Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helicopters over Maynooth

Options
  • 30-07-2011 12:27am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know why there are helicopters circling Maynooth?
    There is what looks to me who doesn't know anything about helicopters like a twin prop and a normal helicopter.
    They went down toward Leixlip after circling for a while?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

Its the gardai helicopter serious search beam was being used. Came back and forth over straffan wood near motorway. Light beamed into back garden for a few seconds as they hovered over. Wonder what crime they are solving haha

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Saw the search beam being used too.
    It was covering a huge area by the looks of it,I missed it flying low over the house but got up to see what all the noise was so watched it circling.
    It is gone now.
    Wonder what they were looking for or if it was a training exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I dont think they are allowed to fly low after dark. And is reportable. Even the garda have to follow airspace rules. http://www.westonairport.com/monitoring-reporting.aspx

We have terrible trouble with army choppers in the north and complaints to the correct people get them on their merry way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

gsxr1 wrote: »
    I dont think they are allowed to fly low after dark. And is reportable. Even the garda have to follow airspace rules. http://www.westonairport.com/monitoring-reporting.aspx

We have terrible trouble with army choppers in the north and complaints to the correct people get them on their merry way.
    the key word in all of that is voluntary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Probably celebrating the acquittal of their cronies. Woo, drunk helicoptering, let's fly to the nearest garage for donuts! Unbelievably loud too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Probably celebrating the acquittal of their cronies. Woo, drunk helicoptering, let's fly to the nearest garage for donuts! Unbelievably loud too.

Probably searching for actual criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Probably preparing to reclaim The Curragh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Rosahane

gsxr1 wrote: »

Bit tongue in cheek given it's from from Weston:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Buffman

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Wonder what they were looking for or if it was a training exercise.

You can be assured there was a crime in progress if air support was called. They would not be training over a built up area at night.
    The aircraft are flown by the Air Corps out of Baldonnel and can fly at night.

There seems to be some negativity towards them on the thread, but if it was my house or car being robbed, I'd want the Gardai to do everything they could to catch the culprits.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Thanks Buffman:)

It was worried that something serious had happened,like someone fell in the canal or there had been an armed raid or some such.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 156 ✭✭ymurtagh

the reason they can't fly low at night, is because of the the power of the light beam,, it can blind you and burn your skin at low levels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Probably searching for actual criminals.

I hear the gardai search for actual criminals 1/10 of the time. The other 9 times they take names from the phone book randomly. Or so I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Paul_501

Glad I found this thread, because I was going crazy at no one believing me there were choppers about the other night. Pretty disturbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Leixlip..unless you have something constructive to add, it might be best from refraining. Two out of two posts bordering on unhelpful..well, is hardly good going for a thread.

Others take note of the same.

Advertisement