Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback on St.Johns & St.Colmcill national schools Ballybrack..

Options
  • 29-07-2011 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

to cut a long story short.. we are moving to the Dalkey area in the next 2 wks so my LO will not be entitled to the place in the Primary School she was due to start in September. The above 2 schools will take her & cant get through to most of the others as no one there! She is on the wait list for Loreto Dalkey but doubtful she will get a place as so many ahead of her... at my wits end as can't hold her back a year as she is more than ready to start school.

Comments

Perhaps post/ask a mod to move this post to the South County Dublin forum. There's a far bigger pool of people there familiar with those areas and schools more likely to know your answer.
    There might be a thread on those schools already, do a search in South County Dublin forum fyourself for them. You may find another school there you didn't consider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

I live in the area and was a pupil in St.Johns. That was 20 years ago though, but I never had any problems.

Being from the area, if I had a choice between St.Johns and St. Columbcilles....St.Johns is what I would choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Have you tried Harolds school in Glasthule? That is pretty good and fairly easy to get in to.

When you say the Dalkey area, are you actually in Dalkey because that might make a difference.

Is the school she was supposed to start in convenient to you? if so, I would say nothing and let her start there.

I wouldn't be mad on either of those schools truth be told, my husband went to St. John's and turned out ok though :D definitely seems the better school out of both of those.

My wife went to St Johns. She would have no hesitation sending our daughter there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Is the school she was supposed to start in convenient to you? if so, I would say nothing and let her start there.

I wouldn't be mad on either of those schools truth be told, my husband went to St. John's and turned out ok though :D definitely seems the better school out of both of those.

Not mad on either myself!! but we are in a desperate situation & need to get her sorted for Sept - @ least for Junior Infants!

To be fair it's not a bad school, it wasn't great years ago but it seems to have a lot of parent involvement which I always think is a good thing.

If you have any desire to send your child to a gaeilscoil I think scoil phadraig is pretty easy to get in to. It's also in ballybrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

marley123 wrote: »
    to cut a long story short.. we are moving to the Dalkey area in the next 2 wks so my LO will not be entitled to the place in the Primary School she was due to start in September. The above 2 schools will take her & cant get through to most of the others as no one there! She is on the wait list for Loreto Dalkey but doubtful she will get a place as so many ahead of her... at my wits end as can't hold her back a year as she is more than ready to start school.
    I would say st Johns it's a smaller school but the parents are very involved and know what's going on all the time:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

So which school did you go with in the end?

Ended up getting her a place in a completely different school 2 wks before the schools went back. Great school & my little one is very happy.

• Advertisement

Ended up getting her a place in a completely different school 2 wks before the schools went back. Great school & my little one is very happy.

In Dalkey?

Not Dalkey but 5mins down the road!

Not Dalkey but 5mins down the road!

Oooh cryptic!
    Best of luck, hope your daughter is very happy :)

Thank you all - all going well & its a very well run school - couldnt be happier with it so its all worked out in the end:)

Thank you all - all going well & its a very well run school - couldnt be happier with it so its all worked out in the end:)

I can't think of any schools within 5 minutes of Dalkey that aren't good schools. We are lucky in that respect.

Welcome to the area, it is a great place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

If you're happy with it you should really name it. Bit cheeky asking advice on named schools and then not revealing the school you're happy with.

The Harold School in Glasthule!

I'm amazed at how easy the harold seems to be to get into these days, two children from my daughter's class are gone into first class there and I know quite a few gone in to Junior Infants.

Great school from what I have heard so well done :)

:) There is I think about over 70 Junior Infants in 3 classes! & 580 total students in the school.. seems to be very popular.

A couple of my neighbours took their kids out of castlepark and put them in their, they love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Have only ever heard good things about The Harold School.

Advertisement