Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Races- people with "that" attitude

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Stop Lad!

fellas in cheap suits wearing sunglasses at the races, even tho its dull and misty... that sh1t bugs me. hate these kinda tits

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭R0UF

In fairness to the poster who suggested that the Film Fleadh doesn't attract the same hassle, they're dead right. I was in Galway throughout the film fleadh and barely heard anything about it, which considering the massive crowds it attracts is quite an achievement.

Also, if I visit Galway for race week next year I must remember not to wear a suit and tie in case the boards.ie snobs (plenty on this thread) immediately brand me a hooligan and makes a few jokes about my next court date.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭R0UF

FlashD wrote: »
    .... anyways it's a knacker festival now, a week when the tracksuit brigade swap over for suits. You spot them mile off, buzzcuts and farmer tans for the lads and dangly earrings & oompa loompa makeup for the girls. :D

Guess race week makes them feel like 'somebody' then come Monday its back to the dole for the other 51 weeks of the year.

Regards

This race week thread probably makes you feel like 'somebody'. How is the view from your Ivory Tower oh mighty one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

R0UF wrote: »
    Also, if I visit Galway for race week next year I must remember not to wear a suit and tie in case the boards.ie snobs (plenty on this thread) immediately brand me a hooligan and makes a few jokes about my next court date.

Suits and ties are for 2 occasions, weddings and funerals otherwise your just been a BRAT! :pac:

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

R0UF wrote: »
    In fairness to the poster who suggested that the Film Fleadh doesn't attract the same hassle, they're dead right. I was in Galway throughout the film fleadh and barely heard anything about it, which considering the massive crowds it attracts is quite an achievement.

If thats not sarcasm then cart me off!!

• Advertisement

Arts Festival week in Galway is fantastic for families, there's a fun, laidback feel about the city that week.

Galway Races used to be a good week but the boom changed all that.

.... anyways it's a knacker festival now, a week when the tracksuit brigade swap over for suits. You spot them mile off, buzzcuts and farmer tans for the lads and dangly earrings & oompa loompa makeup for the girls. :D

Guess race week makes them feel like 'somebody' then come Monday its back to the dole for the other 51 weeks of the year.

Regards

Absolute nonsense post, the vast majority of people at the races are not knackers and it certainly isnt a knacker festival.
    Suits and ties are for 2 occasions, weddings and funerals otherwise your just been a BRAT! :pac:

Regards.

Why, I always dress up to a certain degree when going to the races and I always wear a suit some of the days and jeans, shirt and jacket the others. I do the same when going to other big race meetings such as punchestown.

Some race meetings especially in the UK have strict dress code and you wont get in without it. Now thats extreme but personally I like to make a effort when going racing, especially race festivals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

I was down in the arch for a while on Ladies day and it was a bit of a joke really, there was one guy guying around throwing punches at randomers for the hell of it, when the guards saw what he was up to he only given a caution and let off again.
    The gardai also seemed to be going over to people they felt were maybe a danger to themselves or others and telling them to move on only for them to return to the exact same spot a few minutes later.
    There didnt seem to be any decisive action coming from the gardai, I know they had their hands full but the message they seemed to be sending out was as long as your not obviously or seriously breaking the law, they did not want to know about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Knacker is a derogatory phrase, please don't use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Im a girl and work in a bar part time and have had male customers help me out/stand in a few times

It depends on the number of drunken louts and how aggressive they are. No point for a guy to be a hero for a barmaid barperson and getting his head kicked in.

The bouncers are there to quieten down any foolish activity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

leonidas83 wrote: »
    I was down in the arch for a while on Ladies day and it was a bit of a joke really, there was one guy guying around throwing punches at randomers for the hell of it, when the guards saw what he was up to he only given a caution and let off again.
    The gardai also seemed to be going over to people they felt were maybe a danger to themselves or others and telling them to move on only for them to return to the exact same spot a few minutes later.
    There didnt seem to be any decisive action coming from the gardai, I know they had their hands full but the message they seemed to be sending out was as long as your not obviously or seriously breaking the law, they did not want to know about it.

the gardai only have a certain amount of race week accomodation at the station and it's reserved for the most deserving

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    Knacker is a derogatory phrase, please don't use it.

I know the races aren't full of 'k****ers', what I meant was a bad element has dragged the festival down over the last 10 years of boom and its spilling out on to the streets of Galway every evening.

'K****ers' dosen't apply to people on the dole either. Was on that for over a whole year myself so I know what that's like.

Apoligies

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

LimGal wrote: »
    Think there is a difference between several different sources saying they had heard something similiar occur at the Arch(which sounds very plausible going by what other posters having been saying what was goin on down there) and some tw*t sitting behind his computer making something up about somebody being a pedophile.
    So there's a difference between several posters saying they heard something and one poster saying they heard something? Well then by that criteria if two more posters post here that they heard you are a pedophile then by your own reckoning it has become true.
    Sorry, you simply can't bandy about allegations of rape based on a few posters on boards.ie saying they heard a story about something from somebody. The severity of the issue has ZERO connection to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    So there's a difference between several posters saying they heard something and one poster saying they heard something? Well then by that criteria if two more posters post here that they heard you are a paedophile then by your own reckoning it has become true.
    Sorry, you simply can't bandy about allegations of rape based on a few posters on boards.ie saying they heard a story about something from somebody. The severity of the issue has ZERO connection to this.
    Thought we were keeping this quiet but yes i heard this too.;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

LimGal wrote: »
    Yup,thats what I mean.Hoping somebody rang the gardai too.The people that I was talking too didnt see it directly themselves so maybe it isnt true but no smoke without fire.
    Dry ice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 327 ✭✭LimGal

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    So there's a difference between several posters saying they heard something and one poster saying they heard something? Well then by that criteria if two more posters post here that they heard you are a pedophile then by your own reckoning it has become true.

I never said it was posters in hear I heard it from.It was from different people I had met on the Friday after ladies day when the incidents are suppose to have happened.Now sorry there is a big difference from people having witnessed rape(which the people who told me this said it came from a reliable people) and people accusing me of being a pedophile when there is actually no evidence or proof of me banging your younger underage sister that one time......I swear Dan it wasnt me.......even if you heard it from two people;)

Thought we were keeping this quiet but yes i heard this too.;)

Awh Sh*te!You heard I banged his underage sister too.........well then by Dans logic thats two people that heard it so I guess Im goosed..........;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

LimGal, stop the rumour mill now.
    Without reliable sources I'd prefer it if you didn't use this forum to spread rumours/hearsay that might be just taken out of thin air or simply untrue.

Everyone back on topic.

biko wrote: »
    LimGal, stop the rumour mill now.
    Without reliable sources I'd prefer it if you didn't use this forum to spread rumours/hearsay that might be just taken out of thin air or simply untrue.

Everyone back on topic.

No problem biko me auld mate:D

:D:D:D

I never realised there were so many crazy people in Galway an' sure ye're all this thread.

Until next year's races and more of the same. Can't beat the bit o' banter.

Good luck to ye :)

Advertisement