Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop aftersales problems

Options
  • 29-07-2011 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi, I'm a bit stuck as to what to do next. I purchased a laptop in January in my local computer store. It worked perfectly for about a month and a half and then the left click stopped working. I went researching to see if I could fix it myself and I tried all the suggestions on the forums but to no avail.
    I brought it back to the store I brought it in to see what I could do next and they suggested I contact aftersales support as this particular brand of computer had a dedicated one and my warranty should cover it.
    I tried this but I was told I would have to pay over 160 euros for the repair.
    I don't think this is right. I should be entitled to a repair or a replacement? Am I right in thinking that and if I am who is liable?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

you have to bring it back again to the shop you purchased it from as the seller has a contract with you when you purchased it. it will not cost you any money as they have to repair or replace it as you are still in warranty.

you're laptop is only 7 months old. bring it back asap and tell them that the contract is with you and the seller and they have to repair or replace it under the sale of goods and supply of services Act 1980.

learn your rights as a consumer... http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/Guides-to-Consumer-Law/Shopping/faults.html#replacements

no matter what the seller in the shop says, demand that they repair or replace the laptop immediately as you know your rights and do not leave until you get this sorted. if you need to, ask for the manager and quote the sale of goods act. let them know you know your rights and they should jump to attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I went researching to see if I could fix it myself and I tried all the suggestions on the forums but to no avail.

If any of these suggestions resulted in you dismantling the machine in any other way beyond what is allowed, i.e. to upgrade RAM or Hard Disk, then I doubt your warranty is still valid ? The company could reasonably assume the damage to the button was caused when you opened the laptop if that's what you did.

If the suggestions only involved drivers or software fixes then they can't take that line. But if the issue turns out not to be hardware but a setting in Control Panel or other user setting then they could charge you for the repair/fix as there is no hardware issue.

Have you tried restoring the machine with the restore disks or restore procedure that came with it ? If you haven't it may be worth your while trying it ?

Ken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭oldmantime

If any of these suggestions resulted in you dismantling the machine in any other way beyond what is allowed, i.e. to upgrade RAM or Hard Disk, then I doubt your warranty is still valid ?

- things like this are a bit inaccurate, warranty is generally less of an obligation than they have under statute. If they refuse to fix it and you can demonstrate that the opening of it didn't damage it then they should have to replace it. It may void your warranty but it can't erase your rights

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

oldmantime wrote: »
    - things like this are a bit inaccurate, warranty is generally less of an obligation than they have under statute. If they refuse to fix it and you can demonstrate that the opening of it didn't damage it then they should have to replace it. It may void your warranty but it can't erase your rights

Not quite following you here. If someone dismantles a faulty product and attempts to repair it despite warnings and seals on the product warning against user intrusion, makes a mess of it and brings it back, they are entitled to have it repaired under statutory warranty ? I can't see many shops or manufacturers letting that happen without a fight !!

Can you point to a specific section in the legislation about such a situation ? I had a look through it but couldn't see any mention of it.

Ken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

looks like o.p has blanked us all so there is no point in giving information to a dead thread imo. :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Touch pad probably needs replacing what's the make and model?

Advertisement