Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost free travel pass, need it urgently

Options
  • 29-07-2011 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭

I lost my free travel pass either last night or this morning and am panicing heavily. I basically need it for this friday and given how slow sligo are(they also managed to lose my first form) there's no way I'm going to get it in time. I can't afford the crazy train prices up to dublin and get ill on bus journeys.

I went to the Garda Station and they told me I just needed to get a form from the bus station and bring it back to them, and I'd have it quickly, but they said no at the Bus Station, I have to go to Sligo with it.

I think it's pretty silly, people with mental disabilities like autism are going to lose these pretty easily and panic when they do so. There should be a better system.

Is there any way I can qualify for free travel without the pass? Some kind of temporary pass?

I really cannot afford to travel otherwise.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Wait... Let me get the Travel office to work Saturdays on overtime for those poor souls who loose their free travel pass.

If a person is so mentally disabled they will loose their pass they can avail of the Free travel pass for a companion who will help them.

Really don't see your point posting here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭CrystalLettuce

alex73 wrote: »
    Wait... Let me get the Travel office to work Saturdays on overtime for those poor souls who loose their free travel pass.

If a person is so mentally disabled they will loose their pass they can avail of the Free travel pass for a companion who will help them.

I could say the same for you. What's the point in being unnecessarily vicious towards a panicing disabled person?

You obviously don't have a grasp of most disabilities or how hard it can be to get a care worker. Really, I should have had one long ago. Just because I'm capable enough to post on forums and do my own shopping does not mean i lack serious issues.

I am curious as to what you're even doing in this forum in the first place. Perhaps if I was in a wheelchair my disability would be obvious enough to a simpleton such as yourself that you may knock off the hard ass act.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

OK, theres a transport forum in here somewhere http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=246

I hope that helps. Perhaps if you got the guards to ring the train station themselves, some form of temporary pass could be provided ?

OK, theres a transport forum in here somewhere http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=246

I hope that helps. Perhaps if you got the guards to ring the train station themselves, some form of temporary pass could be provided ?

I'll see, organising a return could be awkward though. It seems perfectly reasonable that someone from the weflare office at least should be able to get me a ticket for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭squeky

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/SW40/Pages/10WhatshouldIdoifIlosemyFreeTravelPass.aspx

you will have to fill it out and send it to them im sorry i cant be of any other help to you but 1 bit of advice of what i have done is i have photocopied my pass and placed it in a different compartment of my purse if i ever lost it but im not sure if handing the piece of paper to the bus driver would work, never tried it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Freddio

Your community welfare officer might be able to give you the train fare

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

Or book your return ticket online its cheaper and claim back from your CWO.

Also Im sure if you ring them and explain your situation that you have a very good reason to be travelling friday e.g., hospital apponitment etc they could send a letter to you to give to the train inspector. You should do now asap.
    Im sure i have seen something similar to do with bus but cos the bus driver knew the passenger well cos they a regular local person travelling on the bus daily, it was fine. even those who forgot their pass or were fishing for it in their bag, a nod away to your seat, off you go. they do come back to the driver to show that they found their pass in their bag :p
    But this was years ago when i was a student travelling on bus from village to town.

Dont know if you can do this now but worth a try but bear in mind that this was the bus when drivers and passengers are regulars and from the area.
    train inspectors different story.

Or book your return ticket online its cheaper and claim back from your CWO.

Also Im sure if you ring them and explain your situation that you have a very good reason to be travelling friday e.g., hospital apponitment etc they could send a letter to you to give to the train inspector. You should do now asap.
    Im sure i have seen something similar to do with bus but cos the bus driver knew the passenger well cos they a regular local person travelling on the bus daily, it was fine. even those who forgot their pass or were fishing for it in their bag, a nod away to your seat, off you go. they do come back to the driver to show that they found their pass in their bag :p
    But this was years ago when i was a student travelling on bus from village to town.

Dont know if you can do this now but worth a try but bear in mind that this was the bus when drivers and passengers are regulars and from the area.
    train inspectors different story.

Thank you, I have it sorted out now though :) I ended up having to travel by bus. I ended up separated from the people I was with going back and I had a serious panic attack. After this, I think I need to apply for a companion pass, though it's a bit of a lottery I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

alex73 wrote: »

SNAP :mad:

Advertisement