Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doggie bags in restuarants

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Yes I have often done this in many restaurants. It has never been a problem, they usually have white foam boxes, or else those silver foil containers, and are more than happy to oblige. I never knew that some people might think it weird until I read this thread. I think it would be more weird to leave a load of food you've just paid good money for, left behind to be thrown out.

I usually only do it if there's a substantial amount left, I wouldn't bother if there was only a tiny bit left.
    I have been known to ask for a takeaway container for my main, just so I would have room in my tummy for some delicious dessert.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

It was a problem in one restaurant I was in. My friend wanted to take the remains of her dinner home and they refused. She asked why - restaurant policy. Waitress fetched the manager, who explained that there was a risk of food poisoning if the food wasn't reheated properly at the customer's home. My friend said she understood that was her risk, but they were adamant! Must have been sued before or something.

Portion sizes are crazy in come places, so I'd have no issue with bringing food home sometimes, but usually there are no leftovers if my boyfriend is about :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Was that in Cork, Malari?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Faith wrote: »
    Was that in Cork, Malari?

Yep, but not in the city centre...I don't know if I'm allowed name & shame :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Malari wrote: »
    Yep, but not in the city centre...I don't know if I'm allowed name & shame :D

sorry but i would have kicked up a fuss tbh. they are expecting me to pay for the food (obviously i ordered it and therefore would pay for it) but if i cannot finish it at the table the food is mine once i pay for it so i should be allowed to do with it as i please. i cannot understand why anyone would sue for getting food poisoning from not reheating food properly, and don't think they would ever have a case. there is no way i would let the restaurant tell me i couldn't take my leftovers home. id be saying well i am only paying for the amount i ate then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

We often ask for a doggy bag when we're out and there is some meat left over, which we actually give to the dogs! :pac: However, we once got that health and safety waffle thrown at us and they refused to give it to us, claiming that we would eat it ourselves and maybe get food poisoning.

I always take uneaten pizza home with me and everywhere that I've been so far hasn't had a problem with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Malari wrote: »
    I don't know if I'm allowed name & shame :D
    I don't see why not, all you are doing is stating their policy, which they had no shame admitting.

I take it they do not do takeaways either, you never know what people would be getting up to at home ;). It'd be like a woman on checkout in dunnes refusing to sell a young lad some chicken, saying she reckons he mightn't cook it well enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 connorcarroll

I think the celtic tiger ruined us and if you were seen asking for a doogy bag you'd be glared at by both staff and customers.....
    Now we are back in "normal" recessionary times it is seen as the proper thing to do.....
    I have started asking for them and there is no problem..... but i usually never eat it when i get home and end up throwing it out...lol

Advertisement