Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q SAT

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭bog_savage

Am I right in saying you can pay €59.95 for 8meg broadband and have a download limit of 5gig per month ??????

"Download caps from 1GB to 5GB depending on package plus NightSaver option of unlimited bandwidth"

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭pat13wx

bog_savage wrote: »
    Am I right in saying you can pay €59.95 for 8meg broadband and have a download limit of 5gig per month ??????

"Download caps from 1GB to 5GB depending on package plus NightSaver option of unlimited bandwidth"

Yes, that is the case. A pathetic allowance if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

5 gigs? I get a 15 gig allowance on my phone ffs. For shame Niall Quinn, for shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hobbit stomper

Just saw the ad on TV and I looked it up. Wow... I guess they really do focus on areas where people live in the middle of nowhere and don't even have broadband via phone lines.
    • They offer 1MB to 8MB speed, while most other providers start off at 8MB.
    • Their cheapest pack is almost as expensive as some other providers most expensive pack.
    • They charge 50 EUR for a router, while most other providers give away a router for free.
    • They charge 99 EUR setup fee, while many other providers to not have a setup fee.
    • They offer a ridiculous download limit of 1GB to 5GB. Common... with that you can literally just check your emails. No Youtube, no music, no daily surfing.

In my opinion, only go for this provider if you really live in the middle of nowhere, where you cannot get Eirecom or UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

So many alternatives offering fixed wireless for rural areas,why would anyone get Qsat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Also, the amount of detail provided is pitiful. No FAQ, no breakdown of download allowances per package, the so-called nightsaver add-on is another 10 E/month, no acceptable use policy i could find, the list goes on ...
    No info on the limits of satellite broadband like its high latency, unsuitability for on-line gaming etc.,
    A absolute last resort option only.
    My fixed wireless, while not cheap, at least gives me unlimited downloads at about 5mb/sec for 40 E/month.

morgana wrote: »
    My fixed wireless, while not cheap, at least gives me unlimited downloads at about 5mb/sec for 40 E/month.

That sounds a pretty good deal. If I may ask, who are you with in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

I'm with Ripplecom (previously Amocom - Bweeng transmitter). They've had their share of problems in Cork recently, hopefully it is fixed now. PM me if you want more detail.

Thanks for that. I know of Ripplecom and even got in touch with them recently with the hope of using their service, but was told they do not currently reach my area. This is a shame as they seem a decent crowd; the lady I spoke to came across as knowledgeable and very nice. She took my details and once they're available where I live they'll get back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Noggle

I decided to use Q Sat as my existing broadband provision thing didn't work out. I find them virtually impossible to deal with. They can't tell you when they will make your connection. 4-6 weeks from when you pay is supposed to be the offer. If you ask them well what date have you got recorded as my date of payment they say “we can't tell that from here"? If you say could you check and I'll ring you back later they say well if you ring customer services you can't be reconnected to me you get (wait for it -the helpdesk). Apparently they are bringing ina new system and migrating records "this weekend" and can flag caller complaints for Head Office “in Dublin"..... I could feel my heart sinking so I said can I have my money back ....they have no mechanism to organise a refund.

Anyone else come across Q-Sat?

Oh yeah they are "manically" busy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Noggle

http://www.wicklowbroadband.com/

These were recommended to me but I unfortunately decided Q Sat might be best.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Noggle wrote: »

Oh yeah they are "manically" busy.

All two of them, Quinno & Gillian:D:D

Q-Sat is fast becoming a bit of a joke - but not to their customers, who have to suffer such an appalling service. I am gad I didn't go with them, even when I was tempted to when they first came on the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Noggle wrote: »
    http://www.wicklowbroadband.com/

These were recommended to me but I unfortunately decided Q Sat might be best.

You should've went with Wicklow Broadband,seems like Q-Sat are a bit of a joke.The way they are dealing with you is amateurish at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Qsat should refund you your 99 Euro installation fee and I hope they do.

@Noggle
    Thank you for informing us of your situation.
    I would advise putting all correspondence with Qsat in writing either email or hard copy, for future reference.

I very nearly went with Qsat last week however I went with Tooway from Onwave.

I rang Onwave last Friday and paid E99.00 installation fee, E25.00 Activation fee and E39.95 monthly subscription.
    I get 6MB download, 1MB upload and 4GB monthly download allowance.

They told me on Friday installation would be in next 10 days, they rang back Friday afternoon and arranged installation for Monday. Two installers arrived in an Onwave marked vehicle from the Mullingar area, very good customer service. From my observation they followed health and safety and did a good job.

So far the internet service has been perfect and my family and I are happy with the service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

4GB monthly allowance? I hope you don't stream video or listen to the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    4GB monthly allowance? I hope you don't stream video or listen to the radio.

When I saw the 4gb allowance i thought it was a typo. Checked the tooway website, My God its not a typo! Hope you dont use the internet too much or you are in for a nasty surprise at end of month when you get your bill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 248 ✭✭I love Joan Burton

givecredit wrote: »
    When I saw the 4gb allowance i thought it was a typo. Checked the tooway website, My God its not a typo! Hope you dont use the internet too much or you are in for a nasty surprise at end of month when you get your bill.

True I agree, but you have to understand its the only option for some people

Yes it is my only option, I have had other operators in the past a total head reck.

We dont do much down loading at moment.

Wife is doing an online course with FAS, all working well.

Onwave state a fair deal process, and connection slowing down if you are doing major downloads, RTE player, utube.

I will have to look into the possibility of getting bigger bills than expected, I dont believe this is the case. I will confirm this with Onwave in writing in the next couple of day and report back, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭jupiter00

I am reading these posts and getting worried about Q sat already. We've had no BB for months and now its our last resort, no BB here and we are only 20 miles from Cork city, the line of site BB stopped working here so its great to be back on line again. We got the 30 euro package but how long before we have to upgrade as I'm no techie. My children use you tube a bit, we buy music from itunes but no movie downloads or gaming, just surfing really. We'll find out soon enough, does anyone know what happens when you use up your 'allowance'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Your last resort was an Establish satellite provider, not Q Sat.

When you use up your allowance it's very very slow. Worse than ISDN.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 248 ✭✭I love Joan Burton

It saddens me that people have to resort to the likes of Q SAT, I honestly wish there was another way

Watty, for myself and anybody else who may not realise which are the established satelitte providers?

FRIENDO wrote: »

I very nearly went with Qsat last week however I went with Tooway from Onwave.

I rang Onwave last Friday and paid E99.00 installation fee, E25.00 Activation fee and E39.95 monthly subscription.
    I get 6MB download, 1MB upload and 4GB monthly download allowance.

They told me on Friday installation would be in next 10 days, they rang back Friday afternoon and arranged installation for Monday. Two installers arrived in an Onwave marked vehicle from the Mullingar area, very good customer service. From my observation they followed health and safety and did a good job.

So far the internet service has been perfect and my family and I are happy with the service.

They sound a professional company, my only concern is the very limited download allowance. The price seems OK, though for Satellite.

I am glad you got yourself sorted but do be careful as you'll find yourself very easily going over the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

jupiter00 wrote: »
    Watty, for myself and anybody else who may not realise which are the established satelitte providers?

Digiweb is oldest and may be 2nd biggest in Europe and also a real ISP and real hosting company (one of larger hosting and registrar companies in Ireland). Onwave is formerly Satellite Broadband Ireland (SBI) and has a strong commitment to install quality, but are not an ISP nor have hosting.

No-one in Ireland is a Satellite Operator. The Elfordstown station is doing work for Eutelsat, but not for Irish beams/spots/Subscribers.

Bently Walker are UK based and one of the most professional Satellite resellers in Europe. Not sure how they deal with Irish Installations.

There is no one else worth dealing with here. The rest are like Sky sales boutiques in Shopping centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ISAA

watty wrote: »
    Digiweb is oldest and may be 2nd biggest in Europe and also a real ISP and real hosting company (one of larger hosting and registrar companies in Ireland). Onwave is formerly Satellite Broadband Ireland (SBI) and has a strong commitment to install quality, but are not an ISP nor have hosting.

No-one in Ireland is a Satellite Operator. The Elfordstown station is doing work for Eutelsat, but not for Irish beams/spots/Subscribers.

Bently Walker are UK based and one of the most professional Satellite resellers in Europe. Not sure how they deal with Irish Installations.

There is no one else worth dealing with here. The rest are like Sky sales boutiques in Shopping centres.

+1

givecredit wrote: »

Below reading Onwave site Q+A;

What happens if I reach my monthly download Limit ?
    If you exceed your volume allowance, your Service will slow down.

They then advise to check the fair usage policy

http://www.onwave.ie/fair_usage_policy

I will contact Onwave tomorrow in relation to a suprise bill, however I dont think I will be paying any more than the agreed amount.

Hi guys, I sent an email to Onwave in relation to suggestion that I could be charged over my agreed monthly subscription, below is sample of answer which I got back this morning. (a quick reply)

I am a new customer and would like to confirm the following question.

If I reach my monthly download limit, can I be charged any more than my agreed monthly subscription ?

Can I be charged anymore than my monthly subscription for any reason ?

I have the 6mb download, 1mb upload and 4GB month allowance, 39.95 per month.

I got the service installed last Monday and both my family and I are pleasd with the service.

Thank you,

You will not be charged any extra for any reason on your broadband, your broadband will be €39.95 every month. We are very happy to hear that you are happy with your service and if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

I find Onwave customer service to be good and I hope it continues.

FRIENDO wrote: »
    Hi guys, I sent an email to Onwave in relation to suggestion that I could be charged over my agreed monthly subscription, below is sample of answer which I got back this morning. (a quick reply)

I am a new customer and would like to confirm the following question.

If I reach my monthly download limit, can I be charged any more than my agreed monthly subscription ?

Can I be charged anymore than my monthly subscription for any reason ?

I have the 6mb download, 1mb upload and 4GB month allowance, 39.95 per month.

I got the service installed last Monday and both my family and I are pleasd with the service.

Thank you,

You will not be charged any extra for any reason on your broadband, your broadband will be €39.95 every month. We are very happy to hear that you are happy with your service and if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

I find Onwave customer service to be good and I hope it continues.

That is excellent. However, your service might be throttled - severely slowed down.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that info, I will now be finding out about onwave. Why aren't they advertised on tv so we know about the service, I always thought cost would be prohibitive. I rang qsat to find out how much my kids have used since Friday and it says 1.53 GB surely this can't be right, they do watch youtube alot though. This was on mystats.avantiplc.com.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement