Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NGB enabled vs. migrated?

Options
  • 29-07-2011 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭

Currently with Vodafone - not getting good speeds to be honest so considering changing. I see my local exchange (New Ross) is now listed as NGB enabled but not NGB migrated.

I called the Sales line today to enquire and the guy I spoke to told me there is no difference between the two - but I didn't quite believe him (got the feeling he was on commission and more interested in making a sale, to be honest).

I've been impressed with the Eircom support here - seems a small cut above the rest (I didn't have much joy with Vodafone on here) - so I'm wondering how can I tell if I'll get NGB immediately if I switch? How can I tell what my line is actually capable of?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Currently with Vodafone - not getting good speeds to be honest so considering changing. I see my local exchange (New Ross) is now listed as NGB enabled but not NGB migrated.

I called the Sales line today to enquire and the guy I spoke to told me there is no difference between the two - but I didn't quite believe him (got the feeling he was on commission and more interested in making a sale, to be honest).

I've been impressed with the Eircom support here - seems a small cut above the rest (I didn't have much joy with Vodafone on here) - so I'm wondering how can I tell if I'll get NGB immediately if I switch? How can I tell what my line is actually capable of?

Hi Dilbert75,

We are hopeful that the migration for the New Ross exchange will be completed in the next 3-4 weeks.

However customers can directly request to be migrated to the NGB online or through our broadband sales. If you PM your telephone number I can test the bandwidth capacity on your line.

Thanks, Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 disgruntled1

Hi Dilbert75,

We are hopeful that the migration for the New Ross exchange will be completed in the next 3-4 weeks.

However customers can directly request to be migrated to the NGB online or through our broadband sales. If you PM your telephone number I can test the bandwidth capacity on your line.

Thanks, Mark
    Hi Mark,

I live in a suburb of Cork (no NGB) my friend lives in Dublin 4 (no NGB) another near main st. Limerick (no ngb), finding NGB is like finding an honest politiciian? does either really exist :P

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

enabled means they have installed the equipment in the exchange but they have not moved you to an ngb package yet

migrated means you have been moved to an ngb package

you should be moved to vodafones equivalent of eircoms ngb when the migration happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Hi Mark,

I live in a suburb of Cork (no NGB) my friend lives in Dublin 4 (no NGB) another near main st. Limerick (no ngb), finding NGB is like finding an honest politiciian? does either really exist :P

Hi disgruntled1,

I hope so :) We talk about it a lot...:P

Mark

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭mark_79

Hope its okay to bump this thread after a few months, I too am in the exact same situation as the OP. Live in New Ross (NGB enabled but not migrated according to eircom's coverage map), have been having problems with Vodafone and want to switch to eircom. An online test says I can get 8mb but the eircom rep I spoke to over the phone said I can get 24mb.

Could somebody check for me if I provide my details?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

mark_79 wrote: »
    Hope its okay to bump this thread after a few months, I too am in the exact same situation as the OP. Live in New Ross (NGB enabled but not migrated according to eircom's coverage map), have been having problems with Vodafone and want to switch to eircom. An online test says I can get 8mb but the eircom rep I spoke to over the phone said I can get 24mb.

Could somebody check for me if I provide my details?
    mark_79, if you PM me your phone number I will check it out for you. Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I wad previously told my line could do 15Mbit - if I could get 24Mbit, I'd be with Eircom like a flash...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

NOBODY can get 24mbit unless they live IN the exchange. Anything over 20mbits is amazing.

I live about 100 yards from my eircom exchange ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

So what's your line capable of Mark?

• Advertisement

Don't know yet. Eircom reps over the phone and through PM's here have assured me I'll get close to 24mb. I'll be starting switchover proceedings next week and hopefully all goes well. I do know a few people here in town that are getting speeds of over 20mb though.

Slightly related, I have an eircom business line at work (different address but situated on the same street as my home address - which vodafone claim is only capable of getting about five or six mbps) and I get a full 12mbps speed through it.

Advertisement