Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary fuse board or multiple wires for kitchen

Options
  • 29-07-2011 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently in the process of upgrading the electrics in the house and need to decide on the kitchen wiring.

Option one is to put a new 16sq mil cable from the main fuse board to a secondary fuse board in the kitchen and then wire all the sockets and appliances from there.

Option two is to use a smaller cable (though a have already the 16sq mm cable, just need to install it), like a 10sq mil for the oven (bit of a beast, 10.5kW) and then run a couple 2.5sq mil ones to the sockets.

I kind of like the option one idea of the secondary fuse board, just makes things quite a bit less messy in the main board but I'm not sure about the regulations for fuse boxes in kitchens. Are they allowed there and if there are any specific types that I'd have to use?

Any suggestions, help, advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

from my recollection
    a consumer unit should not be positioned in the kitchen(havnt got the reg to hand)so that rules option 1 out
    also the new regs state that a consumer unit should be mounted min 1.4 mts to bottom
    max 2.25 mts to top so that probably rules option 1 out also

option 2 is the way to go(imho)

also ring mains are no longer permitted so i would advise at least 3 radials
    plus a separate circuit for freezer on its own rcd (or switched fused spur if no rcd protection)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Thanks for the advice. I also couldn't find the right phrase for google to give me the appropriate reg for this. The hight restrictions wouldn't be a problem in my case and I also don't have to deal with a freezer unit, just a standard fridge that would use up one of the wall sockets. But if I can't put a fuse box in a kitchen then there is only one option left.

I'll go with option two then.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

id be thinking radials from the main db unless theres need for sub board

if that 10.5kw is the total cooker load you can apply diversity

cant recall if a db is allowed in a kitchen or not

bit late for me but a kitchen db doesnt seem to be prohibited

i dont think you can google the irish rules

M cebee wrote: »
    bit late for me but a kitchen db doesnt seem to be prohibited

i dont think you can google the irish rules

probably right
    just says not over cooker or heating appliance 530.5.4
    or within 400mm of gas appliance or meter 530.5.6

• Advertisement

ya meercat

you should get an electrician op for peace of mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 sparky 83

just want to add that ring circuits are permitted if you read the latest regs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 sparky 83

meercat wrong again with the domestic height for db ,the height is 2.25m to the top,the 1.4m to the bottom is for industrial installs to allow for esb cutouts to go under the db,read the regs ''again''

sparky 83 wrote: »
    meercat wrong again with the domestic height for db ,the height is 2.25m to the top,the 1.4m to the bottom is for industrial installs to allow for esb cutouts to go under the db,read the regs ''again''

thanks sparky but i believe im right here
    whats also"wrong again"

dont wait too long for your humble pie ;)

just want to add that ring circuits are permitted if you read the latest regs

ring main are no longer permitted in kitchens(rules554 latest regs)

• Advertisement

sparky83 seems to have his facts wrong

unless theres been a recent amendment

M cebee wrote: »
    sparky83 seems to have his facts wrong

unless theres been a recent amendment

or trolling perhaps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I dont remember seeing him wrong too often i must say.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    I dont remember seeing him wrong too often i must say.

cheers robbie7730:D

Advertisement