Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gels

Options
  • 29-07-2011 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks

Going to be upping my mileage soon and for the first time, i'm going to have to start using gels.

Understand their are many different types.
    Just have a couple of questions.

1. Where do i get these Gels.

2. How often should i take these when running.

3. Can't really take gels riddled with salt (understand most gels are possible loaded with salt). Would also prefer to take liquid gels that would not require water during a run when i'm taking them.

i'm sorry if this question has been asked hundred's of times before. LSR's going up to 15 miles over next few weeks and want to try gels on these runs to see how i get on.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

You don't have to use them, plenty of people don't like them at all and never use them. No harm trying them out though to see do they suit you as they are a practical solution.

You want isotonic gels to avoid having to take water with them, the sis go gels are one such, are popular and widely available.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

You can get the gels cheap if you buy in bulk, wiggle.co.uk, but you can buy them individually in cycle/sports/outdoors shops. Initially try a few different brands and see what works for you.

Depends on the gel, but I think the high 5 ones say 3 or 4 per hour, I wouldnt take that many, probably half that amount.

I always take with a little water with them. There's probably brands out there that don't need water.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

PDCAT wrote: »
    1. Where do i get these Gels.
    2. How often should i take these when running.
    3. Can't really take gels riddled with salt (understand most gels are possible loaded with salt). Would also prefer to take liquid gels that would not require water during a run when i'm taking them.

Running and cycling shops usually carry a wide variety. Try some different ones out. When you're doing that, just take one on each run, until you find a type that suits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Thanks for the info guys.

Will try the local cycling shops and get some Isotonic Gels. Will start to take one on my LSR's at the weekend and see how i get on.
    Will try a few different one's and see which one suit's me best.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Lucozade jelly beans............used them once,great things,only 1.50 too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Search for Lucozade jellybeans on runnersworld forum for an interesting tidbit on these in comparison to normal jelly babies

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭central park

I got a box of 25 High 5 gels from www.chainreactioncycles.com for €29.03 delivered to my door. Very good service.

Advertisement