Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doggie bags in restuarants

Options
  • 29-07-2011 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭

Hi all

In the past week in 2 different restaurants I left behind a very generous portion of a delicious homemade apple & cinnamon pie and a spaghetti with meatballs, as I was so full.

I thought a few days afterwards why didn't I ask for a doggie bag to take the left overs home? It annoyed me as it's not like to me leave behind so much food, they just happened to be huge portions.

Would you guys ask for your food to go if you couldn't finish it, or is it really a no no in Irish restaurants. Any time I eat out in America, I see plenty of people leaving with doggie bags.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Hi all

In the past week in 2 different restaurants I left behind a very generous portion of a delicious homemae apple & cinnamon pie and a spaghetti with meatballs, as I was so full.

I thought a few days afterwards why didn't I ask for a doggie bag to take the left overs home? It annoyed me as it's not like to me leave behind so much food, they just happened to be huge portions.

Would you guys ask for your food to go if you couldn't finish it, or is it really a no no in Irish restaurants. Any time I eat out in America, so see plenty of people leaving with doggie bags.

I'd like to but can imagine the look I'd get

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

We always do it and have never had a problem with any of the restaurants we've asked at. You're paying for it anyway and why not! Though, I'm such a savage there's never much left over :o

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Never thought it might be an issue asking for a doggie bag. Nearly every time I go out to dinner I'll pack up the left overs. Better eaten for brekkie/lunch the next day than in the bin surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dubh101

Having worked in many Restaurants I can say that this is common practice and not at all frowned upon as the last reply said better taken home than in the bin,where leftovers are put,I often get a doggy bag myself.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

say its for ur cat/dog and when you come home he will be looking at you expecting something brought back, crack a joke about it, simples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I do it regularly. Never been an issue - no matter what class of establishment I've been in.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

dubh101 wrote: »
    Having worked in many Restaurants I can say that this is common practice and not at all frowned upon as the last reply said better taken home than in the bin,where leftovers are put,I often get a doggy bag myself.:)

Yeah if anything you're doing them a favour, I'd also always do it when the opportunity comes up and love when it is offered.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

This is interesting. In America, it was offered straight out by servers when you're plate wasn't clean, but I've never done it here (except for one AMAZING restaurant in West Kerry where the portions are unmanageably big). I'd actually like to do it from time to time, and I'm glad to hear it's fairly common :).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I, too, do this all the time. Will sometimes take unfinished wine home too.
    Whyever not?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Having a dog, we do ask for a doggie bag. Esp if there are bones or bits of meat left.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

I've a small appetite so I do it all the time. I often get lunch and dinner the next day out of my meal! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭SlinkyKittin

Yup, I'd always ask and the same with wine, especially if we were driving, have a glass with the meal and the rest when home to round off the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭CWone

I have taken wine home a few times but never food - will do it next time though since from what I've read here it wouldn't be frowned on:pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Have only done it once in Dublin - took home the left over dessert from Chez Max. Biggest piece of cake ever!

In the US at the moment, and as Faith says, if your plate's not clear they'll just automatically ask if you want it to go. Have gotten many a lunch/dinner the next day from leftovers, great money saver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I always do it here, if it's an amount worth keeping.

You'd be mad not to do it in the US, the portions are almost offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

I tend to only buy food that fits in my stomach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I tend to only buy food that fits in my stomach.

Ask to see a photo before ordering in restaurants, do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I see no problem with it at all. Not so long ago I was in an Indian restaurant and their starters were so filling that by the time our mains arrived we had space for a couple forkfuls only. When the waiter saw this he asked if the food is okay and he offered to pack it for us in a takeaway box. Sorted out our lunch for the next day - win-win!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Would most restaurants (bar places that also do takeaway) have containers to put the leftover food into?

Maybe I'll start bringing a Tupperware box out with me from now on!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

No need to bring your own container - the kitchen/serving staff can bag it up for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

mhge wrote: »
    I see no problem with it at all. Not so long ago I was in an Indian restaurant and their starters were so filling that by the time our mains arrived we had space for a couple forkfuls only. When the waiter saw this he asked if the food is okay and he offered to pack it for us in a takeaway box. Sorted out our lunch for the next day - win-win!

I often take home leftover naan bread from Indian restaurants. I love naan but don't need a huge amount with my meal, as I also love rice. The naan is lovely for lunch the next day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

i would ask if i wanted to take it home. been out on a couple of occasions when for some reason i just couldn't make a dent in my mains. those times the wait staff in the restaurant actually asked me would i like to take it home for laters. delighted. i also take home wine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

i do it. only ever had one problem, i asked the waitress for one and she said ok but she seemed startled. she came back with the manager who told me it was against health and safety regulations.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

^^^

Ha!! Having worked in several restaurants, I have never heard of that particular health and safety regulation! They would have been well within their rights to inform you that the restaurant would bear no responsibilty to food that was incorrectly reheated, but otherwise they can't really stop you from taking food that you have paid for.

I have no problems asking for a doggie bag, but there ie seldom anything left on the plate to bring home :o A lot of Irish restaurants wouoldn't have takeaway containers specifically for doggie bagging leftovers, but will go to great pains to wrap food well in tinfoil packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Sooopie

The only place I ask for a doggie bag is in the Elephant and Castle, for me left over chicken wings!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

weemcd wrote: »
    say its for ur cat/dog and when you come home he will be looking at you expecting something brought back, crack a joke about it, simples.

Why would you feel the need to do that?

I've done it a few times and just asked for it to go. I'm paying for it and if it's nice enough to consider taking home with you I can't see how the restaurant would get shirty about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

you paid for it

so you may eat it later!

its a regular occurance in most countries.

it just an irish thing that we dont. your deemed to be 'scabby' or 'poor' if seen/heard asking for a doggy bag

i never ask tho

because i demolish everything on my plate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭narfsnonsense

Just did it myself yesterday. Was hanging and could only manage 2 bites of my lunch. Asked for it in a box and their only worry was that I didn't eat it as the food wasn't good. Explained it was due to copius amounts of wine the night before!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

also, as a by product of the recession, alot of places are doing take outs to increase business.

so they should be in a perfect position to bag/pack stuff properly for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭omah

Irish restaurants need to cop onto better customer service all round - there should be no problem with getting a doggy bag - in a decent take away container. My friend from Canada asked a restaurant in Dublin for a doggy bag and they gave her a plastic bag - ridiculous!

Advertisement