Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses Closing in Rush

Options
  • 30-07-2011 12:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

Their seems to be a lot of businesses closing in Rush lately. Xtravision, Geno's chiper, the sweet shop across from eurospar.

I have also been told of two more who will soon close soon but I won't mention them incase its only rumor. Granted Geno's and the sweet shop are only in and gone but I am concerned about the two big ones about to fall. I thought Tesco would cause some upset when they opened, but not months before they opened. The amount of empty buildings in the main street is getting a bit depressing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Take the back lanes. Fields are lookin' glorious *thumbs up*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Their seems to be a lot of businesses closing in Rush lately. Xtravision, Geno's chiper, the sweet shop across from eurospar.

I have also been told of two more who will soon close soon but I won't mention them incase its only rumor. Granted Geno's and the sweet shop are only in and gone but I am concerned about the two big ones about to fall. I thought Tesco would cause some upset when they opened, but not months before they opened. The amount of empty buildings in the main street is getting a bit depressing.

This could be a very serious blow to Rush. One major shop is definatley closing and I would have big concerns for another 4 or 5.

The big problem is getting these units into use again if or when they close in this economic climate. It could make the Main Street look very derilict if units are left empty for any lengh of time.

Of course residents do have the choice to keep them open by giving them some business because there is little chance of Fingal C.C being in a position to do anything about any annual charges they might have. There is good value in Rush shops on some items and some of the specials they have.
    Interestingly last wek I got a newsletter from Alan Farrell in my door and not 1 mention of Rush or anything of the positives thhat are going in with Tidy Towns, Rush C of C or Harbour festival but a nice headline about the €6,000,000 + fpr Malahide.
    Take the back lanes. Fields are lookin' glorious *thumbs up*

Eh you have me lost here:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

OP says the main street is depressing, I advise they take a stroll down the back lanes - less depressing.

If the major shop you're talking about is Spar then good fuppin' riddance. The manager would sooner spit on you than smile at you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

OP says the main street is depressing, I advise they take a stroll down the back lanes - less depressing.

If the major shop you're talking about is Spar then good fuppin' riddance. The manager would sooner spit on you than smile at you.

I was not talking about spar and your personal attacks on the manager are uncalled for. Lots of people work in Spar and depend on their job to make ends meet. Wishing a business will close because of one persons personality is quite immature to be honest.

I have not heard Spar mentioned but would imagine they could be hit hard enough. One or two of the staff in there are a bit rude but I find both managers ok to deal with.

Not sure I find the main St depressing. The Tidy Towns have worked tirelessly to give itt a lift and in fairness to them it has improved considerably from the time Kickstart first posted here about forming a new Tidy Towns group.

I can see where the OP is coming from but Its a sad fact every town in Ireland has vacant premises on the Streets Rush is no different and if these vacan building are at least ket neat it might not be so bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dubsontour

LeoB wrote: »
    I have not heard Spar mentioned but would imagine they could be hit hard enough. One or two of the staff in there are a bit rude but I find both managers ok to deal with.

Not sure I find the main St depressing. The Tidy Towns have worked tirelessly to give itt a lift and in fairness to them it has improved considerably from the time Kickstart first posted here about forming a new Tidy Towns group.

I can see where the OP is coming from but Its a sad fact every town in Ireland has vacant premises on the Streets Rush is no different and if these vacan building are at least ket neat it might not be so bad.

Totally agree Leo the village looks brilliant at the moment well done to all the volunteers. Had family down over the weekend and everyone remarked how lovely the village looks. Well done to everyone who organised the Rush festival as well. seems to have been a remarkable success... Thank you..

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Was just through Rush for the first time in a while there yesterday. Looked good to me.

A new indian takeaway has opened in old Genos so thats a positive.
    I thought after Xtravision closed someone would have installed one of those DVD vending machines in their store, surly that would bring more footfall and its definitely a gap in the market now.

The main street is looking fantastic with all the hanging baskets in full flower and in fairness the majority of store fronts are kept in tip top shape.
    I agree with LeoB and try to shop in the village when I can. Their is great value to be had and some ripoff prices too. You just need to be on your toes as you would in any village or shopping centre.

I hear the sweet shop is reopening as the kandy kabbin later this week.
    I wish them every success.

Have had a chat with staff members from the 2 major shops in Rush and one of them confirmed that where they work, Centra is closing in October, relocating to Turvey service area and I heard that the other will not be re-newing its lease when it expires, I dont when that will be.

From what I have been told it will mean 15 jobs gone and the possibility of more to follow. Depending on how the lease issue unfolds

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

LeoB wrote: »
    Have had a chat with staff members from the 2 major shops in Rush and one of them confirmed that where they work, Centra is closing in October, relocating to Turvey service area and I heard that the other will not be re-newing its lease when it expires, I dont when that will be.

From what I have been told it will mean 15 jobs gone and the possibility of more to follow. Depending on how the lease issue unfolds

Tesco is bringing 80 jobs plus they will prob throw a few euros in sponsorship at the local clubs to keep them sweet, allow them to do a bit of bag packing as well. Get the local growers to give some veg away on opening day at their own expense not Tesco. Anyone else find bag packers worse than chuggers.

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Tesco is bringing 80 jobs
    I read somewhere that for every job a new Tesco creates, 3 local jobs are lost.

Not for or against Tesco just saying!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

that is sad to hear about the shops closing!

rush needs to get rid of those awful ramps through the village. i've scraped the bottom of my exhaust a number of times, so i will not go there anymore.

i used to go in to the AIB, as i prefer rush's branch to balbriggan... but the ramps put me off going into rush at all. i know they are meant to be a deterrent to "boy racers" or speeding or something, but they are in rag order and i just don't want my car wrecked!

that is sad to hear about the shops closing!

rush needs to get rid of those awful ramps through the village. i've scraped the bottom of my exhaust a number of times, so i will not go there anymore.

i used to go in to the AIB, as i prefer rush's branch to balbriggan... but the ramps put me off going into rush at all. i know they are meant to be a deterrent to "boy racers" or speeding or something, but they are in rag order and i just don't want my car wrecked!

They where repaired weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

The boys racers are still about so they didn't really deter.

Corsendonk wrote: »
    The boys racers are still about so they didn't really deter.

Agreed, the ramps just moved them on to South Shore Rd, Lr. Main St and anywhere else there are no ramps.

Its a thorny issue the Jobs Tesco really create. I have heard various numbers about the amount of other jobs that will go so what will be the net gain for any community they come into. Will they be 80 full-time jobs or 30 full time with the rest on 4 hours contracts? Can people afford to work for them? These local shops play a big role in most communities and Rush over the years has lost St. Ledgers, Gerties, Billies, Plus 4s, Mitchells, Martins, Doyles all very small shops but vital in the day to day community. I dread to think what the Main St will be like in 12 months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

My wife a speaking with someone who lives in the town and is looking to open a sports shop in Rush, has the backing, has suppliers, however is being hampered by lack of response from premises owners and/or lack of willingness of owners to discuss rent terms.

Quite sad really...owners/landlords need to wake up! :rolleyes:

Hopefully something will work out.

Advertisement