Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Fest - New Cinema Event for Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

anonjoe555 wrote: »
    iv one spare if ur interested

Only seeing this now :( Thanks anyway, hope you enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Surprise movie its the room!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,903 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Hit and run. Decent enough movie, biro don't think I would have rushed out to see it in other circumstances.

Better choice than yesterday anyway. Bring on looper!

Looper was great. A must see for everyone.
    Thanks to movies.ie for the great festival and thanks to all the people helping out. I really enjoyed myself and will look forward to going next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Much to my surprise I liked Premium Rush a lot more than Looper.

Overall an enjoyable fest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

Premium Rush was a ton of fun.

Hit and Run was a total abortion.

Looper was okay.

I was really disappointed with the studio footage. It was mostly just trailers that we've all seen before and then half an hour of that Christmas animated thing. They should've got some Comic Con stuff like last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 jack_edson

Really Looper, worth waiting for. One of my top movies of the year, in fact. Premium rush was solid fun, as was Hit and run.

Footage was mainly trailers I had seen before which was a little disappointing but I still enjoyed them. A few clips were good , especially from Byzantium. Really looking forward to that now and Hansel and Gretel looks a bit of craic too. The Martin McDonagh one was too short, could have tagged the trailer on to it too I thought.

Overall I thought it was really good. I was lucky not to have my seat taken but quite a few were and thought there was a lot of attitude going around about it. People turning up at the end and stuff like that. If there were people invited they should have had seats kept from the start but it is a small gripe. Same again next year please

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Went along to this on Saturday. Great day bar the mystery film which was a little disappointing tbh. For that kind of audience it felt like a little slap in the face. Even noticed a handful of people walking out during it. I know it's a mystery film and all but it was such an anti-climax to the day given how good the previous two movies were.

Para-Norman was very enjoyable and absolutely loved Stitches. I think I enjoyed the latter moreso given that I knew nothing about it and had zero expectations.
    That umbrella death scene was absolutely brilliant.
    Very cleverly scripted too I thought.

'Wreck It Ralph' looks like great fun and the clips they showed backed that up. Only gripe was
    that they had a scene in which Ralph explains how he won a coin from one of the other video game worlds. It's a minor spoiler but kinda annoyed me a little.

'Life Of Pi' looks outstanding. Really can't wait to see it. The two clips shown (especially the first one) was excellent.

Die Hard 5 "trailer"... Laughable. All it was, was just old clips from the previous 4 films with a load of big bold text flying across the screen. No new footage whatsoever. What was the point... seriously??!!??

Very well organised I have to say and will definitely attend next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Was there yesterday as well.

Thought Premium Rush was solid, although it has all been done before.
    Although it is hard to take the main bad guy as a threat as he is portrayed as a joke from the start.

Looper was really good, the ending was a bit telegraphed but it was nice to see something that strayed from the standard and kept time travel below Primer levels of confusion.:pac:

Hit and Run was meh....a couple of laughs, a couple of jokes which were supposed to be edgy (racism, homophobia, and rape) which didn't really work, and the cast were terrible. Kristen Bell seems to be morphing into Leslie Mann and the male lead is always going to be the annoying guy from Punk'd.

Gotta agree with the poster who said about the seats being taken. It's just bad form, if you couldn't be arsed putting in the effort to get there in time to get a decent seat just make do with what you get. Didn't happen to me but noticed it happening numerous times after each break, although to be fair to the staff they seemed to sort it out for everyone despite one woman complaining that she should be entitled to sit where she wants because it was general admission.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭AllWasWell

Really enjoyed the weekend and looking forward to next year..

I loved Paranorman it was fantastic and Stitches was good fun. I was disappointed with the mystery film on Saturday, especially with all the hype it was given. When it first started I thought it was Glee the movie! It was enjoyable enough to watch on the big screen and there was a few laughs in it but other than that I definitely wouldn't go to see it again or recommend it to anyone.

Sunday was much better..Premium Rush was absolutely fantastic, a brilliant action film and something I would watch again even just to look at JGL :D! I thought Hit and Run was terrible and struggled to keep awake to watch it. That was the least of all the films at the fest. And Looper was brilliant! I had been looking forward to it for so long it didn't let me down.

Overall it was a great mix of films covering a lot of genres and it was very well organised. I'll definitely be going next year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭fishtastico

I went both days and enjoyed it on the whole, but do agree with most of the major gripes. Hit and Run was woeful, but there's no accounting for taste, I suppose. Can't really blame them, though I suspect they knew that Rise of the Guardians wasn't really made for the audience in attendance.

They seriously need to get their act together as regards the seating. There were no announcements made about the "same seats" system, and this led to arguments all over the place, especially on the Sunday. If the policy is free seating, then that should also be announced in lieu of that shocking Fight Club reference made on both days. A small announcement before each session is all it would take, but as it is, it's pretty ambiguous. I'm in no way fussy about my seating, so either way works for me, but I understand that many people came early just to get good seats. It's unfair for them to have to fight to keep their seats before every session.

I was pretty pissed off at the phone retrieval system on the Saturday, as I (and several others) who had queued close to the walls were told that the queue started on the other side, only to find that people were still queueing where we had been originally (so we never managed to join the bloody queue until the guy let us cut in front of people). However, they seemed to get their act together on the Sunday so I can't fault them on that. I just didn't appreciate being treated like a stupid child who doesn't know how to queue by someone who can't organise the thing in the first place!

Overall though, I loved the weekend and I think the organisers did a fantastic job. I sound like I'm doing a lot of complaining, but we need more of this and I've been spreading the positivity to anyone that asks about it. I'm only giving out on here for a bitching session because most of you already like the event.

PS: Whoever was sitting at the front around seats 10-20 and farted at the start of Hit and Run needs to get their bowel health checked, because that was one of the vilest, longest-lingering farts that has ever found its way into my nostrils.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I really dodged a bullet there by just not bringing my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 anonjoe555

anyone know what the camera crew were filming for and if we'll ever get to see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

quick question about the phone blackout, were they running on the honour system or were they actively searching people?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Sarxos

Just in case anyone was interested in what was shown on each day here is the rundown:
    Day 1
    Day 2

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishash

Just wondering has anybody heard anything about this event taking place this year. Went the last two years and enjoyed it greatly.

The first was in august 2011 and the second in september 2012.

irishash wrote: »
    Just wondering has anybody heard anything about this event taking place this year. Went the last two years and enjoyed it greatly.

The first was in august 2011 and the second in september 2012.

+1

I would also love to know.
    I wonder will the fact the screen is now IMAX make a difference.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Cineworld won't rent out their IMAX screen for the day. If it happens it'll be in one of the other screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

Any updates on this? Is it on again this year?

By this time last year they had announced Moviefest. The big screen being Imax probably means that it would be too expensive to hire. Hopefully I am wrong, but i don't think it looks too good.
    Maybe they could put it in a smaller screen (I think screen 9 is not a whole lot smaller) or another cinema (imagine hiring the big screen of the Savoy). I really enjoyed last year so I hope it goes on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭Poochie05

By this time last year they had announced Moviefest. The big screen being Imax probably means that it would be too expensive to hire. Hopefully I am wrong, but i don't think it looks too good.
    Maybe they could put it in a smaller screen (I think screen 9 is not a whole lot smaller) or another cinema (imagine hiring the big screen of the Savoy). I really enjoyed last year so I hope it goes on.

No it was the start of August last year when they announced it, this time last year we were all getting a bit anxious that there was no info available. ;)

Hopefully it will be going ahead this year again, I really enjoyed it both previous years.

Poochie05 wrote: »
    No it was the start of August last year when they announced it, this time last year we were all getting a bit anxious that there was no info available. ;)

Hopefully it will be going ahead this year again, I really enjoyed it both previous years.

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought that, by this time last year, they had put on the website that moviefest 2012 was coming soon, and then the details came in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought that, by this time last year, they had put on the website that moviefest 2012 was coming soon, and then the details came in August.
    Well I just checked back on this thread and yes there was a 'coming soon' placeholder but I would imagine that was because people were panicking on this thread as the previous year the event was in early August but even the actual dates for 2012 were not announced until 1st August announcement, so I reckon sit tight for another while, but keep your fingers crossd! They (or people in the know) seem to follow this thread so maybe we'll get an update soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Not so long ago someone asked about it on Cineworlds facebook and I seem to remember the response was pretty positive they have a couple of other big screens they could host it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishash

Update from Movies.ie :

"We were hoping to do Movie Fest this summer but not everything fell into place, we couldn't get our hands on enough footage from San Diego's comic con so we decided not to make any formal announcements for a 2013 event.

We are bowled over by the amount of people contacting us about it, we didn't think it was so popular. We're still talking to studios about exclusive footage/movie screenings, so maybe something will happen later in the year. We'll keep you posted."

So it seems as if they are not having as much success as in previous years in getting the studio support. I hope this changes and the event goes ahead in september again. I have a friend who is going to travel from the UK for it and it would be a disappointment if it does not go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭mitsybaby

Update from Movies.ie :

"We were hoping to do Movie Fest this summer but not everything fell into place, we couldn't get our hands on enough footage from San Diego's comic con so we decided not to make any formal announcements for a 2013 event.

We are bowled over by the amount of people contacting us about it, we didn't think it was so popular. We're still talking to studios about exclusive footage/movie screenings, so maybe something will happen later in the year. We'll keep you posted."

So it seems as if they are not having as much success as in previous years in getting the studio support. I hope this changes and the event goes ahead in september again. I have a friend who is going to travel from the UK for it and it would be a disappointment if it does not go ahead.

It sold out both years... How did they not know it was popular?? I hope they manage to get it together!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Update from Movies.ie :

It prob doesn't help there's a Dublin Comic Con this year, alot of the exclusive footage from San Diego will prob go to that, leaving MovieFest with very little to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

didn't think DCC got any footage for movies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,395 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Surely most people go to these for the preview screenings of full films rather than the ****ty trailers / Marketing approved 'behind the scenes' nonsense? I know the whole thing was founded on the Comic Con stuff, but certainly when I went the first year all the PR bull**** was just a slightly annoying distraction before the films themselves. Time, IMO, to just focus on a marathon of upcoming releases. If they get some filler, all well and good, but perhaps shift their emphasis: the films, not the trailers and short previews, should be the selling point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 jack_edson

I'm guessing this is dead in the water then?

Advertisement