Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quiet places to bring someone

Options
  • 29-07-2011 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭

Are there any quiet pubs/restaurants in town?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

quite what?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Muddy Maher's is quite the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Galway Arms is also quite the pub.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Merch wrote: »
    quite what?

Quite, it's quiet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Thread title is misleading... Thought it might get interesting, but no.... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Ficheall wrote: »
    Muddy Maher's is quite the pub.

I was in there recently and they'd run out of beer (almost) :eek:
    Had only Bavaria and Guinness I think, staff said the owner had let the kegs go dry. I know he's been having trouble with getting business, and I wondered was it going to fold? Pity if it did, nice place, good music sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Fine.

Muddy Maher's is quiet the pub. :P

And aye, things don't seem too hectic in there. We go there every Wednesday and Sunday for chess, and make up most of the patrons most of the time. It's a shame for the pub that chess players are so effing tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭mary90

I think beirhaus is quite the pub, and its also nice spot for quiet drink :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Will be a shame if Muddys doesnt work out. Sunday afternoons and Thursdays are brilliant in there but other nights are dead.
    90% of people in Galway dont know it exists. Im always on to him to advertise it a bit but he doesnt seem to do anything about it.
    The lack of beer is crazy. I and others would be there a lot more if he had something we would enjoy drinking. He has even stopped doing Hooker now which I know was selling quite well.
    I know he reads Boards so Ill probably be barred when I go for my pre-Horslips pint lol but Ive said it all to him before anyway.
    He has the music thing right so hopefully he can get his act together on the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

How quiet or quite does the OP want it. Murphy's or Freaney's maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

inisboffin wrote: »
    Had only Bavaria and Guinness I think, staff said the owner had let the kegs go dry. I know he's been having trouble with getting business, and I wondered was it going to fold? Pity if it did, nice place, good music sometimes.

You serious? I live around the corner and there always seems like there's a good crowd in there. :/

xo.mary wrote: »
    inisboffin wrote: »

You serious? I live around the corner and there always seems like there's a good crowd in there. :/

Sadly yeah. It's a pity, but it often dead in there.

Bit of a coincidence after my last post but I just switched on Rascal Radio and they are advertising tonight/tomorrow nights gig in Muddys. Its being sponsored by Rascal so I presume thats why.
    Three punkish type bands so I presume that means there will be no cider left for the Sunday afternoon gig :-(
    Might have a look tomorrow actually as the little clips they played sounded ok.
    First time tuning into Rascal as well. Not a bad station. Lot better than IOU2 or whatever they call themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Start in Cookes restaurant, walk down to Cookes thatch bar?

Bit of a coincidence after my last post but I just switched on Rascal Radio and they are advertising tonight/tomorrow nights gig in Muddys. Its being sponsored by Rascal so I presume thats why.
    Three punkish type bands so I presume that means there will be no cider left for the Sunday afternoon gig :-(
    Might have a look tomorrow actually as the little clips they played sounded ok.
    First time tuning into Rascal as well. Not a bad station. Lot better than IOU2 or whatever they call themselves.

About time. So the 'blues music pub' concept is going eh..
    I suppose whatever it takes to put beer in a keg.
    Yeah, Rascal is good.

OP, it depends, long weekend, all is busy. Some 'old man' pubs will be quieter, but it really depends what you are looking for along with the quietness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

McSwiggans down the back is usually quiet, though I was in the wrote off last Wednesday and I think I was a bit loud.

But i'm not planning on being there again for ages so thats quiet

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Quiet in general, or quiet this bank holiday weekend?

If the latter, then good luck with that ... :p

Maybe the Park House or Foster Court

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Phantom Crapper

Was in Muddys the other week. It seems that the Rascal gig falls under the anything-but-trad music policy. In fairness the 21 Out band were very blues oriented. The anything but trad line should be used in their advertisments. Galway could do with supporting a bar that stays well away from trad music. A member of staff told me that the foreign beers just werent selling and are being replaced by more known beer brands.
    nice bar anyway IMO.

Was in Muddys the other week. It seems that the Rascal gig falls under the anything-but-trad music policy. In fairness the 21 Out band were very blues oriented. The anything but trad line should be used in their advertisments. Galway could do with supporting a bar that stays well away from trad music. A member of staff told me that the foreign beers just werent selling and are being replaced by more known beer brands.
    nice bar anyway IMO.

I think they're trying everything to get bodies in! One or 2 of the bands I reallylike aren't playing there any more,so I don't go in as much tbh. That and the poor beer choice put me off. I loved the fact that they were going with decent blues bands, but think they didn't stick one thing, as they were trying lots of ideas it seems. Pity, a solid blues pub is needed.

In terms of the beers, that may just be spin by the staff tbh. I saw at least 2 groups leave when they heard the lack of beer selection, and that was just one night I was in! The gang I was with would have gone in equally for decent brew and the music, now they go elsewhere like the Townhouse or Salthouse.

Bavaria and 'non trad' may get a different crowd. But for me I liked how it was.

Hooker was back over the weekend. He might be listening.
    That third band were alright on Sat but vocals were a bit dodgy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭AnnaVanilla

Cookes or Nimmos are nice, quiet restaurants. The Crane bar for a pint after :)

Muddys literally (yes I know its prob wrong context but it sounds right) hit the bottom of the barrell during the Blues session yesterday. Absolutly nothing on tap.
    Hardened Guinness drinkers ended up drinking bottles of Sol while the more astute people were buying their stuff from Hughes' and bringing it in.

Never before has the 'piss up in a brewery' saying seemed so true.

Muddys literally (yes I know its prob wrong context but it sounds right) hit the bottom of the barrell during the Blues session yesterday. Absolutly nothing on tap.
    Hardened Guinness drinkers ended up drinking bottles of Sol while the more astute people were buying their stuff from Hughes' and bringing it in.

Never before has the 'piss up in a brewery' saying seemed so true.

Oh dear. I was afraid things were going that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Phantom Crapper

Yearragh that was unfortunate. Running out of guinness must have caught them unawares. I don't drink the stuff so I wasnt bothered. most people drank something else as far as I could see. the session was super. best one for a while. They said that carlsberf is coming in this week in stead of some of the foreign beers so we will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,500 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The Library.

Muddys fully stocked again. Guinness, Heineken, Carlsberg, Bulmers. Full fridges and top shelf. Hard to know whats happening with him. Salsa/Funk band coming Sat.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭AnnaVanilla

Yearragh that was unfortunate. Running out of guinness must have caught them unawares. I don't drink the stuff so I wasnt bothered. most people drank something else as far as I could see. the session was super. best one for a while. They said that carlsberf is coming in this week in stead of some of the foreign beers so we will see.

You mean Carlsberg? Which is Danish... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 unachicagilmore

Muddys fully stocked again. Guinness, Heineken, Carlsberg, Bulmers. Full fridges and top shelf. Hard to know whats happening with him. Salsa/Funk band coming Sat.

Was there last Thurs night. A rock and roll band was playing and loads of people dancing. Brilliant buzz. Bar much better stocked that the last time I was there.

Yep Thursdays are class.

• Advertisement
Advertisement