Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple addition

Options
  • 29-07-2011 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭

Do this in your head only. Do NOT use paper and pencil or a calculator. Add the following numbers as quickly as you can. Take 1000 and add 40 to it. Now add another 1000. Now add 30. Add another 1000. Now add 20. Now add another 1000. Now add 10. What is the total?

Now add the same numbers using a calculator.

Do your answers match?

I've done this five times and five times my answers have failed to match. (And I've been a member of MENSA since 1988! :eek: )
    Apparently 96% of people asked to perform this simple math answered 5,000, which is wrong. Very few answered 4,100—the correct answer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Dr. Bad Touch

lolwut? 4100? What answers are you getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

That's so weird.

I think when your brain's dealing with the addition of the smaller numbers it rolls 90 over to 1000 instead of 100 when adding the last 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭allydylan

i got 4,000

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Scealta_saol

It caught me out :( I got 5000

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

Didnt expect that to happen but i actually did get 5000 when counting and 4100 by calculator... weird.

• Advertisement
Advertisement