Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9th Lock Bridge in Clondalkin

Options
  • 30-07-2011 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Howdy folks,

I've always had an interest in canals, probably stemming from growing up in an estate in Clondalkin backing onto the Grand Canal (Ashwood).

I also like the old humpback bridges that crossed them (despite the terror of having to learn to drive over them).....I'm thinking of the (now unused) twisty bridge over the canal at Killeen Road in Ballyfermot, or the 12th Lock in Lucan!!

I wonder though does anyone remember what the bridge beside the Waterside Pub in Clondalkin used to look like before it was flattened out and given the concrete treatment? Or do you know when the work was done? I grew up close-by, but amn't old enough and both my parents who are in their mid-fifties can't remember either, though they only moved to Clondalkin about 30 years ago.

Last question..... does anyone have a photo of it before it was changed? (I've searched online but there's only modern photos available....am thinking of dropping into the library in the village to see if they have one).

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I imagine they all looked very similar.

Talk to Waterways Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Yes, I have an interest too. But why o why are they lifeless. The canals should be full of boats for tourists.

Little cafes enroute, would be great. Camping out etc.

Golfers travelling on the boats too, even serving some form of cold snacks etc.

You can travel the triangle route , royal, grand and shannon, now that would be some experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Thee's a girl who does canal walks for schools based in Bawnogue Resource Centre. She's a real enthusiast and should certainly have the info you require. Can't think of her name but the Resource Centre or Waterways Ireland should be able to put you in touch with her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

It was a very small narrow bridge,Full off traffic as the areas got busier,the walkway on the canal its self was just a rough walkway down towards Ballyfermot,The waterfront was then called palmers pub,then called the 9th lock,You should check out clondalkin heritage group they certainly would have more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

James 007 wrote: »
    Yes, I have an interest too. But why o why are they lifeless. The canals should be full of boats for tourists.

Little cafes enroute, would be great. Camping out etc.

Golfers travelling on the boats too, even serving some form of cold snacks etc.

You can travel the triangle route , royal, grand and shannon, now that would be some experience.

The only life I saw along the green route recently was kids walking up the bank and jumping from the M50 bridge into the canal between the 8th and 9th locks.

I'd love to be able to cycle along the route and the kissing gates don't bother me but the glass strewn pathways don't agree with my bike. It's a shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'd love to be able to cycle along the route and the kissing gates don't bother me but the glass strewn pathways don't agree with my bike. It's a shame.
    On the new pathways?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

The new pathways are brilliant and i cycle them regularly, haven't seem any glass filled paths,must start being more observant.:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

realies wrote: »
    The new pathways are brilliant and i cycle them regularly, haven't seem any glass filled paths,must start being more observant.:-)

I've got two punctures, one on the bit round Kilcronan and the other near the exit at Yellowmeadows. It did get cleaned up ahead of the 10k race but it doesn't take long for someone to smash a bottle or two.

Advertisement