileage Does anybody have any concerns with this type of camper van?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

porterboy wrote: »
    If the sticker says 4000 kg and actually 3300kgs fully laden can you drive it on a car license?

As far as I know, the sticker will be the gross weight, or how much the van is rated to carry.
    Your license covers the weight of the vehicle and whatever is in it (including passengers) so if that all comes to below 3.5 tonnes then you are grand.

Again, that is as far as I know but I could be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭T650

colmll wrote: »
    Im thinking of buying a Mooveo C 707 on a Fiat Ducato 2.3 td. It is relitively new with very low mileage Does anybody have any concerns with this type of camper van?

Looked at some images on the web and it appears that the toilet cassette would be accessed from the back wall on the motorhome. Being a short arse of 5' 7" myself I would not be gone on the idea of having the cassette there as it would be awkward if you had a bike rack. Reaching up would be a dose :) also I have seen motorhomes with the cassette at the back and bikes on the rack in front of the cassette door. You need to remove the bikes to get at the cassette ! Not so bad if you never intend putting on a bike rack.

http://www.motorhomesdirect.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/motorhome-auction.jpg

http://www.betterthancamping.co.uk/images/Mooveo/C707/Mooveo_C707_13.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭colmll

Yes, I had noticed this. There is a bike rack on the van but it is positioned more to the left hand side and even though there was no bikes on the rack, it looked like there was enough room to access the cassette door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭T650

colmll wrote: »
    Yes, I had noticed this. There is a bike rack on the van but it is positioned more to the left hand side and even though there was no bikes on the rack, it looked like there was enough room to access the cassette door.

Ah ok. As long as you have that in mind :)

Advertisement