Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help urgently need to contact school

• 29-07-2011 11:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

Trying to get my DD sorted with a "local school in Dalkey but the 3 I want to talk to are obviously on hols!! How can I get alternative contact details? Contact the local Church??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭Kathnora

Why are you so surprised? Schools always close for holidays during July and August. Do you expect the principal to be at his/her desk for the entire summer holiday period waiting on calls such as yours? While most principals do work in early July and late Aug they are most likely to be on "holiday" at this time.And, it would be customary to book a school place for Sept before the end of the school year when principals are planning their classes for the coming academic year. After getting that "rant" out of the way your best bet is to contact the Parish priest who should have contact details for you.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

You might find it very hard to get a school place at such short notice. The local church will not be able to find you a place. Have you tried emailing the schools?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

Try dropping into the schools. The admin staff take shorter holidays in any schools I have worked in anyway. They may not be answering the phones. I would have imagined that most principals and vice principals would be around the school most days, interviewing, timetables etc, although maybe thats not always needed in a primary school. If not email and you have a month to get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mat cauthon

You should have contacted them prior to the holidays. It never ceases to amaze how little thought and preperation people put into their childrens schooling - it's true for an ex minister - people spend more time checking out the tiling in the new house, than organising schooling.
    You may be incredibly lucky and find a principal popping in. However, you are most likely to be told that you are too late, the classes are full, and you have passed the enrollment date. At best you will be put on a waiting list, in the hope someone is a no show on sept 1st.
    The church has no input into enrollment. Schools in Dalkey are heavily subscribed. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

marley123 wrote: »
    Trying to get my DD sorted with a "local school in Dalkey but the 3 I want to talk to are obviously on hols!! How can I get alternative contact details? Contact the local Church??
    Go to a parent who has a child attending the school they should have a number for the principal. If you dont know a parent contact parish priest find out if one of the priests are on the board of management and ask them for principals number.

• Advertisement

You should have contacted them prior to the holidays. It never ceases to amaze how little thought and preperation people put into their childrens schooling - it's true for an ex minister - people spend more time checking out the tiling in the new house, than organising schooling.
    You may be incredibly lucky and find a principal popping in. However, you are most likely to be told that you are too late, the classes are full, and you have passed the enrollment date. At best you will be put on a waiting list, in the hope someone is a no show on sept 1st.
    The church has no input into enrollment. Schools in Dalkey are heavily subscribed. Good luck.
    Be fair we have no idea of the ops circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

It never ceases to amaze how little thought and preperation people put into their childrens schooling
    It never ceases to amaze how people forget the first rule of boards is "don't be a dick"!
    The church has no input into enrollment.
    Sorry what? Are you serious, naive or just ... see above!

church no input ... lol ... f~cking hilarious ... did you hear the one about the catholic primary school without a priest running it ... neither did I ... oh yeah - that's the joke ... I need some more altar wine ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

am really shocked by some of the replys!! Have been offline for a wk. The people who own the house we are renting are in severe financial difficulty & need to move back in which has left us in a pretty awful position. Couldnt find anything suitable in the " Catchment" area where our LO was due to start school in Sept so have had to move out of the area which means our LO is no longer entitled to the place. . How the hell could I have contacted them prior to the holidays when the whole problem only started a few wks ago???? Have managed to get responses from a few but big wait list & the the poster who said

". It never ceases to amaze how little thought and preperation people put into their childrens schooling - it's true for an ex minister - people spend more time checking out the tiling in the new house, than organising schooling."

You have no clue.. Our 2 childrens names have been down for Secondary schools since they were 12mths old!!!! We were on a very long term lease where we were living with no idea property owners circumstances were going to change!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭Kathnora

Ok, point taken. . . . but you still sounded critical at the same time about schools being "on hols" during July and Aug. Perhaps if you had explained your circumstances in more detail as you have done in your last post other posters would have been less critical.
    Anyway, since the latest news re the proposed increase in the P/T ratio has been announced I think schools will be scrambling to take in new pupils up until Sept 30th and therefore you shouldn't have much bother in securing a place for your children.

Just desperation Kathnora was not being critical in any way!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Orion wrote: »
    It never ceases to amaze how people forget the first rule of boards is "don't be a dick"!

Sorry what? Are you serious, naive or just ... see above!

church no input ... lol ... f~cking hilarious ... did you hear the one about the catholic primary school without a priest running it ... neither did I ... oh yeah - that's the joke ... I need some more altar wine ...
    We are a large Catholic school,lay person as chairperson for years. Very few schools are "run" by priests anyhow, most priests I know would prefer not to be chairperson of a board and leave the school to the staff.

Kathnora wrote: »
    Ok, point taken. . . . but you still sounded critical at the same time about schools being "on hols" during July and Aug. Perhaps if you had explained your circumstances in more detail as you have done in your last post other posters would have been less critical.
    Anyway, since the latest news re the proposed increase in the P/T ratio has been announced I think schools will be scrambling to take in new pupils up until Sept 30th and therefore you shouldn't have much bother in securing a place for your children.
    I read no critisim what so ever, just someone stating the facts. I don't think we really needed to know the ops circumstances to answer her question.
    Best of luck with finding a school you are happy with op, between this and the unexpected move it must be a stressfl time!

Just to let all the positive posters know am SORTED with a school... actually 3 I had emailed came back...& managed to get my DD into one of choice.... ( secretarys in checking emails & Voicemails ..... persistance was key ):)

Advertisement