Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Races- people with "that" attitude

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

snubbleste wrote: »
    It's just a glorified rag week..
    It's Rag Week with better PR.
    JustMary wrote: »
    Remember back to the Volvo ocean race in 2009: Huge crowds, but afterwards we were commenting here about how much nicer they were than the race week crowds.

(If I wasn't so lazy, I'd even search for the thread!)
    The Volvo was a more laid back affair. There wasn't any perceived dress code or kettling of crowds.

The problem with Race Week is the kind of **** who wears a suit twice a year. Once to the Races and then again for the obligatory appearance in front of a District Justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Don't like the Arts Festival crowd or the Race Week crowd. Loved the Volvo Ocean Race...it was just much more friendly than either of the other two. Galway would have won a lot of fans and hopefully return visitors from that.

I went into town Thursday night. I lasted 30 minutes before going home. Spikey haired arseholes in pink shirts or pink ties making smart arse comments to guys and girls trying to do their jobs in pubs does not make me very happy. In that 30 minutes I saw a girl in heels fall spread Eagle in front of me :) Flesh coloured panties was a bold choice lady!!

I saw some old guy grab a girls ass, have heard from female friends that they had their skirts lifted up and got grabbed a lot. There's a bad vibe with the Race Week crowd. There has been for a good few years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

The SHTATE of town last night.

Absolute warped arseholes & arseholettes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 327 ✭✭LimGal

I was in town on Thursday mostly in the Cross street area,had a great night no hassle at all!

I was talking to a few different people on Friday thou who told me they had heard of a lot of young women passed out down at the Arch with young lads jumping on them and having their way with them.

Very fecking disturbing if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

LimGal wrote: »
    I was in town on Thursday mostly in the Cross street area,had a great night no hassle at all!

I was talking to a few different people on Friday thou who told me they had heard of a lot of young women passed out down at the Arch with young lads jumping on them and having their way with them.

'having their way'? Do you mean raping them??

Jesus, I'm assuming if this is true, someone who 'saw' it rang the Guards?

• Advertisement

inisboffin wrote: »
    'having their way'? Do you mean raping them??

Jesus, I'm assuming if this is true, someone who 'saw' it rang the Guards?

Yup,thats what I mean.Hoping somebody rang the gardai too.The people that I was talking too didnt see it directly themselves so maybe it isnt true but no smoke without fire.

Women passed out at the arch,really lady like.
    Maybe they should drink less.

barryd09 wrote: »
    Women passed out at the arch,really lady like.
    Maybe they should drink less.

yeah, being unladylike and drunk is FAR worse than raping someone

WTF???

yeah, being unladylike and drunk is FAR worse than raping someone

WTF???

I never mentioned rape,thats obviously worse than being passed out.
    But when will people be responsible for their boozing?

barryd09 wrote: »
    I never mentioned rape,thats obviously worse than being passed out.
    But when will people be responsible for their boozing?

The poster before me mentioned women passing out in Spanish Arch and then (they heard) being raped by young lads. I agree with you that people need to be responsible for boozing, but nothing *justifies* rape. I hope to God this incident was exaggerated by word of mouth, and it wasn't as horrible it sounds.

• Advertisement

The poster before me mentioned women passing out in Spanish Arch and then (they heard) being raped by young lads. I agree with you that people need to be responsible for boozing, but nothing *justifies* rape. I hope to God this incident was exaggerated by word of mouth, and it wasn't as horrible it sounds.

Oh i know,nothing justifies rape,nothing.

Im just shocked by the amount of things that happen that people justify with drink/i was drunk etc etc.
    People wont find themselves in casualty,in court,in mill street etc if they could ACTUALLY drink or just drank less.
    Its completely acceptable to be ****ing blocko drunk at every & any occassion but yet taking responsibility for your dumbass decisions & incidents while drunk is non existent.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

Interesting to see what it would be like if no alcohol was available for just one day.

Most punters couldn't deal with the fact there was no cider or heineken on sale in Ballybrit it would be like Scanners if punters got to the racecourse to find a dry bar!

sounds like a unsubstantiated rumor hopefully tbh,
    dont know what would be worse that it happened or that people saw it happen and didn't make any effort to put an end to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

Eyre square last night was extremely bad, saw one guy get shoved off the top of an esb sub station building and fall about 10 - 15 ft and was completely unresponsive, ambulance called and other lads who pushed him ran off in different directions. People were ripping bikes from the bike rakes and smashing them against benches and trees. I got hassled by about 3 lads who had just done there leaving cert and thought they were the bees knees, they wanted to fight me for the craic. They weren't the only ppl who hassled me for no reason at all, I was just waiting quietly on a bench with a friend to get a lift home. I hated the attitude around town, found it to be extremely unfriendly and threatening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

yer man! wrote: »
    Eyre square last night was extremely bad, saw one guy get shoved off the top of an esb sub station building and fall about 10 - 15 ft and was completely unresponsive, ambulance called and other lads who pushed him ran off in different directions. People were ripping bikes from the bike rakes and smashing them against benches and trees. I got hassled by about 3 lads who had just done there leaving cert and thought they were the bees knees, they wanted to fight me for the craic. They weren't the only ppl who hassled me for no reason at all, I was just waiting quietly on a bench with a friend to get a lift home. I hated the attitude around town, found it to be extremely unfriendly and threatening.

That guy is in intensive care fighting for his life!
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/20762-gardai-seek-two-men-connection-eyre-square-incident

maybe you should contact the gardai if you saw the lads that did it

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

from the report

''One man was wearing a black shirt and a grey tie, while the second man was wearing a purple and black shirt and a red tie.''

feck sake, you can dress them up but you can't bring the out springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

You're a witness to what is at least assault, possibly more severe depending on how he does. You need to contact the guards. Even if you didn't make out their faces or anything, you still need to tell them everything you saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

According to that report, both guys were wearing shirts and ties. Dressed up Race Week thugs.

I do think some posters here have very valid points about Irish people being responsible for their drinking. If you go racing at 1pm and you are still drinking at 3am then chances are you are going to make a right t-i-t of yourself, male or female.

I hate Shop Street, Quay Street, or High Street on the Thursday of Race Week, it's virtually impossible to get from one end of the street to the other, everywhere is so crowded it's no wonder people with full bladders decide to relieve themselves on the street. It's so crowded, it's just not fun.

I have just read Brian O'Connell's book about being sober (a dry alcoholic) in drunken Ireland and it is no fun at all to be stone cold sober in the middle of such loud, obnoxious behaviour.

Of course the Races are good for Galway, they bring in money and people, and most people have fun ... but in this country in general we have to stop glorifying effectively getting out of our minds with a drunk which is actually a depressant, it doesn't matter if it's for weddings, GAA games, or watching horses run around a track.

Zillah wrote: »
    You're a witness to what is at least assault, possibly more severe depending on how he does. You need to contact the guards. Even if you didn't make out their faces or anything, you still need to tell them everything you saw.

x2

skelliser wrote: »
    That guy is in intensive care fighting for his life!
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/20762-gardai-seek-two-men-connection-eyre-square-incident

maybe you should contact the gardai if you saw the lads that did it

It all happened really quickly and i barely saw the lads involved, I wouldn't be able to identify them as there was a lot of ppl around, just saw two guys running away in opposite directions and guards rushing to aid the guy who fell. I didn't realise the drop was that high as it's lower on the side i was looking from. I thought the lads were fleeing because of the guards so made nothing of it until i went around the building and saw the man on the ground with ppl around him. The point where the man had fallen from was out of my view, so i can't be sure what happened on top of the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

skelliser wrote: »
    What is with these people that come to the races?
    You know the type; suits, shoes and wads of cash.
    For the ladies; dolled up to the max with huge heels.
    They both have one think in common, a stuck up nasty attitude....
    Don't give a damn what attitude they have as long as they are separated from the contents of their wallets and a bit of positivity is felt around the town.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

Had to pick up some friends on Thursday night around the spanish arch,I have never seen such chaos in all my time in Galway.
    Women urinating in the shop doorways,fellas getting sick and kicking cars,an African taxi driver doing an illegal u turn and hitting a pedestrian sending him into the bus shelter at the arch,poor guy was rattled and taxi fled the scene.
    Litter and takeaway cartons everywhere,it was so busy hundreds of people at 2:30am walking in the middle of the street,I had a real fear I would hit one of them as the lads were pushing eachother into the road.
    I think any sensible Galwegian will not venture out that night,its known as a messy night but nothing prepared me for the spectacle of Ladies day drunks.
    Its a pity they have to drink so much and make a donkey of themselves and you cannot say the women are worse from what I saw it was equally balanced shennanigans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

How do you know the taxi driver was African?

Jesus.Thats crazy.Whereabouts is this ESB sub station?I cant picture it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

snubbleste wrote: »
    How do you know the taxi driver was African?

Because he let a roar from the car at they guy and he sounded African,had African features what more do you want.
    If he was Irish or Indian I would have said he was from their but he was African that I am 100% certain off.

Jesus.Thats crazy.Whereabouts is this ESB sub station?I cant picture it?
    Picture of it is in the attachment.

Taxi driver mentioned that the young lad's condition had improved, and two men were questioned. Can't verify any of this, but if the young guy is slightly better, that's good.

Heard a band had to be pulled from a city centre gig last night mid set, to *save them from physical harm* when the crowd got too unruly.

Thank God it's almost over.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭achmairt

You never hear any of this reported on Galway Bay FM though ! I wonder why ?? Galway is far worse than Limerick but they have the bad name.:rolleyes:

achmairt wrote: »
    You never hear any of this reported on Galway Bay FM though ! I wonder why ?? Galway is far worse than Limerick but they have the bad name.:rolleyes:

Maybe Murdoch owns GBFM? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭elefant

If it was rag week it'd be all over the radio too!

• Advertisement

Galway is far worse than Limerick but they have the bad name.:rolleyes:

Galway is such a fun and chill place most of the year. But race week - ugh. Not my cuppa tea. If I ever have visitors coming, I steer them well clear of this week. This year was one of the worst imo. I hope businesses at least made a killing, and if they are sound, I hope they gave their staff a bonus!

Advertisement