Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How men view gay women.

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

well **** happens...ya gotta get a tougher skin...i`m sure it happens to gay men,straight men,men who dress differently,fat people ,skinny people, short people ,tall people, black people ,white people ,yellow people...my point is that your not the only one that this sort of thing happens to...so if you wanna be out `n` proud then i suggest you stop caring what other people say and do and just concentrate on your own happiness....
    Certainly used to happen to priests, from what I'm told. Maybe the whole forbidden fruit thing is a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I agree that what he suggests ('converting' gay women) is ridiculous. However, how many women who have relationships with other women are exclusively gay? Or more of interest, how many are not exclusively gay?

Not all women who will have relationships with other women are exclusively gay. Some are bisexual. Some are bi-curious. Some who identify as gay will have had sex with men upon occasion. I've dated more than my fair share of bisexual and bi-curious women. I've even dated a lesbian. So they do certainly exist.

I think there's a lot of discomfort, from what I can make out, in the gay and lesbian community on this issue politically, so it tends to get played down a lot, but I also believes that it does happen a lot.

Certainly the argument that "if I gave her one she would not be gay any more" is juvenile nonsense, however there is something behind it too.

I hate to break it to you and her but if you, a man, were dating a woman, then she was not a lesbian. She was bi-curious, bi-sexually-curious if you had sex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I hate to break it to you and her but if you, a man, were dating a woman, then she was not a lesbian. She was bi-curious, bi-sexually-curious if you had sex.
    This is how she self-identified when I first knew her and had not been in a relationship with a man for at least ten years.

So whatever label you want to attach to her is your, and her, prerogative. I don't particularly care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Maybe I'm missing something, but it's hardly news that two girls will get stick for being intimate with each other in a pub.

If I were gay, I would have to accept that overt displays of intimacy with another man, in most public locations in Ireland, would lead to hassle, and very possibly violence.
    I'd probably conclude that it wouldn't be worth it.

Ireland, along with the rest of the civilised world, has come a long way in a relatively short space of time as regards levels of homophobia, but it's very far from perfect.

Not right and not fair. But that's how it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

JayRoc wrote: »

Not right and not fair. But that's how it is.
    which makes walking out of the bar with the hottest woman there just that much more enjoyable.

edit: just btw, I wouldn't be intimate with someone in a public place in general, the issue generally arise when men think that two girls are there for their enjoyment only. I was out with someone there last week and the fact that we were obviously a couple didn't really seem to register with most of the men in the place as they all considered her fair game and had a go at chatting her up anyway. Tbf though, she is **** hawt and I just felt great knowing that she had no interest in them at all and was happy to leave with me. It was like kicking them all in the balls at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I have to say, apart from the odd double take, myself and my girlfriend rarely get any hassle or comments. Now, to be fair we tend not to go in for PDA's while we're out and about, just because it's not our style, but we'll hold hands, quick pecks when we meet, etc. We go to both straight and gay bars- usually straight bars because they have better whiskeys!! ;) But the straight bars we go to tend to cater to an older crowd, rather than the young, nightclubby types. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

My girlfriend gets chatted up by guys a lot more than I do, mostly because she "looks straight". I must say I get a big kick when she points to me and says she's my fiancee. Heheh. Most blokes just smile and wander off, or else have a chat about random stuff then!

Advertisement