Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dimmer Switch ?

• 29-07-2011 7:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

I have to replace a double dimmer switch, (low voltage) one side runs 6 x 50w bulbs and the other runs 4x50w bulbs, I can only seem to get one that is rated 250w each side in the style i want, is the easiest option to replace the 6x 50w bulbs with 6 x 35w bulbs?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

Replacing the bulbs is one option. Can you remove the dimmer from the face plate, and replace with a 500w dimmer. They are held in by a lock nut, if you pull off the knob you will see the lock nut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Energysavers.ie

Try a company called switch distribution in Tallaght they have 2 gang plate dimmers with 400 watt per switch (good idea to allow a 25% derating factor per plate) that's 600 watts so your covered. They have them in brass, chrome etc. See www.switch.ie

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

beanie10 wrote: »
    Can you remove the dimmer from the face plate, and replace with a 500w dimmer. They are held in by a lock nut, if you pull off the knob you will see the lock nut.
    Be careful, this can cause overheating!

I have seen where people have converted a 3 x 250VA dimmer switch to a 3 x 500VA dimmer switch this way and one of the modules melted. They need a certain amount of space for cooling.

As far as I remember instructions with MK dimmer modules for grid switches explain how many can be installed in a grid for this reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sohappy

Thanks all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

2011 wrote: »
    Be careful, this can cause overheating!

I have seen where people have converted a 3 x 250VA dimmer switch to a 3 x 500VA dimmer switch this way and one of the modules melted. They need a certain amount of space for cooling.

As far as I remember instructions with MK dimmer modules for grid switches explain how many can be installed in a grid for this reason.
    Probably the middle module melted, do you know if it was a single box size switch or a double box size switch? I have seen a 3gang dimmer switch in a single box size which i wouldnt be keen on. Anyways the op could keep a 250 watt dimmer for the 4x50w and put a 400w or 500w dimmer for 6x50w, cant see any danger in that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement