Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help, Build vs Pre built

Options
  • 29-07-2011 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a mate who is looking at getting a new pc. He wants to be able to hook it up to his flat screen tv and be able to:

* Do a lot of downloading

* Stream live tv/ Watch HD movies etc

* Web browing

* Gaming.

He was onto me today asking me about a Dell xps 830.

Intel core i5-2310 2.90ghz
    4gb Ram dual ddr3 1333mhz
    1Tb sata 7200rpm
    1gb amd Radeon hd 6450 graphics card
    TV Tuner Hybrid
    €840

Would anybody here please give hardwareversand.de a quick visit and throw something super together that will do all the main things he wants and be even better. The lower the cost the better but i take it up to 800 would be ok.

TIA.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

This would completely destroy either of those builds, and is probably overkill. It doesn't have a TV card because I'm not too sure whats good/bad. I would guess any cheap would should do the job though.

Total build cost: €665.01 + €30 shipping
    Intel Core i5-2400 Box, LGA1155 €152.14
    Xigmatek Asgard, ATX, ohne Netzteil, schwarz €31.61
    MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SB-Version Englisch €81.22
    MSI H61M-E33 (B3), Intel H61, mATX, DDR3 €52.98
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II (HD103SJ) €45.14
    Samsung SH-222AB bare schwarz SATA €17.00
    Club 3D Radeon 6950 1024MB, AMD Radeon HD 6950, PCI-Express €188.59
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W €52.60
    8GB-Kit G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-10667U CL9 €43.73

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Thanks for that.

Not sure about the tv tuners myself.

I will try to convice him that if he goes with a pre buil he will sell himself short.

One thing that i might have a problem with is if something goes wrong. How do you resolve an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

my HTPC is more powerful than that dell build, seriously, does dell actually sell the 6450 as a gaming card?

OP if you're worried about the german and distance on hardwareversand.de (not that you should be) then use scan.co.uk

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    OP if you're worried about the german and distance on hardwareversand.de (not that you should be) then use scan.co.uk

The thing about the german site is that if something breaks you need to send back to german to get fixed.

Also there are a lot of things that are listed that you dont need to add in if you dont want. Cooling gel? A 3.5" folppy drive? I actually managed to add one of them by mistake to a build while checking out that site.

Also little things like number of usb ports, hdmi ports, etc. Hard to tell whats what. Thats what i find difficult about that site.

Thanks for the otehr link, will check that out now.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    scan.co.uk
    Wow they're expensive compared to the german site.

Had another mess about with that german site. Is this ok? Not up to speed on motherboards or tv cards. And i assumed he has a copy of windows with his current pc.

HVZPCDE Rechner - Zusammenbau
    ready for dispatch
    20,00 €

HV23ELDTDE Elgato Eye TV DTT Deluxe V2
    ready for dispatch
    60,99 €

HV20G328DE 8GB-Kit G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-10667U CL9
    ready for dispatch
    43,73 €

HV1130RODE ASRock H67M-ITX (B3), Sockel 1155
    ready for dispatch
    74,45 €

HV1032DKDE Club3D Geforce GTX560 Ti, 1024MB
    ready for dispatch
    186,55 €

HVR550SADE Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W
    ready for dispatch
    52,60 €

HV203L31DE Lian Li PC-Q08B Mini-ITX Tower-Cube - schwarz
    ready for dispatch from 2011-09-06
    80,46 €

HV20I7K6DE Intel Core i7-2600K Box, LGA1155
    ready for dispatch
    254,75 €

HV13WR5SDE WD AV-GP 1,5TB, 64MB Cache, SATA II (WD15EURS)
    ready for dispatch
    61,02 €

HV207N05DE Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7260S, SATA, Schwarz, bulk
    ready for dispatch
    17,84 €

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Are you aware that that's a very small motherboard? If size is a priority, that's OK. Otherwise there are better options in the same price region.

I wouldn't get a "green" drive as an OS drive.
    You could get a large fast drive -or- small faster drive + large green drive -or- SSD + large green drive.

2500K is better value in general mainstream applications.

Do you need windows in there?

Monotype wrote: »
    Are you aware that that's a very small motherboard? If size is a priority, that's OK. Otherwise there are better options in the same price region.

2500K is better value in general mainstream applications.

Do you need windows in there?

Eh no. I wasnt aware of that. I am mainboard noob. Dont know what is good and what is bad!!!

Just want something that will be quick to boot, works well and wont be out of date in 3months ( if thats possible :D )

And I was working on the assumption that he has a windows disk with his current pc he can use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

The Fractal Design R3 is a very quiet case with soundproofing.

The Asrock P67 Pro3 is a good board with all the modern essentials, but you'll have to fork out more for the luxuries of multiple graphics cards. The P67 and Z68 boards allow you to overclock the 2500K very easily. You can bump up the speed by quite a bit with these boards, so it'll be quite a while before it's outdated.

If you want something that will boot quickly, an SSD is the way to go. As they're small, you'd still need another drive.
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=46113

Monotype wrote: »

The Asrock P67 Pro3 is a good board with all the modern essentials, but you'll have to fork out more for the luxuries of multiple graphics cards. The P67 and Z68 boards allow you to overclock the 2500K very easily. You can bump up the speed by quite a bit with these boards, so it'll be quite a while before it's outdated.

If you want something that will boot quickly, an SSD is the way to go. As they're small, you'd still need another drive.
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=46113

Thanks for that.

There would be no attempt to overclock or anything. It would be a case of buy it, set it up, use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

maybe stick a Blu-ray drive into seeing as its going to be used as a htpc?
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=44965&agid=856

• Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

maybe stick a Blu-ray drive into seeing as its going to be used as a htpc?
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=44965&agid=856

Advertisement