Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very Strange Wireless Problem, Need Help Please!!

Options
  • 29-07-2011 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭

Hi, I dunno how to solve this but, the problem is my laptop works perfectly and connects to the internet without issue and the same for the rest of the computers in the house, but as soon as one specific laptop is turned on in the house, my laptop can no longer connect to the internet just says it was unable to connect, this only happens when that other specific laptop is turned on, other wise it works perfectly, but the problem is the laptop causing problems is used very regualry, so Im kind of stuck with what to do frown.gif Also the router im using is a D-Link 240R, i used to have the standard Eircom Nepotia router which didnt have this problem, changing back isnt an option though, Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Are there any unusual settings in the Dlink? Have any of the laptops been given fixed ip addresses?

If you turn off security in the dlink does the problem still happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Soap MacTavish

dub45 wrote: »
    Are there any unusual settings in the Dlink? Have any of the laptops been given fixed ip addresses?

If you turn off security in the dlink does the problem still happen?

Thanks for the quick reply, there is no unusual settings used in the d-link that i am aware of anyhow, the only settings i changed were opened ports for my ps3 and gave the ps3 a static ip address, no of the laptops have static ip addresses dunno if they need to?, also another laptop in the house generally works but tends to drop connection randomly from time to time, I havent tried turning off the security in the router but will try it as soon as i can, i never had problems with the old eircom router but that wouldnt work the ps3, :confused:

No you don't need to give the laptops fixed ips I was just casting around for some ideas as to what might be causing the problem.

Is the laptop that causes the problem used in any other wireless situation? could it have any specific wireless settings if it is?

Have you tried changing the wireless channel on the dlink?

No you don't need to give the laptops fixed ips I was just casting around for some ideas as to what might be causing the problem.

Is the laptop that causes the problem used in any other wireless situation? could it have any specific wireless settings if it is?

Have you tried changing the wireless channel on the dlink?

Ah right thanks, no the laptop causing the problem doesnt have any special settings its just connected like all the rest but it is connected wirelessly aswell and is in the same room as the router, havent tried changing wireless channel, will try that also

Ah right thanks, no the laptop causing the problem doesnt have any special settings its just connected like all the rest but it is connected wirelessly aswell and is in the same room as the router, havent tried changing wireless channel, will try that also

You say its connected wireless as well does that mean its connected twice? (cable and wireless?)

• Advertisement

You say its connected wireless as well does that mean its connected twice? (cable and wireless?)

Sorry meant to say, all the laptops are connected wirelessly, but after a the laptop in the room with the router is turned on, I lose all the wireless internet connection on my laptop, I can only work my laptop then if I connect it with a homeplug that I have to borrow off my ps3

• Registered Users Posts: 2 irish699

Sorry to jump in on the thread, but I am having a similar problem with my new eircom zytech (spelling?) router. My PC is connected via LAN cable and works perfectly. However, the WiFi on my laptop only connects intermittently and when it disconnects I have to turn the router on and off again to reconnect. Similarily, with my mobile, I have to manually connect to the wifi but it disconnects after a few minutes and I have to reconnect manually again. All my WiFi devices used to connect automatically with no connection issues on my old netopia router. Also, they all work peerfectly on other wireless networks. Eircom support have been brutal, blaming my my laptop.

I'm not a tech guru so I don't mess around with settings and IP address' etc, the router came out of the box and I presume its plug and play, as for my own devices, no settings have been ammended.

P.S. its not a signal strenght issue either as I have full beams on both the laptop and phone.

Any help would be much appreciated.

irish699 wrote: »
    Sorry to jump in on the thread, but I am having a similar problem with my new eircom zytech (spelling?) router. My PC is connected via LAN cable and works perfectly. However, the WiFi on my laptop only connects intermittently and when it disconnects I have to turn the router on and off again to reconnect. Similarily, with my mobile, I have to manually connect to the wifi but it disconnects after a few minutes and I have to reconnect manually again. All my WiFi devices used to connect automatically with no connection issues on my old netopia router. Also, they all work peerfectly on other wireless networks. Eircom support have been brutal, blaming my my laptop.

I'm not a tech guru so I don't mess around with settings and IP address' etc, the router came out of the box and I presume its plug and play, as for my own devices, no settings have been ammended.

P.S. its not a signal strenght issue either as I have full beams on both the laptop and phone.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Did you try changing the wireless channel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 irish699

Did you try changing the wireless channel?
    Worked, cheers buddy, much appreciated.

Advertisement