Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Haymaking in Donegal Sunday 24th

• 29-07-2011 10:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭

Me on the wee International, me mate Conor on the baler ! Cut it Thursday evening baled Sunday evening, 585 bales on circa 5-5.5 acres unreal stuff the weather really worked out well !
    SDC12461.jpg
    SDC12460.jpg
    SDC12456.jpg
    SDC12455.jpg
    SDC12454.jpg
    SDC12453.jpg
    SDC12452.jpg
    SDC12450.jpg
    SDC12449.jpg
    SDC12448.jpg
    SDC12447.jpg
    SDC12446.jpg
    SDC12445.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Very nice,
    Tidy outfit all round!
    Lots of memories of the auld lad in the summer ranking hay with the Dexta.
    Could only do the headlands because the wee Dexta couldn't lift the haybob high enough to clear the ranks.
    Once headlands were baled flat to the mat to stay in front :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Nice crop.
    Did you draw it in that evening or did you stack it knots out to the bottom.

Do we all live on the same Island at all. Weather in midlands last Sunday was s***e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭Ford4000

We drew it in, i would of liked to have stooked it for a day but the weather was giving showers Monday moning, and yes the rain came so thankfully all was in, i had 2 or 3 burst bales left in the field and they were well wet. Saturday and Sunday were 2 scorchers up ere Sunday was the ideal hayday really strong sun and a light breeze only for that i wouldnt of got it ! My mate was in Mountbellew at the vintage show and he said the weather was very patchy down the midlands-west alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

That worked out very nice for you!

We have hay down, rowed up fit to bale, baler on the way and the rain last wed got to us first. I was sick as a small hospital!
    Left it in the rows yesterday, kicked it out today again. A dry night tonight and dry tomorrow and we should get it.
    Fingers crossed!

Bizzum wrote: »
    That worked out very nice for you!

We have hay down, rowed up fit to bale, baler on the way and the rain last wed got to us first. I was sick as a small hospital!
    Left it in the rows yesterday, kicked it out today again. A dry night tonight and dry tomorrow and we should get it.
    Fingers crossed!

Hope it works out for ya !
    Went to Wicklow Tuesday morning and seen a good few bits of hay down on my travels then, most of it still down on my way home this afternoon obviously midlands weather has been fairly broken ! Feckin raggin i know how u feel !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

you must have got a fair number of bales there. I bet a bale slegh would be a welcome addition to that set-up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

First CLAAS pics!! what part of Donegal? Wouldn't have minded seeing that outfit!!

yourpics wrote: »
    First CLAAS pics!! what part of Donegal? Wouldn't have minded seeing that outfit!!

Ardara ! Another lad up here bales with an older fendt farmer and a claas markant, another bales with a ford 4000 and a markant, the dominant is an unreal yoke to spit out the bales !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

nice work...farming and photography:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

...oh, the sweet smell of fresh hay. Not many doing that around my area now. All gone to the bigger baler.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Really well done on the photographs- and of course saving the hay.
    Love to see more photos if you have them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Not too dissimilar to ourselves. made square bales for the first time in probably 10 years. Took this video a few weeks back, but made another 500 last week. The finest of stuff

282092_10150248221497284_500972283_7730584_7379107_n.jpg

281648_10150248221572284_500972283_7730585_2615718_n.jpg

284602_10150248221697284_500972283_7730589_1651580_n.jpg

268373_10150248221782284_500972283_7730591_2953929_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

every tractor you have has a loader!!
    great vid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

More great pics. What is it about making hay that captures the imaqgination so much, just looking at the pics, I can nearly smell the mixtures of hot engine, dust, hay and usually sweat!

We got our own bit baled yesterday, as the clouds were gathering, we had rain within an hour of finishing.
    I was in work yesterday morning and seen a few lads at hay.
    The weather is far from ideal for hay making and yet it's raining no real amounts, just enough to do damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Bizzum wrote: »
    More great pics. What is it about making hay that captures the imaqgination so much, just looking at the pics, I can nearly smell the mixtures of hot engine, dust, hay and usually sweat!

You forgot to add te taste of the first cold beer after the job was done.

Sitting here in London longing to be back farming.

Then the head kicks in and reminds of Winter

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Then the head kicks in and reminds of Winter

Yes- my reality check is lambing at 3AM in -18 degrees, and the hot water we brought from the house is freezing over, before we get to use it....... thank god we got rid of those sheep.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Suckler

got hay baled this week, wanted small squares but contractor broke something in his baler + we didnt let him know we wanted hay made on time, thought it would have to be wrapped to be honest given the weather.

Edit 1 : Only 46 round bales off 9 acres
    Edit: How so I upload a pic from my hard drive??:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Suckler wrote: »
    got hay baled this week, wanted small squares but contractor broke something in his baler + we didnt let him know we wanted hay made on time, thought it would have to be wrapped to be honest given the weather.

Edit 1 : Only 46 round bales off 9 acres
    Edit: How so I upload a pic from my hard drive??:confused:

yea only got mine baled today. Pretty poor stuff to say the least but had to get it up off the field. This weather is a real sickner this year.
    Was a lovely meadow if the weather had held up for one more day last wednesday. The joys of farming.

Advertisement