Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taqwacore

• 30-07-2011 12:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

Good article today in The Ticket about Taqwacore- Islamic Hardcore Punk.

Not the most punk publications I know, but I'd heard about this movement a while ago, though I've never actually listened to any of the bands. I thought it was cool to see it getting mainstream exposure. I think this film, or something quite like it, was aired at a festival I was at last year, but unfortunately I didn't get a chance to see it.

Any opinions or reccomendations on this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Brunteaphile

Haven't seen it myself. Looks decent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭suspectdevice

i recommend that we stop breaking punk into all these sub genres

punk is punk, the rest aint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

It's more of a movement than a genre- I've listened to a few different bands now and they're all pretty different. I see no problem with assigning a name to a specific tendency.

Besides, it's not about getting everything to fit into a box- it's just a useful tool for talking about different ways the music sounds. Unless you think Stiff Little Fingers sound exactly like Dead Kennedys.

Punk is not punk.
    It is to those who have no idea, i.e. followers of X-Factor and that malarky.
    Sub-genres are needed in genres like Punk, e.g. Crust-punk is nothing like SkaPunk.

Back on topic, yea had a listen to a few bands there on youtube.
    From one of the band's songs comments page;
    I'm not muslim but muslim punk is amazing and all punks should support it. It's a total rebirth in punk ethic and sound, not to mention it's one of the most outspoken religious counter-culture movements in decades.

• Advertisement

Undergod wrote: »
    It's more of a movement than a genre- I've listened to a few different bands now and they're all pretty different. I see no problem with assigning a name to a specific tendency.
    yeah, and you can forget all the movement stuff too. next thing you'll say is thats its ok for punks to have girlie smellly hair and hang to the left
    Besides, it's not about getting everything to fit into a box- it's just a useful tool for talking about different ways the music sounds. Unless you think Stiff Little Fingers sound exactly like Dead Kennedys.

not sure what you know about it but both are based in hardcore. well the slf first album was. then they lost the plot and produced a load of pop

yeah, but they still inspired me to think for myself and made it a personal thing and not some movement bs, some cult.

Punk is not punk.
    It is to those who have no idea, i.e. followers of X-Factor and that malarky.
    Sub-genres are needed in genres like Punk, e.g. Crust-punk is nothing like SkaPunk.
    ska punk is a sub of ska, not really a sub of punk. that why ska is the prefix. similarly others. punk is punk
    Back on topic, yea had a listen to a few bands there on youtube.
    From one of the band's songs comments page;

kominas were crap, are crap and always will be crap

yeah, and you can forget all the movement stuff too. next thing you'll say is thats its ok for punks to have girlie smellly hair and hang to the left

It's ok for anyone to do whatever they want, really. (Usual caveats re hurting others apply, of course)
    not sure what you know about it but both are based in hardcore. well the slf first album was. then they lost the plot and produced a load of pop

Fine, ****ing compare Black Flag and Bad Religion then, or something, you can see the point I'm making.
    yeah, but they still inspired me to think for myself and made it a personal thing and not some movement bs, some cult.

Who says a movement stops you from thinking for yourself? What cult are we talknig about here? The whole thing appears to me to be about reconciling Islamic faith with the individualism associated with punk. You know, individualsim: thinking for yourself.
    ska punk is a sub of ska, not really a sub of punk. that why ska is the prefix. similarly others. punk is punk

But do you honestly think that all punk sounds the same? If not, do you not think that certain musical tendencies within punk can be shared by a number of bands? If so, why not use some kind of name to identify those musical tendencies and, for simplicity's sake, refer to these bands by that name?
    kominas were crap, are crap and always will be crap

I really didn't like the first song I heard, but mostly I've enjoyed them.

It's ok for anyone to do whatever they want, really. (Usual caveats re hurting others apply, of course)
    so we believe in the inherent good nature in all people until they prove otherwise. i'm cool with that
    Fine, ****ing compare Black Flag and Bad Religion then, or something, you can see the point I'm making.
    both crap. maybe two or three songs by bad religion are acceptable. black flag meh
    Who says a movement stops you from thinking for yourself? What cult are we talknig about here? The whole thing appears to me to be about reconciling Islamic faith with the individualism associated with punk. You know, individualsim: thinking for yourself.
    the very fact that you are part of the collective means you ahve dampened your individualism

how can islamic faith, or any faith, or any deity - unless its jelllo, be compatible with punk?
    But do you honestly think that all punk sounds the same? If not, do you not think that certain musical tendencies within punk can be shared by a number of bands? If so, why not use some kind of name to identify those musical tendencies and, for simplicity's sake, refer to these bands by that name?
    no

it doesn't sound the same

but it doesn't sound like other defined genres either

is leonard cohen punk?

i guess i get frustrated that the core of punk get's diluted all the time and the thing that glues it together for me is more the attitude and the music. its when these match that i get it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZEsBNw4KUY

I really didn't like the first song I heard, but mostly I've enjoyed them.

didn't like any

so we believe in the inherent good nature in all people until they prove otherwise. i'm cool with that

?

I'm not sure where that came from, I'm just saying I don't particularly care if punks want to wear their hair whatever way.
    both crap. maybe two or three songs by bad religion are acceptable. black flag meh

But that's not the point! I'm not talknig about them being good or otherwise, I'm saying that it's silly to say "punk is punk" when these bands are clearly both punk, but sound so unalike.
    the very fact that you are part of the collective means you ahve dampened your individualism

how can islamic faith, or any faith, or any deity - unless its jelllo, be compatible with punk?

Yeah, but you could say that about punk in general as much as about any movement within punk. I think it's nonsense on any level. I'm straight, it's not the only aspect of my personality. I'm a musician in various styles, but none of them define my personality or ideas.
    no

it doesn't sound the same

but it doesn't sound like other defined genres either

is leonard cohen punk?

i guess i get frustrated that the core of punk get's diluted all the time and the thing that glues it together for me is more the attitude and the music. its when these match that i get it

And I don't think that there's any conflict between having a religious faith and having a punk ethic. I'm not religious in any sense, but on the other hand I don't think I can dictate that someone else's religion means they don't get to be punk. For me, the core of punk is a DIY attitude to the music you create- once you start adding string sections or whatever, I don't think it can be legitimately called punk. Not that I've anything against string sections, mind- they're great but in a different sphere. (Now, a case could be made for an all string-band with a DIY ethic, but that's just idle speculation.)

Can't say I care about dilution, or even consider it an issue- sure, you got big-label corporate ****e styling itself as punk, but that happens with literally everything. Once a band has got a DIY mindset, a bit of aggression and a ton of energy, I don't care if they're all old polyamorous anarcho-syndicalist shamen who sing about cooking vegan dishes, if they have good songs I'll listen to them and happily consider them punk.

Actually I would definitely listen to that band.

I'll admit I might be considered a bit of a hypocrite in that I really don't think I could listen to a racist band, no matter how punk they were or how good their songs are.

Didn't really like the Ruts, I'm afraid, but my tastes tend more towards hardcore stuff, and some pop-punk. To each their own!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

While we're on the topic of sub-genres... Can someone tell me what the **** "punkcore" is?? Lad posted a facebook event describing his band as this. I asked there, but got no answer :(

• Advertisement

Why does every thread turn into a rant between people over what is or isn't punk?

Punk is SH!TE! End of.

dregin wrote: »
    While we're on the topic of sub-genres... Can someone tell me what the **** "punkcore" is?? Lad posted a facebook event describing his band as this. I asked there, but got no answer :(

I guess it's hardcore punk with hardcore punk influences...

Advertisement