Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

budget HTPC build

Options
  • 30-07-2011 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

Hi all

I am completely new to pc building, but planning to take the plunge for a HTPC to replace my aging emprex media player!

My main use will be streaming media (HD, all popular current formats, and hopefully capable of future formats also), and occasional web browsing. I might add a TV/Sat tuner at some stage, so keen to get as many PCI-E slots as I can to facilitate this. Cash is very tight so looking to keep build cost as low as possible.

I have included below what I am thinking of at present. I am open to suggestions on the case, but am limited by space. As a HTPC I want the kit to be as quiet as possible, but finding it hard to get any info on the noise that will be produced by the kit. I will be using my own HDD until I can afford an SSD, and will hold off on a CD drive for now also. Would an external PSU be quieter, and if so are these available easily?

Any comments on the build below? Also, finding it difficult to determine if I'll need to purchase a CPU cooler for this? If there's any vital bits of info I have neglected to give, then my apologies. If there is anything I can add to help you to help me, then just let me know!

Total build cost: €124.05 + €30 shipping
    ASUS M4A78LT-M, Sockel AM3, mATX €46.99
    AMD Athlon II X2 255 Tray, Sockel AM3 €45.97
    4GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance Low Profile blau PC3-12800U CL9 €31.09

Total build cost: £45.57 (inc Delivery £7.99 and VAT £7.60)
    Colors IT S003B Black Slim micro-ATX/ITX Case with 300w PSU £35.98

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Leman

Well, yes you MUST have a cpu cooler, but you can either get the Box version of the CPU (€5 more, comes with a cheapo fan) or get a fanless passive heatsink or even just a cheap AM3 cooler from Quiet PC.

A great site for silent kit is QuietPc.ie.

That case comes with a Power Supply so there is no need to buy one separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭tipperary

Hi Leman

thanks for the quick response. Just wondering, when you say 'comes with a cheapo fan', is this a polite way of saying a noisy heap of rubbish, or not necessarily so?

On the power supply, while the case I selected has a power supply, I have no idea if this is a quiet, reliable unit. I know for the price I can't be expecting too much, and would be willing to look around if a good external PSU would be more suitable.

thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Leman

tipperary wrote: »
    Hi Leman

thanks for the quick response. Just wondering, when you say 'comes with a cheapo fan', is this a polite way of saying a noisy heap of rubbish, or not necessarily so?

On the power supply, while the case I selected has a power supply, I have no idea if this is a quiet, reliable unit. I know for the price I can't be expecting too much, and would be willing to look around if a good external PSU would be more suitable.

thanks again!

Fair enough. I am not an expert on quiet PSU, but generally they charge a premium for the luxury, so I wouldn't know if that's in your budget. The cheapest on QuiestPC is €50 after all, and then you'll need a case.

But yeah, the cheapo fans aren't the best unfortunately. They can be rather loud. Pick up a nice Arctic Cooler for cheaps.

You also seem to be missing a graphics card. While you won't need a €600 monster, you should get something like a fanless 5450. It won't run crysis but it'll do what you need. :P

And while I normally would tie people to rocks in the Shannon for using a case with a inbuilt PSU, for low powered HTPC, it's fine since the draw is so low you won't run into issues. That being said, others will know more than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

One options would be to look at an ASUS E35M1-M (mb, cpu and heatsink in one package). While it is a far slower CPU, it has better graphics than the IGP in the other board, will draw less power then the x2 setup, and of course while it still needs airflow it is a passive design so should be pretty quiet.

169023.jpg

Looking at the case you've selected (smashing looking case btw), as it's half height it has a PSU smaller then normal, so I don't know how easy it would be to replace the PSU if you had to, although given the size of the case that's only to be expected.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭tipperary

Thanks dazberry. That combination looks pretty good alright. The lower power and lack of fan are definite plusses. I was looking to future proof the setup as much as possible with the xII processor, and being able to replace this if required. I guess I just need to figure out exactly what I want from the machine and go from there.

Do you think the E35M1-M be powerful enough to run a TV/satellite card? Adding one of these is the most likely addition I would be making, using the main PC for any video editing etc.

If I did have hassle with the case PSU I guess I could just get an external PSU unit so should be OK there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

tipperary wrote: »
    I was looking to future proof the setup as much as possible with the xII processor, and being able to replace this if required. I guess I just need to figure out exactly what I want from the machine and go from there.

Yes that's the big catch with that board as you can't change the processor, and ironically the E-350 is a newer design from the Athlon. Just also remember that because you are looking at a half height case you will need a low profile CPU fan for the system, so that may limit you as to what you can effectively use in the system.
    Do you think the E35M1-M be powerful enough to run a TV/satellite card? Adding one of these is the most likely addition I would be making, using the main PC for any video editing etc.

Honestly don't know. I use a similar setup for general browsers, watching DVDs and DivXs and streaming internet content at 1650x1024 and works great. Video encoding, VMWare and games etc., I do on other machines.

D.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

dazberry wrote: »
    One options would be to look at an ASUS E35M1-M (mb, cpu and heatsink in one package). While it is a far slower CPU, it has better graphics than the IGP in the other board, will draw less power then the x2 setup, and of course while it still needs airflow it is a passive design so should be pretty quiet.

Looking at the case you've selected (smashing looking case btw), as it's half height it has a PSU smaller then normal, so I don't know how easy it would be to replace the PSU if you had to, although given the size of the case that's only to be expected.

D.

What would you recommend to go with this for a quiet htpc? I presume a case, hard drive, memory, and dvd drive. Any place they can all be purchased from that you'd recommend?

Advertisement