Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

extending UPC network

Options
  • 29-07-2011 8:57pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

i have UPC at home, 30mb with standard wireless modem and a PC upstairs i want to connect. i also have a belkin N+ modem router and rather than put a wireless PCI card in the PC, is it possible to set the Belkin up to recieve wirelessly and feed by network cable to the PC? i've heard talk of bridge or access point but not entirely sure.

cheers!
    Mark

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Correct - what you can do is make the belkin a client of the UPC router's network, and plug the PC into it.

What is the model number of it? It's unlikely that such a config is possible out of the box, but it is possible to put alternate software on routers to achieve the funtionality you want such as with: http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database

Just to note - you won't be getting the full 30meg through wireless... you would need to go wired to achieve that

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

Hiya,

the router model is F5D8635-4 v1

yeah i know i won't get the 30mb and thats fine but just trying to get around it this way

cheers

Hiya,

the router model is F5D8635-4 v1

yeah i know i won't get the 30mb and thats fine but just trying to get around it this way

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

It doesn't look like you can put alternate firmware on that router...

And from reading the manual at: http://www.belkin.com/uk/support/article/?lid=enu&pid=f5d8635uk4a&aid=14356&scid=0 it doesn't look like you can set it as a client of another network...

Either get a wireless extender, or preferably, a wired connection I think...

cheers for that :) gonna try get one of the over powercable connections and use that instead. thanks for all your help :) very much appreciated

• Advertisement
Advertisement