Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pests ruining my vegetable plot

Options
  • 29-07-2011 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've got a 2m x 1m x 50cm plot in the garden that I use for vegetables.
    Ive got it split 3 ways now, spring onions, carrots and lettuce.

Things were going really well until A) the cats started appearing overnight and digging up the veg.. and B) Holes started appearing in my lettuce. Ive noticed a tiny brown aphid like pest sitting on the leaf (He seemed to be wearing sunglasses and smoking a cigar.. giving me the middle finger).

Here's a photo of the lettuce leaf.

168894.jpg

I'm a total beginner and I'd love a bit of help sorting this one out, especially the lettuce problem as Im getting lots of use from picking the lettuces leaves as I need them.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭brian_t

It's mainly slugs that eat lettuce like that.
    It's hard to judge the size of your guest from the photo could he be a baby slug?
    Aphid tend to suck sap from plants and spread disease and you usually would see more then one.

As regards the cats you might have to invest in some netting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

The guest is no more than about 3-4mm. Little brown guy with legs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Redwood77

If you're sure it isn't slugs, chances are the pest will be either a Capsid bug or a leafhopper. Capsid bug is most likely as they eat emerging leaves causing the holes to expand as the leaf grows. Leafhoppers cause more of a mottled appearance on the leaf. Aphids will cause distortion in large numbers accompanied by a black sooty mould(excrement) on the leaves. A few aphids cause no harm.
    Whatever the problem, A garlic formulation pesticide will greatly reduce any pest numbers. Available in any garden center.
    Another great option is SB PLant Invigorator. This is a soap like insecticide with added nutrients. It is completely safe to use and kills insects by sticking them to themselves, they become immobile and starve rapidly. The added nutrients will help plant growth. Again should be available in many garden centers.

Advertisement