Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q SAT

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭pat13wx

jupiter00 wrote: »
    Thanks for that info, I will now be finding out about onwave. Why aren't they advertised on tv so we know about the service, I always thought cost would be prohibitive. I rang qsat to find out how much my kids have used since Friday and it says 1.53 GB surely this can't be right, they do watch youtube alot though. This was on mystats.avantiplc.com.

And herein lies the real problem with Satellite - especially with Q-Sat, but they're all more or less the same at the lower price. The service might be what you want - and at an affordable price, but the download allowance is simply too dreadful and is soon used up and before you know it your speed will be severely restricted to what is essentially snail pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

Coiuld we please have some feedback from people who have Q-sat installed rather than comments from people who are bitching about a service they dont have experience with -there is something very Irish about this,I have only seen one thread from someone who has Q-Sat actuallly installed

Coiuld we please have some feedback from people who have Q-sat installed rather than comments from people who are bitching about a service they dont have experience with -there is something very Irish about this,I have only seen one thread from someone who has Q-Sat actuallly installed

Oh, come off it. We are commenting on what Q-Sat describe on their website; the desperately poor monthly allowance, for example. We do not need to go to the bother of actually having it installed to know this much.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

pat13wx wrote: »
    Oh, come off it. We are commenting on what Q-Sat describe on their website; the desperately poor monthly allowance, for example. We do not need to go to the bother of actually having it installed to know this much.

Just remember there are people out there like me, who dont have comparisons to make. I have a sub standard wireless service that gets me at the best 2 mgs and at weekends goes down to 1 or less, so i would really like to know what people are experiencing with Q-sat, I dont care about a bundled TV service as I want Sky sports ,I might be interested in a bundled phone service

Just remember there are people out there like me, who dont have comparisons to make. I have a sub standard wireless service that gets me at the best 2 mgs and at weekends goes down to 1 or less, so i would really like to know what people are experiencing with Q-sat, I dont care about a bundled TV service as I want Sky sports ,I might be interested in a bundled phone service

I imagine the speeds will be as described. Having read almost all responses on the subject of Satellite BB it does seem the speeds are consistent with what's being advertised; however, the ping rate is very high, but if your are not into gaming and if latency isn't a concern, then you'd probably be fine. The download allowance is for many of us a major issue when it come to any broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

Just an after thought but what is your coverage of 3G in your area like? They do a BB option that isn't bad on pay as you go and for me (Cavan area) it actually beats my Eircom BB speeds hands down!

I also wondered if Sky would ever roll out their BB to Ireland and if not why not, anybody know?

Also with this Tooway crowd, they do a few different packages but I'm just wondering what would be the best option for a household with a few children who would use Youtube casually, online game most nights but never download torrents and only surf the web at other times. What cap would be best to go with do you reckon?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Hi Guru Maith Agut, I have the 6MB - 39.95 package with Onwave.
    Works great with surfing web and my wife is doing on line course with FAS no problem.
    We only look at utube the odd time and one of the kids might play online lego starwars the odd day.

I would contact Onwave via email outlining your requirements and find out what they say.

Below is conditions from the above web site on the Fair usage policy.

http://www.onwave.ie/fair_usage_policy

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

Thanks. I was just on to them and their package would not work for the rigours of online gaming unfortunately as the latency would mean the game would drop out during play so its a non runner for us due to that factor.

Oh well, back to the drawing board :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭adne

Thanks. I was just on to them and their package would not work for the rigours of online gaming unfortunately as the latency would mean the game would drop out during play so its a non runner for us due to that factor.

Oh well, back to the drawing board :(

Would onwve be sufficient for skype type conference calls??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

I asked Onwave the question on behalf of a friend I recommended deal

Below is the answer in email from onwave

Skype uses roughly 1MB for every 4 minutes of a call. So depending on usage 4GB should be sufficient. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

My understanding is that 1GB = 1000MB = approx 66.66 hours of skype

• Advertisement

FRIENDO wrote: »
    I asked Onwave the question on behalf of a friend I recommended deal

Below is the answer in email from onwave

Skype uses roughly 1MB for every 4 minutes of a call. So depending on usage 4GB should be sufficient. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

My understanding is that 1GB = 1000MB = approx 66.66 hours of skype

That would be fine if all you were using was Skype. 4GB will only work if your usage is very limited. I'd personally go through that allowance in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Video Skype can default to HD and use a lot more. Note that upload = Download and both count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 S55AMG

I had QSat installed 2 weeks ago and am dreadfully dissapointed, frustrated and angry :mad:

I am signed up for the 4 meg BB package with Nightsaver. Since day one I have had issues with the connection speed. 90% of the 20 odd speed tests I have done have all come in under 1 meg, a couple at 1.5 and one at 3. The speeds are completely inconsistent.

I thought I was getting the issue resolved when I had a ticket opened and was getting some response from Tech support. Unfortunately for me, QSat have decided that getting less than one meg is acceptable on my package and they do not intend on doing anything further about it. How is this possible? How can they consider this an acceptable connection speed for 40 quid a month? If I was paying for the 2 meg line I might understand a bit more, but I am not willing to accept those speeds on a 4 meg line. QSat's entire web site and FAQ's section is simply a load of spoofing to get you to sign up. I will be getting onto ComReg about their false advertising. Have you read their 'FAQ' about contention and waffling about airline seats and overbooking? Then they conveniently forget to mention what their contention ratio is!

Are there any more disgruntled QSat customers out there? I would say there are but they just can't get online to complain about it ;)

Contention is very high on Satellite, hence low hourly, daily and weekly caps as well as Monthly.

It's an up to 4Mbps package.

Terrestrial is limited to 48:1 contention (doesn't apply to Mobile or Imagine WiMax). Satellite contention can be eventually 200:1. It used to be 2000:1 on older systems!

But Qsat don't provide the service at all. They are merely a reseller.

I warned that despite the large increase from Hylas-1 and Ka-Sat for Ireland that it was only enough for about 2000 users at decent contention. But many Hylas-1 and Ka-Sat customers are transferred from satellites overloaded or unsuitable for Ireland. So there may only be space for a about 1000 new customers at decent contention and speed.

We need a proper Broadband policy. Mobile isn't credible. The NBS didn't deliver any Broadband and the Government's continued belief in Satellite, Mobile and also LTE is delusional. Satellite or Mobile should not be needed by ANYONE for fixed Internet access, maybe about 100 people at most. The "market" isn't going to solve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 S55AMG

watty wrote: »
    Contention is very high on Satellite, hence low hourly, daily and weekly caps as well as Monthly.

It's an up to 4Mbps package.

Yes UP TO is fair enough but within reason though. I used to have a 20 meg line with Vodafone in my last house and I consistently had 18 meg. THAT'S an 'up to' I was willing to accept. In this case I would accept a consistent 3 meg. But less than one meg throughout the peak time I would not consider a reasonable 'up to'.

I'd like to know what Qsat are going to consider a 'reasonable' connection speed if I drop to the 2 meg line? 128, 256 Kbps? It's false advertising at its best and they know they have me over a barrel because the only reason I'm with them in the first place is because there is no one else I can get :(

ASAI, Government & Comreg has done nothing about the Blatant misuse of English of Mobile Operators and many ISPs. They will do nothing about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 twhelan14530

i have qsat in south tipperary and i must admit it has to be the greatest waste of time and money it averages from 500kb to 1mb and im signed up to a 6mb download plus night saver. absolute rip off considering "niall quinns promise" of which i quote "Our Promise Too good to be true?
    Well that seems to be the reaction of some people. Not only that, it appears that a lot of you have signed up for various options in the past only to be disappointed afterwards. So what better way to put you at ease than to tell you that we are so confident that we can meet your needs that we are prepared to offer you a 14 day money back guarantee. If, prior to the expiration of the 14-day period you decide, for whatever reason, that you no longer want the service then we will remove the equipment from your premises and return your money to you. It is as simple as that.
    Sounds fair? I think so."
    or follow this link http://www.qsat.ie/niall%e2%80%99s-promise but remember people you have an obligated contract to them ONLY if they upkeep their promise to you and also remember all broadband providers key words for their brilliant sale is you can have up to 1,2,4,8,20 or whatever download speed they say they can provide but look again the KEY WORD IS " UP TO " in other words they dont have to supply that speed, it's like any sale in clothing, grocery etc just look at the wording this is their legal way out "up to" YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭elsie1b

i have qsat in south tipperary and i must admit it has to be the greatest waste of time and money it averages from 500kb to 1mb and im signed up to a 6mb download plus night saver. absolute rip off considering "niall quinns promise" of which i quote "Our Promise Too good to be true?
    Well that seems to be the reaction of some people. Not only that, it appears that a lot of you have signed up for various options in the past only to be disappointed afterwards. So what better way to put you at ease than to tell you that we are so confident that we can meet your needs that we are prepared to offer you a 14 day money back guarantee. If, prior to the expiration of the 14-day period you decide, for whatever reason, that you no longer want the service then we will remove the equipment from your premises and return your money to you. It is as simple as that.
    Sounds fair? I think so."
    or follow this link http://www.qsat.ie/niall%e2%80%99s-promise but remember people you have an obligated contract to them ONLY if they upkeep their promise to you and also remember all broadband providers key words for their brilliant sale is you can have up to 1,2,4,8,20 or whatever download speed they say they can provide but look again the KEY WORD IS " UP TO " in other words they dont have to supply that speed, it's like any sale in clothing, grocery etc just look at the wording this is their legal way out "up to" YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED
    Do you have the t.v box? Just wondering how it works i.e are the channels streamed or received from satellite like sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 twhelan14530

elsie1b wrote: »
    Do you have the t.v box? Just wondering how it works i.e are the channels streamed or received from satellite like sky.
    sorry but i don't have tv box but if thats anything like their broadband i definately wouldn't be going with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭elsie1b

sorry but i don't have tv box but if thats anything like their broadband i definately wouldn't be going with them
    Was just curious were they using satellite transponders on hylas for t.v or streaming the channels in some way.
    If they are streamed this would affect download limits,which might affect how much t.v you could watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 WhosAlice

Anyone with service from Avanti Communications directly looks like they'll now be served direct from QSAT.
    http://www.satellitetoday.com/broadband/headlines/38227.html
    January 24, 2012
    Avanti Communications has signed a new deal for capacity on Hylas-1 worth a minimum of £13.6 million ($21.17 million), the company announced Jan 23. The deal is with QSAT of Ireland. As part of the deal, QSAT will also acquire (subject to completion of administrative processes) certain end-user broadband consumers, which Avanti has within its legacy business. Avanti says the aim here is to remove operating expenses and a channel conflict with Avanti’s wholesale distribution strategy.
    Approximately half of the capacity that QSAT has purchased will be used to service these existing customers and half is additional capacity to support QSAT’s planned growth outside of Ireland. “At QSAT we are delighted with our association with Avanti. The Avanti Hylas-1 system offers the best quality, reliability and flexibility in the market and QSAT plans to grow a large International business with Avanti,” Niall Quinn, QSAT Chairman said in a statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

Is there anyone here ccurrently using QSAT? Can you tell me if they are any good these days or if they are still as bad as the posters here describe?

Also, I use torrents a lot (legal material, obviously! :)) so would anybody mind telling what speeds they can dl at?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭zg3409

pooch90 wrote: »
    Is there anyone here ccurrently using QSAT? Can you tell me if they are any good these days or if they are still as bad as the posters here describe?

Also, I use torrents a lot (legal material, obviously! :)) so would anybody mind telling what speeds they can dl at?

Thanks in advance!

Torrents are a big no no on satellite broadband. They use more bandwidth than normal downloading and may or may not be throttled or blocked entirely. For most people any 3G mobile broadband will be:
    a: better value (lower cost per month)
    b: faster ping times (better for gaming and skype)
    c: higher download caps

If you cannot get 3G try all mobile networks. If you can get a signal outside that can be fed indoors.

Satellite is generally for those than cannot get 3G unless you are willing to pay extra for more speed and bandwith.

“At QSAT we are delighted with our association with Avanti. The Avanti Hylas-1 system offers the best quality, reliability and flexibility in the market and QSAT plans to grow a large International business with Avanti,” Niall Quinn, QSAT Chairman said in a statement.

a) It's not and never will be Broadband.
    b) I seriously doubt it's better than Tooway from Eutelsat. Avanti is tiny startup and QSAT is an inexperienced reseller.

Satellite is better than it was. But it's never going to be broadband, has rubbish latency, terrible contention, poor capacity and rotten Caps.

ALL of the Satellite capacity available to Ireland is less than one Rural DSL exchange or one UPC street cabinet.

QSAT can't possibly offer any better than other Irish Satellite resellers and are not even an ISP. They just sell and install.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭acmatman

is anyone aware that Q Sat appear to have gone out of business ?

Their website is saying: "sorry, maintenance in progress…" Is this what you're basing your question on, or do you have another reason? Be interesting to know the craic.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

we don't drag up old threads. If there's new information a new thread is the correct approach

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement